Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy savings, the ESB and Irish language

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Something that I find hard to say and that I only have recently come to learn myself....

The irish language is not of any use to anyone in the present world we live in. This was something I found hard to take in when it was mentioned before me ,but it's actually very true.

The irish language is of great pride to irish people ,but it is of no benefit to the world globally. The time seems to have passed where a language stood for anything more than communication.

In recent times ,I've found the spanish language of major significance. But in general nobody batters an eyelid here in ireland.

Anyways ,slan.

As doflnep said, the vast majority of languages are little benefit to the world globally. And if anything the Irish language seems to be more use to us now than it was at any time in the past 100 years. Its getting pretty hard to see where we start and America, Britain and other globalised English speaking countries end. We are part of a cultural blur at the moment and I see the language as one way of setting ourselves apart but if your quite happy to be lumped in with our American and British friends then I can see how you would want to protest.
    I think the Irish langauge gets a hell of a lot more use than e-voting machines and that fecking erection on O'Connell street called the spire that my feckin taxes went towards, or all the wasters that were claiming dole when there were jobs falling out of the sky a few years back, but ya see the aul Gaelige is an easy target because the anti-Irish (language) group know only a minority speak it and its easy to get people to think with their wallets before their hearts. Maybe I'm a sentimental fool but in a time when we've become completely obsessed with money I don't think you can put a value on the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

cliste wrote:
    I've provided a link which says that 93% are in favour of preserving the language.
    What is meant by 'preserve'? I think you're reading too much into a fuzzy sense of goodwill towards the language. Ask them to choose between hospitals and more services in the Irish langauge.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Prove it! I ask you to prove that there is a small number of tax payers willing to fund the Irish language. Do you think if they had an issue with it all this time, they would have stayed quiet about it?
    The proof is that there are already a number of services provided in Irish and only small minority of people use them.
    The majority of the population are more than happy to support Gaeilge.
    But not to speak it.
    So whatever way you spin it - the majority of the people support the language, support it's funding, and even support more funds for it.
    The majority of the population have not been asked if they support the ultimate cost of the OLA.
    You've lost this debate.
    It's not about winning or losing. It's about doing what is right for the economy and about how best applying limited resources to secure the best outcome (with the available money) for the Irish language in the context of general goodwill from the majority and a small number of people actually prepared to speak it.

If the Irish lobby were in "Dragons's Den", they'd have been challenged to back up their demands with market research and to give cost projections.

Your numbers don't make sense - I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My numbers make perfect sense, and they obliterate your argument into the ground. The majority of the people support the funding, and even further funding of the language. You tried to dispute the amount of people who support it's funding - I highlighted otherwise, in categoric terms.

You lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

What is meant by 'preserve'? I think you're reading too much into a fuzzy sense of goodwill towards the language. Ask them to choose between hospitals and more services in the Irish langauge.

I think you're vastly overestimating the cost.

I also don't see why you're making that comparison - hows about Irish or Electronic voting?
    If the Irish lobby were in "Dragons's Den", they'd have been challenged to back up their demands with market research and to give cost projections.

Your numbers don't make sense - I'm out.

Slán Brian! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Are you saying that we can't discuss things on the Irish forum (again look at teach na nGealt, we can discuss things there - and do)

Read what I quoted again: Even you recognise the reality on a superficial level even as you do you best to deny it.
    If we had it as Gaeilge it would solve having to listen to newDubliner, Sand etc - however I think we'd all be in agreement, and so there would be nothing to discuss.

Thats your own words Cliste. If you had this debate in Irish only a tiny minority of Irish people would be able to actually participate in it. The fact we are having this debate in English - that we *have* to have this debate in English - is evidence enough of the real, everyday use of Irish.

And yes, there might be a few groups that exist purely to use some conversational Irish, much as there are similar groups that exist for getting practises using languages like Mandarin.

That the removal of state lifesupport is the most terrifying thing Irish speakers (all 30 of them) can imagine is evidence enough of the real strength of the Irish language.

Heres a compromise:

Lets say the government removes any requirement for official languages. Irish is not an official language, and neither is English. People and state agencies can speak in and use any language they wish for reports. Given 93% of people want to speak and use Irish then surely, Irish usage would explode out of the traps once this cumbersome requirement to print reports in English is done away with? Its a living, breathing lanaguage right? Theres just a massive amount of it going on out there isnt there?

