Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHOULD O'CONNELL STREET BE OPENED TO TRAFFIC?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just what to throw open the debate regarding this proposed project.

1. What with the Corpo in a dilemma regarding the €1m or so for a footbridge at Swan Point on the Line.

2. Seemingly no money for new pedestrian bridge at Brewery Lane to JFK.

3. Seemingly no money for pedestrianisation of Sligo's main street.

What do the Sligo Boarders think?

Is the project realistic or feasible?
    Should one lane of traffic be reintroduced to O'Connell St.
    Many a different street should be considered for pedestrianisation.

Over to you bunch of reprobates:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

No.

IMO Grattan St & Castle St should also be pedestrianised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

No.

IMO Grattan St & Castle St should also be pedestrianised.

I reckon it should - off peak - say 7pm to 5/6/7am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Leave O connell street as is imo. You dont need to pave the road to make it any better for pedestrians. I think parking should be prohibited along grattan, castle and john street aswell as steven street with deiveries allowed at specific times only such as with oconnell street. That should ease the flow of traffic somewhat about town.

I honestly done see the reopening of sligos main street to traffic helping the congestion at all. I know its not near shop street in galway in terms of looking good etc but this will happen in time. Sligo is too nice a town to have it destroyed by reopening oconnell street to traffic.

Besides im often falling out of McGArrigles drunk most weekends and would hate to be hit by a twin cam sham doing his thing on a sat nite.

Va va voom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think it should be reopend Mon to Fri and closed off to traffice on Sat and Sun when more people are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes..

The traffic flow and one-way system in this town is shocking!

And anything to alleviate the traffic at the John Street / Cathedral / Adelaide Street junction. That plus the added bonus of hopefully mowing down some of those charity workers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

No. It was a token nod to the public and should be maintained.
    Maybe Westlife could give a little back, sponser the paving and reopen the street with a plaque unveiling and a concert. ;) *

*Of course I'd love to be there for the gig lads but wont be able to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

1. What with the Corpo in a dilemma regarding the €1m or so for a footbridge at Swan Point on the Line.

This bridge was never going to be built - it was thrown in with the planning application by the developers to appease the planners. I know this for a fact.

As for de-pedestrianisng O'Connell St... not a chance. It's a joke that it hasn't been properly landscaped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

tuppence wrote: »
    Maybe Westlife could give a little back, sponser the paving and reopen the street with a plaque unveiling and a concert. ;) *

A westlife gig on O Connell street eh?

I would be in favour of reopening the road to traffic for that day. Would solve a lot of problems imo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Hi Starbel -- how are you sure O'Connell Street won't be pedestrianised -- sorry I mean re-de-pedestrianised -- :confused:

Sorry lost the run of myself! :pac: You know what I mean!

Got some inside skinny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I don't think the street should be re-opened.It's fine the way it is. It doesn't need to be cobbled or anything.
    And the concert is not a good idea though.I'd rather go away for a weekend like I did the last time they played here.

• Advertisement

Hi Starbel -- how are you sure O'Connell Street won't be pedestrianised -- sorry I mean re-de-pedestrianised -- :confused:

Sorry lost the run of myself! :pac: You know what I mean!

Got some inside skinny?

No inside info on this one, I'm afraid, but I can PM you plenty of dirt on the "bridge that never was"!!

Do you have some sort of a link to the council or work closely with them. Where are you getting this so called "dirt" from.

A few nice plants, benches and shrubs should do the job. It doesn't necessarily need to be cobbled as it's an unnecessary cost.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Do you have some sort of a link to the council or work closely with them. Where are you getting this so called "dirt" from.

A few nice plants, benches and shrubs should do the job. It doesn't necessarily need to be cobbled as it's an unnecessary cost.

Maybe not cobbled, but paved - definitely.

As for the dirt - I really wouldn't like to get into it on a public forum... I'm quite sure it would be liabelous for both me & boards.ie ... PM's I think, are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Lately the difference in traffic levels within the town in unreal. I guess there is less & less coming into town but in some regards it has made it more pleasant. Having said that its that main street within the town and outside of shop hours theres little to no life other then McGarrigles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Why is Market Street traffic merging with Castle Street. Surely if it went the other way, it could be used as a release valve for John Street, as in "why the f did I come this way. F me. What was i thinking? Such a b@ll@cks" etc. Followed by "I'll just scoot up here" on spotting a way out up Market Street. I never understood the logic.

