Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simmons Vs De Burca on Radio 1

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

So Caroline Simmons and Deirdre de Burca have just been on Pat Kenny; I'd say the recording will be available later in Realplayer format for anyone who missed it. More of the usual noise with no real substance from Simmons. I think Libertas are going to have a problem with the fact that a lot of their candidates are right-wing eurosceptics, and pretty much all of them are anti-EU, despite what Ganley might claim. Some points that stood out:

1. Caroline got a rap on the knuckles early on for using Wikipedia as a reference source for an attack on Daniel Cohn-Bendit. Very amateurish from a solicitor.

2. On funding, she said that Libertas had complied with SIPO on the Lisbon campaign funding. Pat later quoted an Irish Times article [Edit: this one] from early March which said that SIPO were not happy with their funding. She responded by saying that they by March 31st, Libertas were compliant. Pat to find out more before the program ends.

3. Simmons made the claim that FDI becomes an exclusive competence of the EU with Lisbon. I know FDI becomes more integrated in EU policy with Lisbon, but I don't recall it becoming an exclusive competence. More mis-representation by Libertas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Anyone interested the link is here. It starts 20 mins in.

Simmons really doesn't come out of it well. Doesn't really respond to any of the questions put to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

r14 wrote: »
    ... Simmons really doesn't come out of it well...

That is masterly understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

3. Simmons made the claim that FDI becomes an exclusive competence of the EU with Lisbon. I know FDI becomes more integrated in EU policy with Lisbon, but I don't recall it becoming an exclusive competence. More mis-representation by Libertas?

Lisbon creates no exclusive competences whatsoever. These are the new shared competences and support/coordination areas:
    The Lisbon Treaty proposes to give the EU competence in new areas. None of these is an area of exclusive competence.

* Joint competence: New areas include space and energy
    * Member states competence but the EU may provide support: new areas include civil protection, intellectual property, tourism, administrative co-operation and sport

From here. The new competences are right at the bottom of the page.

It is, therefore, a flat lie by Simmons.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Thanks Scofflaw.

Just to add, on point 2 above in my OP (SIPO), there was further info later in the program about Libertas' funding. Apparently Libertas have filed something with SIPO since the date of the article mentioned, and it is being analysed by SIPO. This was reported around 11.30 in the program, about 90 minutes in.

Advertisement