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    Read what I quoted again: Even you recognise the reality on a superficial level even as you do you best to deny it.

Thats your own words Cliste. If you had this debate in Irish only a tiny minority of Irish people would be able to actually participate in it. The fact we are having this debate in English - that we *have* to have this debate in English - is evidence enough of the real, everyday use of Irish.

Thats not what I said at all - Don't you dare Misrepresent my words like that.

I'll explain again, and hopefully you'll understand - AND OFFER A RETRACTION:

The reason that *THIS* debate is not seen on the Irish Language forum is that nobody disagrees with the OLA. Since nobody disagrees with it we have a situation where we all log on, agree on how wonderful it is, and log off. The only issues that really get discussed are controversial ones - ie ones where people disagree, and insist on questioning everyone else's every last word.

My numbers make perfect sense, and they obliterate your argument into the ground. The majority of the people support the funding, and even further funding of the language. You tried to dispute the amount of people who support it's funding - I highlighted otherwise
    When asked if they supported additional funding to promote Irish, was an estimate of the cost given to the people who were polled?

When asked if they supported additional funding to promote Irish, was an estimate of the cost given to the people who were polled?

Nope - It doesn't negate the fact that they are willing to provide more funds to it, regardless of the current cost. Do you think Irish people are a bunch of idiots and don't understand that something like language promotion requires adequate funding?

Don't try wriggle out of it. You know full well that the people of Ireland support the Irish language and it's funds.

More the reason to continue to fund it, and provide even more funds and revamp the curriculum.
    And yes, there might be a few groups that exist purely to use some conversational Irish, much as there are similar groups that exist for getting practises using languages like Mandarin.

What has Mandarin got to do with the Irish language? Do we have Mandarin gaeltacht's in Ireland? Oh - that's right. We don't. Do we have 10,000 people marching in Belfast for an Mandarin language act? That's right - We don't. Do we have 100's of Mandarin conversational groups, popping up all over the country outside of the Gaeltachtaí, because people genuinely want to pursue the language? That's right we don't.

But we DO for Irish. So don't try downplay the Irish language.
    Heres a compromise:

Lets say the government removes any requirement for official languages. Irish is not an official language, and neither is English. People and state agencies can speak in and use any language they wish for reports. Given 93% of people want to speak and use Irish then surely, Irish usage would explode out of the traps once this cumbersome requirement to print reports in English is done away with? Its a living, breathing lanaguage right? Theres just a massive amount of it going on out there isnt there?

And how are they going to learn the Irish language? No education? You'd make a perfect enforcer of English back with the creation of the National schools when Irish was forbid from being apart of the daily curriculum.

Irish is here to stay! The Irish people support the language and it's funding. It's that simple really. And I'll HAPPILY soak up your tax to fund it - And you can use my tax to fund your.. well, whatever it is you do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

The Irish people support the language and it's funding. It's that simple really.

Curiously, they don't support it to the extent that they'd learn it and use it on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

Soldie wrote: »
    Curiously, they don't support it to the extent that they'd learn it and use it on a daily basis.

That's at the fault of the curriculum. So no, it's not very curious at all when you look at it in a rational manner. If they were able to attain reasonable fluency during school - then they would be able to use it on a daily basis.. But because there is no immersion environment or classes in school - the chances of them learning the language to a reasonable level is very limited.

Outside of school, with a full-time job and a family - it's quite hard to find time to learn any language. So it's fair to say, that the primary issue here is the curriculum and not the fondness of the language. Irrespective of how you would like to spin it - every poll suggests categorical support of the language and it's funding - which is the issue at hand it.

Thats not what I said at all - Don't you dare Misrepresent my words like that.

"Don't you dare"? :rolleyes:
    The reason that *THIS* debate is not seen on the Irish Language forum is that nobody disagrees with the OLA. Since nobody disagrees with it we have a situation where we all log on, agree on how wonderful it is, and log off. The only issues that really get discussed are controversial ones - ie ones where people disagree, and insist on questioning everyone else's every last word.