O'Connell Street does need renovation, but being skint and embarrassed by the state of it isn't reason enough to reopen it. It couldn't cost the projected €4.4 million. I know people who price jobs like that for a living and they reckon 25% of that should be doable. Either they're planning wild extravagance of a load of money will be squandered and cyphoned off as usual.

By the way, Sligo has a traffic planner. Wonder how much a year we pay him, and what exactly has he done since the last bout of tinkering 3 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

il gatto wrote: »
    "why the f did I come this way. F me. What was i thinking? Such a b@ll@cks"

Considering how rarely I've been in cars in Sligo town, the number of times this exact thing has happened is uncanny!

il gatto wrote: »
    By the way, Sligo has a traffic planner. Wonder how much a year we pay him, and what exactly has he done since the last bout of tinkering 3 years ago?

Oh I get paid a nice six figure sum thank you very much:D:D

Wonder if business would be affected if the street was re-opened.
    There would be an increase in accidents as well,loads of people would stumble onto the street and a car comes around the corner and bam....

Hi since I made the opening gambit -- here's what I think re this situation -

I think it should be re-opened with a one-way, one lane (right in the centre) and still pave etc O'Connell Street. Speed ramps should also be located before designated crossing points.

If that is met with objections, how about thinking outside the box.

And/or I think as an alternative the best street to pedestrianise is Wine Street -- from Cool Kids to the corner of Irish Permanent.

This will allow traffic from East Ward off Grattan Street down O'Connell Street and over Hyde Bridge to wherever. Obviating traffic congestion at John Street -- which is a total joke, at both juncitions.

Re the merits of picking O'Connell Street -- it hasn't many. No architecturally distinguished buildings and little character of any note with the exception of Mullaneys, Hargadons, and that pub (with nice ceramic front which use to be a Butchers shop) alon with Paddy Dooneys. There could be a one lane route and as the street is much wider here, you can still landscape the area, compared to as you go North.

I don't think point re (people being knocked down is valid) for years vehicles and peds co-existed and I can't remember any body getting knocked down.

The benefit of pedestrianising part of Wine Street is that it links (albeit of a sort) the pedestrianisation of Rockwood Parade, it allows traffic in and out of Wine Street Car Park from both Smith's Row, Adelaide Street and west Wine Street.

Taxi rank cabs (as opposed to reverse Dominos queue) can exit via Quay Street to Union Street or up Quay Street to Lwr Knox Street and then Hyde Bridge.

More importantly, in terms of aesthetics, there are many fine advantages regarding the streetscape - Railway Terminus, Georgian Terrace oppo Gaiety, nice Methodist Church, oppo to view Town Hall (as it was designed) and similarly the Lyons Building, GPO, Hibernian Bank and most particularly Yeats Building and Barton Smiths, along with the Bridge -- give you a wonderful mix of urban enclosure.

There are pubs here like the Stables along with the Clarence near by and will have lots of potential for future entertainment spots. It is now amongst the busiest streets in town for pedestrians because of people shopping at Quayside.

It will also be cheaper to undertake being much smaller area to cover.

I'm sure the genuis' of Town Hall have invested in 'plans' so are 'committed' to the current O'Connell Street plan -- but it appears, it just isn't going to happen.

I was in favour of pedestrianising O'Connell Street when plan came out -- but to be honest, I don't believe it will ever happen (well not within 5 years) and on balance isn't Sligo's best option.

Seemed like a good idea with Johnston's Court was first mooted, with visions of Henry Street in Dublin etc - but both schemes have proved a disappointment.

In any event the large outlets at O'Connell Street have car access from Wine Street.

In view view a proper city park should be developed at Wine Street -- not another 2nd Rate Shopping Mall (the market is already saturated) and with this in mind the pedestrianisation of Wine Street would give Sligo a much better vibe.

