Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy savings, the ESB and Irish language

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Cliste wrote: »
    If you stop English being a compulsory language you have a deal (as much as my support is a deal)
    The government interferance has been counter-productive.
    Cliste wrote: »
    You have been supplied with a bloody survey from the ERSI,

The report was not published by the ESRI at all. It was published by an academic, with clear bias towards Irish, using staff contracted from the ESRI to put his questions. The interpretation of the results is his own.

See Table 2.2 - "Preserved in the Gaeltacht and Revived for its Cultural Value as in Music and Arts - 53% "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Abandon the OLA. The language will survive on its own merits and those of the people who actually speak it.

Brilliant plan!

Er.. So tell me Ted, how exactly are people going to learn the language without any formal education process?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The government interferance has been counter-productive.

Can you also not accept someone agreeing with you?
    The report was not published by the ESRI at all. It was published by an academic, with clear bias towards Irish, using staff contracted from the ESRI to put his questions. The interpretation of the results is his own.

Are we coming to the conclusion that the figures at least are ok?
    See Table 2.2 - "Preserved in the Gaeltacht and Revived for its Cultural Value as in Music and Arts - 53% "

How exactly does that 'just entails keeping some archives' :rolleyes:

the only way that the language can be hoped to stay active in the Gaeltacht (or indeed anywhere) is if people can do their business through Irish - a system which would force people to speak English as often as they need to deal with a public body would not be conducive to the preservation of a Language - in the way implied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

dlofnep wrote: »
    Brilliant plan!

Er.. So tell me Ted, how exactly are people going to learn the language without any formal education process?
    By changing the entire tact of the current curriculum in school from a down-your-throat course of Irish to a voluntary one where pupils can choose to learn it.
    Face it, it would seem there is not enough of the current adult generations to be even bothered and I think that the way its schooled has had a major part to play in this.

Advertisement