As for misrepresent, youre into full spin and damage control. Lets see what you said again.
    If we had it as Gaeilge it would solve having to listen to newDubliner, Sand etc - however I think we'd all be in agreement

See, you said "as Gaeilge". I underlined it so you couldnt miss it. Now Ill admit my Irish is, like 99% of Irish people, just good enough to repeat by rote a few phrases to jump through the hoops shoved down our throats in the vain effort to "immerse" us in the language....BUT...as Gaeilge would translate to "in Irish" as opposed to "in the Irish language sub forum of Boards.ie"

"Don't you dare" indeed :rolleyes: Off that high horse.
    Do you think Irish people are a bunch of idiots and don't understand that something like language promotion requires adequate funding?

Uh, yes?

If you present a question like "Do you want to see an end to world hunger" youre going to get a far more positive response than "Do you want to double taxation so you buy food for some foreign layabouts who wont buy their own?".

If you were to cost the Irish spend and then ask people in the time of cutbacks, do they want to see cutbacks in hospitals or translating government documents to a language no one reads...well, you might get a far more realistic language.

Actually lets check - would you prefer to preserve hospital beds? Or that the report on how terrible the hospital facilities are being translated into Irish?

I know youll try dodge the question, but lets see if you can actually answer it. Ill assume any dodging is prefering to cut hospital beds by the way.
    Do we have 100's of Mandarin conversational groups, popping up all over the country outside of the Gaeltachtaí, because people genuinely want to pursue the language?

Yeah, we do. Far more people use Madarinin their daily lives in Ireland than use Irish.
    And how are they going to learn the Irish language? No education?

Im sure the hundreds of Irish conversational groups that are popping up all over the country will be able to accomadate them. Didnt the original Irish revival occur through motivated, interested groups of people as opposed to a state imposed effort?

Anyway, note that I didnt say the end Irish are part of the ciriculum. I said remove any official langage status from any langauge - English or Irish. Both languages could and would remain part of the ciriculum in whatever way seems most appropriate.
    You'd make a perfect enforcer of English back with the creation of the National schools when Irish was forbid from being apart of the daily curriculum.

Thats fairly ironic. You're far more fond of using the state to force use of a language down someones throat than I am.

That's at the fault of the curriculum. So no, it's not very curious at all when you look at it in a rational manner. If they were able to attain reasonable fluency during school - then they would be able to use it on a daily basis.. But because there is no immersion environment or classes in school - the chances of them learning the language to a reasonable level is very limited.

Outside of school, with a full-time job and a family - it's quite hard to find time to learn any language. So it's fair to say, that the primary issue here is the curriculum and not the fondness of the language. Irrespective of how you would like to spin it - every poll suggests categorical support of the language and it's funding - which is the issue at hand it.

That's it? Blame the system? That seems like a fairly weak excuse to me. If people want to speak Irish then they'll go and learn it in order to do so, but the will clearly isn't there. It's all well and good saying that the people of Ireland support the language, but they don't. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Nope - It doesn't negate the fact that they are willing to provide more funds to it,... You know full well that the people of Ireland support the Irish language and it's funds.
    Some money may be justified. But, the question is how much?

What can you tell us about the methodology of the poll: Who drafted the questions? Who selected the population sample? Was it professionally conducted? What measures were taken to ensure that no duplicate polls were cast? Was it independently audited?

Actually lets check - would you prefer to preserve hospital beds? Or that the report on how terrible the hospital facilities are being translated into Irish?

Health is obviously more important than language development. But that's a weak argument, considering tax is separated out to fund separate areas. I know where you are trying to go with this - So, should we just scrap education alltogether - in order to provide more beds in hospital? Should we scrap parking facilities in cities, in order to provide more beds in hospital? What about youth facilities such as sports fields and youth centres - Should we scrap those for beds in hospital? Of course not! And in the same respect, we're not going to scrap our language either.

There is support for the language, and while there is support - there will always be funds allocated.
    Yeah, we do. Far more people use Madarinin their daily lives in Ireland than use Irish.

LOL.. You're so deluded, you actually believe this. Show me facts and figures that show this - If you can't, shut up.
    Anyway, note that I didnt say the end Irish are part of the ciriculum. I said remove any official langage status from any langauge - English or Irish. Both languages could and would remain part of the ciriculum in whatever way seems most appropriate.

You mean - in a way "you" see appropriate.

That's it? Blame the system? That seems like a fairly weak excuse to me. If people want to speak Irish then they'll go and learn it in order to do so, but the will clearly isn't there. It's all well and good saying that the people of Ireland support the language, but they don't. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Yes - of course I blame the system. It's not a weak excuse, just because "you" say it is. It's a perfectly valid excuse. People don't speak the language because they "can't". They "can't" because the curriculum is not a functional way of language instruction.

Not everyone has the free time with a family and a job to give the time that's required to learn a language, which is quite alot. I have given alot of hours, every week for the past 2 years and I'm still not fluent (although I do now have a good basic working foundation of the language, all through immersion).

It's not "all good and well saying people support the language". It just so happens to be a matter of "fact". You know, something that we have highlighted with sources - While you and your begrudged friends continue to pretend that there is no support for the language without any validation or even one ounce of credibility. You are categorically wrong in stating that - and by trying to validate it because the entire population "can't" speak the language is a very weak stance and will ultimately get you nowhere.

Yes - of course I blame the system. It's not a weak excuse, just because "you" say it is. It's a perfectly valid excuse. People don't speak the language because they "can't". They "can't" because the curriculum is not a functional way of language instruction.

Not everyone has the free time with a family and a job to give the time that's required to learn a language, which is quite alot. I have given alot of hours, every week for the past 2 years and I'm still not fluent (although I do now have a good basic working foundation of the language, all through immersion).

It's not "all good and well saying people support the language". It just so happens to be a matter of "fact". You know, something that we have highlighted with sources - While you and your begrudged friends continue to pretend that there is no support for the language without any validation or even one ounce of credibility. You are categorically wrong in stating that - and by trying to validate it because the entire population "can't" speak the language is a very weak stance and will ultimately get you nowhere.

If I wanted to I could learn Irish, but I don't want to because I have no interest. This is true of many people. The reality is that a very small fraction of Irish people can actually speak Irish, and regardless of what the rest of Irish people say - that they support the language, for example -there is little to substantiate their claim. To me, what people do seems like a better way to judge opinion than by what they say. There is absolutely no justification for forcing a language upon people, and no amount of jingoistic claptrap is going to change that.

Also, what's with the random quotation "marks"?

If I wanted to I could learn Irish, but I don't want to because I have no interest.

You don't. What bearing has that got to do with the majority of the people who would like to learn it?
    This is true of many people.

Many being a very subjective term.

The reality is that a very small fraction of Irish people can actually speak Irish, and regardless of what the rest of Irish people say - that they support the language, for example -there is little to substantiate their claim.

Aside from the fact the two polls we've presented which indicate quite categorically that they do infact, support the language. They must all be liars then, right?

To me, what people do seems like a better way to judge opinion than by what they say.

Of course there is - And it is your stance, from what I understand - that because they do not speak it, or study it after school - where time is short, and the cost of learning is pretty high (250 euro for a 10 week course for me) - It comes at no surprise that they do not or cannot speak. It is certainly not down to the fact that they all don't want to.

I'll put it to you that when I am out at our conversational nights - If I had a euro for everyone who said to me "I think it's great you're speaking Irish - I'd love to learn, but it's hard to find time, or classes" - I'd be a wealthy person.

There is absolutely no justification for forcing a language upon people, and no amount of jingoistic claptrap is going to change that.

How is it forcing a language upon them, when over 90% of them support the language? If the majority of the population support the language and support it's funding - then surely, that's justification enough?

Oh - I get it - Because you and a few begrudgers don't want to learn it, that's justification enough for removing it from Irish society - despite the majority of the people's continuing support for it, right?

Health is obviously more important than language development. But that's a weak argument, considering tax is separated out to fund separate areas. I know where you are trying to go with this - So, should we just scrap education alltogether - in order to provide more beds in hospital?

Did I say education? I said translating the reports on the hospitals into Irish vs preserving beds in hospitals.

We are in an era when the government has to find 30 BILLION in saving. 30 BILLION. Services are going to be slashed. Public servants and civil servants are going to be slashed. The question is, do we keep nurses? Or do we keep people translating documents from English into Irish? Whose more vital? That cystic fibrosis sufferers get their proper treatment, or that they get told "Srry, npe" as Gaeilge?

Now - Every euro spent on translating documents from English into Irish in some futile effort to "immerse" us in the language is a euro stolen from something useful: education, health, law enforcement and so on.
    You mean - in a way "you" see appropriate.

Nope in the way thats appropriate - English is obviously the every day language of use. Lessons would tend to concentrate on proper grammar (kill txt spk) and the reading of famous works to get a basic introduction to literature.

Irish will need to be taught on the same basis as a foreign language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Irish will need to be taught on the same basis as a foreign language

Thing is its not foreign.

• Advertisement

Aside from the fact the two polls we've presented which indicate quite categorically that they do infact, support the language. They must all be liars then, right? ...If the majority of the population support the language and support it's funding - then surely, that's justification enough?
    Another possibility is that your polls are invalid. You've avoided my questions about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

jank wrote:
    Thing is its not foreign.

It is foreign in the eyes of many people in this country. Many protestants, people in Dublin, non-nationals and people of non-Irish descent feel very little attachment to the language. For many of them, Irish is nothing more than the language of the bog-thick Irish ethnics outside the pale.

Personally, I think we should suspend rather than abolish the teaching and translation of documents into Irish. The deficit is so massive that we can't afford to be spending billions every year trying to revive a language that we failed to revive when the economy was in better shape. When we do resume the teaching and translation into Irish in another four or five years, those people who see Irish as a foreign language and who resent seeing their taxes being spent on reviving it should be given the opportunity to claim back the thousands of euros of their taxes that the government is spending on Irish on their behalf each year. It would be the same as how atheists in Germany can claim back the money that their government gives to the churches each year.

Another possibility is that your polls are invalid. You've avoided my questions about them.

People were asked questions regarding their attitude towards the language. They answered it. Now either, you're calling them all liars or the poll is perfectly valid. I'm willing the go with the latter.

O'Morris wrote: »
    It is foreign in the eyes of many people in this country. Many protestants, people in Dublin, non-nationals and people of non-Irish descent feel very little attachment to the language. For many of them, Irish is nothing more than the language of the bog-thick Irish ethnics outside the pale.

But yet, there is no evidence in the poll to support that. While 93% in the poll were in favour of the language - only actually 85% of those polled were Irish-born.

And just because someone is a protestant doesn't mean that they aren't inclined to take to the language.

It's a moot point either way, because over 90% of the population don't feel it's foreign, and support the language fully. Until you show me a poll that states otherwise, I'm going to go with fact, opposed to speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

I think the word you are looking for is Unionists, not Protestants.

And the opinion studies don't seem to support your claims. Instead of projecting and saying "others" feel this way, why not show some courgage and say "I feel this way".

I suspect it's because you rather understand that the claim that Irish is "foreign" is not defendable.
    Personally, I think we should suspend rather than abolish the teaching and translation of documents into Irish. The deficit is so massive that we can't afford to be spending billions every year trying to revive a language that we failed to revive when the economy was in better shape. When we do resume the teaching and translation into Irish in another four or five years, those people who see Irish as a foreign language and who resent seeing their taxes being spent on reviving it should be given the opportunity to claim back the thousands of euros of their taxes that the government is spending on Irish on their behalf each year. It would be the same as how atheists in Germany can claim back the money that their government gives to the churches each year.

Perhaps you are unaware of this, but Irish is the first official language of the Republic. It's not simply going to be "suspended" to save some money in the budget.

You as an opponent of Irish can't be so lazy as too think like this. The first step to meeting your goal is the removal of Irish as our first official language. It looks as though you'll have to start from scratch as there is no serious political movement advocating this. But every journey starts with the first step, and think of all that money that needs to be "saved". That is, after all your genuine concern, right?

"Don't you dare"? :rolleyes:

As for misrepresent, youre into full spin and damage control. Lets see what you said again.

See, you said "as Gaeilge". I underlined it so you couldnt miss it. Now Ill admit my Irish is, like 99% of Irish people, just good enough to repeat by rote a few phrases to jump through the hoops shoved down our throats in the vain effort to "immerse" us in the language....BUT...as Gaeilge would translate to "in Irish" as opposed to "in the Irish language sub forum of Boards.ie"

"Don't you dare" indeed :rolleyes: Off that high horse.

Glad to see you're living in your own little world - I thought we all knew that the politics forum was as Béarla (and I've been in other threads with you, and I have had Irish removed - lest it be offensive to others). I assumed you could put 1 and 1 together, and get two - not 51.

But then again thats the problem - you don't seem to be able to look at this rationally - All through the thread there has been demands for the cost - and it's in the fecking public domain, not up my sleeve.

Then I think that we have the new direction of pointless questioning: "Another possibility is that your polls are invalid. You've avoided my questions about them." I think NewDubliner can at least find some polls that disagree with the ones provided.

Then Sand again brings up the whole - 'we need to save money' argument - think about the children type stuff. Stopping translations to Irish would not make a dent in the 30 Billion - you are vastly overestimating the cost of translations.

dlofnep wrote:
    While 93% in the poll were in favour of the language - only actually 85% of those polled were Irish-born.

What exactly does being in favour of something mean though? People can be in favour of something without necessarily being supportive of it. If you asked the same people were they in favour of the Welsh language what kind of response do you think they would give?

Exile 1798 wrote:
    why not show some courgage and say "I feel this way".

I have problems expressing my feelings.

As an Irish nationalist I am a strong supporter of the Irish language and I have no problem with seeing my taxes being spent on the translation of documents into Irish. As we're in a severe recession though I think we need to save every cent of public money we can. If suspending the teaching and translation of Irish for four or five years means we save an extra billion then I think we should consider it.

It's obvious as well that many people in this country feel differently about the Irish language than you do or I do. I don't think those people should have what they see as a foreign language forced on them against their will. They should have the option to reclaim the taxes the government is spending on Irish in the same way that atheists in Germany can reclaim the money that their government is spending on the churches.

Exile 1798 wrote:
    It's not simply going to be "suspended" to save some money in the budget.

I'm not saying its status as the first official language of the state should be suspended. I'm saying we should suspend the teaching of Irish and the translation of documents into Irish for a few years in order to save money. We're in a very serious financial predicament in this country and we can't afford to be wasting billions each year on non-essentials. Public spending on foreign aid and the Irish language will just have to be cut if we're serious about dealing with the problem.

Exile 1798 wrote:
    You as an opponent of Irish can't be so lazy as too think like this.

I'm not an opponent of the language. I'm a hardcore ethnic nationalist and I love my country and my country's language. I will be very disappointed if I haven't become a fluent Irish speaker within the next five years.

Exile 1798 wrote:
    The first step to meeting your goal is the removal of Irish as our first official language.

My goal is to see us getting out of the hole we're in. If reducing the amount of money spent on the Irish language helps us in that goal then I would support it. We need to face up to the seriousness of the problem we have to deal with. We're the most indebted country in the world with a debt more than 800% of GDP. We just don't have the money for non-essentials. If spending on the Irish language can be cut then it should be cut in my opinion.

What exactly does being in favour of something mean though? People can be in favour of something without necessarily being supportive of it. If you asked the same people were they in favour of the Welsh language what kind of response do you think they would give?

Well let's examine what they were asked shall we?

On the boards poll, when asked about their attitudes towards the Irish language.. 72% (while given the option to leave the language as it is) opted for the option that stated "Reform the Irish curriculum, boost funding, and encourage Irish. "

Seems pretty favourable in support of the language to me. There is support for the language.. Support for it's revival, support for it's preservation, support for it's funding. You'd have to be completely deluded to deny this - And it seems unfortunately, that some of you are.

dlofnep wrote:
    On the boards poll, when asked about their attitudes towards the Irish language.. 72% (while given the option to leave the language as it is) opted for the option that stated "Reform the Irish curriculum, boost funding, and encourage Irish. "

That would be my view as well if we weren't in the most severe depression that any advanced country has had to go through since the 1930s. We need to put the Irish language on hold for a few years. Don't worry, it will still be there waiting for us when we get back to it.

dlofnep wrote:
    Seems pretty favourable in support of the language to me. There is support for the language.. Support for it's revival, support for it's preservation, support for it's funding. You'd have to be completely deluded to deny this - And it seems unfortunately, that some of you are.

You'll find that the majority support among the Irish population for the Irish language and for a united Ireland are continually being downplayed by contributors to this forum. It's the same attitude taken towards polls showing support for a more restrictive immigration policy.

• Advertisement

I've no qualms with cutting costs, where possible; But I wouldn't be in favour of putting the language on the back bench for a few years. It would have a huge impact on the language, for the worse. It is only starting to gain ground in the past few years and we need to build on that.

Advertisement