As early stated, O'Connell Street with exception of old Hibernian Bank and Chemist at bottom of street are only buildings of any real merit, as matters stand the whole street is an empty cavernous embarrassment.

Currently the whole town is in a mess -- with unsightly bollards, crazy traffic managment and now deserted once bustling streets. This proposal will help focus on Sligo's strenghts and promote its internal infrastructure.

Of course it is a token (all pedestriations schemes are a sop of sorts) and it may appear to be a Sligo solution to a Sligo problem -- but Sligo City is small, its catchment area retail wise faces strong competition with Enniskillen, Galway and even lowly Carrick-on-Shannon.

Therefore, if we get small projects right, develop a strong unique character, it will promote business and improve the quality of life for all its citizens.

Quite simple really;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

lowly Carrick-on-Shannon
    Not so lowly when compared to our own Sligo though...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

i think the one thing that the pedestrianisation of o'connell st has shown is that with the lack of options available to vehicular traffic at the moment...we can ill afford to give over any of the thoroughfare's to pedestrians only, until those options are increased.:(

• Advertisement

Quite simple really;)

It only took an essay to get there. ;)

Em, Starbel -- the last comment was called irony;)

Rather than an essay -- it was a concise appraisal of a proposal -- otherwise how else can I convey my thoughts through this medium?

I don't do crystal ball stuff or telepathy:rolleyes:

PS

Ha Ha -- I knew somebody from the floodplains of Coraig Droma Ruisc would respond :cool: Have to say though that only thing Carrick has over Sligo re retail seemingly is Heatons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

In view view a proper city park should be developed at Wine Street -- not another 2nd Rate Shopping Mall (the market is already saturated) and with this in mind the pedestrianisation of Wine Street would give Sligo a much better vibe.

Not a bad suggestion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Not exactly O'Connell Street, but, what is the situation at the Ulster Bank junction?

It's a mess. Huge red and white bollards plonked in the middle of the road. Also, someone appears to have dropped a few huge plants there as well.

There is usually one line of parked cars on the left (if your looking towards the GPO), one line in the middle looking nervous, and the right hand lane doing kamikaze right hand turns. Throw in a few alarmed looking pedestrians trying to cross and it's like a scene from the 1800's with horses and carts.

Daft.

Em, Starbel -- the last comment was called irony;)

Rather than an essay -- it was a concise appraisal of a proposal --.

I didn't read the whole thing - my attention span is very short. ;)

Cheers Jimmy - good to see we can agreed on at least one thoroughfare in Sligeach!:D

Starbel -- take your time, I know you'll get there -- little words first -- L is for Larry from Letterland:D

Starbel -- take your time, I know you'll get there -- little words first -- L is for Larry from Letterland:D

Has anyone EVER laughed at anything you've ever said? Besides yourself, that is.

Come back in a month & let us know. ;)

Has anyone EVER laughed at anything you've ever said? Besides yourself, that is.

Come back in a month & let us know. ;)

That L is now for Low,that was low but good.

What would be the point in opening O'Connell Street at night time,there is no traffic then so it wouldn't really benefit anyone and if it was open during the day then it's just going to cause confusion and be a waste of the last (how many) years and the council would be admitting they have failed.

Leave it closed off to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

tuppence wrote: »

*Of course I'd love to be there for the gig lads but wont be able to make it.

And in the other thread it was discrimmination against people that drive??? you puzzle me now. The town should be open for both people that can and cant drive. your words on an idea to close one street!!!!

Castle street should be closed IMO aswell because the pavements are too small and shopping there turns into a push through, specially when ther are people with prams (like me) or umbrella's. You can't park there anyway so you end up normaly to park your car in one of the car parks anyway and walk up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

And in the other thread it was discrimmination against people that drive??? you puzzle me now. The town should be open for both people that can and cant drive. your words on an idea to close one street!!!!

Castle street should be closed IMO aswell because the pavements are too small and shopping there turns into a push through, specially when ther are people with prams (like me) or umbrella's. You can't park there anyway so you end up normaly to park your car in one of the car parks anyway and walk up.

We have a pram pusher in our midst:eek: I hope you don't walk around town with an umbrella as well?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement