Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puggles

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hello!
    I'm just wondering does anyone have any information on Puggles or know where I could get one. I've been looking for a dog for a while now and when I finish college and move back home I'm definately getting one.

I saw a Puggle in a movie I watched recently and instantly fell in love with it... cute face without the weird eyes that purebred pugs have and a longer nose so they don't have the breathing difficulties, and is a great size.

Any breeders in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There are no decent breeders of these dogs, they are a so called Designer breed, bred for money, coz they look cute.
    They are not a recognised breed, just have a made up name to sound good and attract people to buy them.

Please dont encourage people breeding these cross breeds by buying one, go to your local shelter if you want a cross breed where you wont have to pay huge money for a cross breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

what andreac said is true, these are just x breeds and people shouldnt be paying a penny for them. go to the pound if you want a x breed, it will coast you alot less and you will be saving a dogs life.

I really think the people who run the pound instead of saying dogs are x breeds should make up silly fancy names and then people would flock to adopt the dogs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

Yeah I agree with you guys, Its ridiculous when people cross breeds and then try to charge big money for them, the labradoodle is another one!

I have seen the 'puggle' and they are gorgeous, but I wouldnt go looking to buy one, and the guys have said above there are plenty of shelters around with dogs just as gorgeous who need homes. I'm sure if you went you would find the dog for you!

Ash animal rescue in Wicklow are great, might be worth a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Christ you lot will you go easy.

The op asked for advice on where to get a "puggle"

Every time someone comes on here looking for a pedigree dog theres the usual up cry of "please get a dog off your local shelter" etc etc.

Now while in an ideal world thats what we all should be doing in reality there are people out there who want a pure breed.

If they come on here asking advice on a pure breed then thats what Im expecting them to get--not the usual rescue dog stuff.

These type of responses are stopping people looking for advice here.

Richie.

But at the same time people need to be aware they are paying way over the top for something that the shelters are full of.

Some people arent aware of what breeders are doing by charging for these dogs, if people want to buy puggles they will, but I would at least like to make them aware that there are beautiful cross breeds in the shelter.

Check out www.dogsindistress.org for some beautiful crosses!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kazza90210 wrote: »
    But at the same time people need to be aware they are paying way over the top for something that the shelters are full of.

Some people arent aware of what breeders are doing by charging for these dogs, if people want to buy puggles they will, but I would at least like to make them aware that there are beautiful cross breeds in the shelter.

Check out www.dogsindistress.org for some beautiful crosses!!!

Kazza--while I agree 100% with your good intentions Im just getting sick of the whole "get from a pound" brigade.

If a user post here that they want a "labrador" for instance I can almost guarantee that the next post will be from someone telling them to get a rescue dog.But that user might have their mind set on a labrador.

The point Im trying to make is that could we not encourage these people more towards getting a rescue but if that user wants a pedigree then we need to help that user out in getting their pedigree instead of jumping down their throats for wanting a pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Since when is a 'puggle' a pure breed?

Surely there isn't a problem warning someone against forking out ridiculous money for cross breed?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Christ you lot will you go easy.

The op asked for advice on where to get a "puggle"

Every time someone comes on here looking for a pedigree dog theres the usual up cry of "please get a dog off your local shelter" etc etc.

Now while in an ideal world thats what we all should be doing in reality there are people out there who want a pure breed.

If they come on here asking advice on a pure breed then thats what Im expecting them to get--not the usual rescue dog stuff.

These type of responses are stopping people looking for advice here.

Richie.

Sorry Richie, but a puggle is not a Pedigree, far from it, thats what our problem is.
    I have no problem with pedigree dogs, i own and show one.

The problem is with these so called breeders, who cross 2 dogs and give it a fancy name like a puggle or so on, when there is no such thing. Its a made up name by crossing 2 breeds of dogs (therefore not a pedigree) then charging big money for these pups and ripping people off, thats what the problem is.
    The reason i say go to a shelter, because there are lots of cross breeds there, for free, which this op will be getting if she gets a so called "puggle", so why pay huge amounts of money for a cross breed??

So the problem is not with pedigree dogs at all, its with these so called designer dogs.

I know a puggle isnt a pedigree--you lot are being picky but you know what I mean--the thread doesnt have to be about a "puggle" ,it may as well be about a Japanese Akita.

And anyway the labradoodle and puggle lovers are trying to get them recognised as a "new breed"

Andrea--you mention that crossing "2 breeds of dogs is not a pedigree"
    Well how did we come to have so many "breeds" these days???It was exactly by doing what these labrdoodle/puggle breeders are doing.

I have no problems with pedigree dogs like the above poster I own one and I didnt get him for a shelter.

Its people being ripped off by these so called breeders, these people can continue to breed from a bitch again and again as they dont have to register the pups, while pedigrees have to be registered and one bitch can only have a certain amount of litters registered. this stops the over breeding of the bitch.... well its suppose to, another thing that gets me is people buying pedigrees and not getting papers, it happens far to often.

Not trying to put poeple off getting whatever dog they want just want to make them aware of whats out there.

• Advertisement

Im all for pedigree dogs, personally i would go for a pedigree than a cross breed, but thats just me.
    If someone asked for a rottweiler i could point them in the right direction, along with a few other breeds.

Yes Richie i understand what you mean, but whats happening now is that people are purposely crossing 2 diff breeds and giving them fancy names to try and make money out if it, thats all. I very much doubt if a puggle will ever be a recognised breed.

The labradoodle is different, i think these are purposely crossed to help people that have guide dogs and so on, that have pet allergies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm sorry but I don't think people are being picky, the OP is looking for a crossbreed dog, not a pedigree. I have seen plenty of threads on here with people looking for pedigree dogs and getting good advice from other users, on contacting the breed club, etc, etc. I don't doubt that if the OP came on here looking for a Pug, they would get the details on where to get one, not get told to go to the pound, unless someone had seen a pug on one of the rescue sites.

The OP asks if anyone has any information, or knows where they can get one - well rescues are full of crossbreeds, so surely that is an acceptable answer to the question?

ISDW wrote: »
    The OP asks if anyone has any information, or knows where they can get one - well rescues are full of crossbreeds, so surely that is an acceptable answer to the question?

Its an acceptable answer to the question if the rescues are full of "puggles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 buttercup21

Hi there

I've seen them advertised on donedeal. Take a squiz & best of luck finding one! They are so cute.

I totally understand the "go to the shelter & get a rescue dog" I happen to have a rescue & a purebreed (unregistered) but at the end of the day you have to want the dog and love it for the rest of its life, x breed, designer dog, rescue or purebreed.

Best of luck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The main issue here is that these designer cross breeds are being bred by backyard breeders who have no idea about health testing parents for particular ailments or proper pairing of breeding animals to ensure healthy genetic bloodlines.

So by saying it is ok for someone to buy a "Puggle" "Labradoodle" or any other cross breed being marketed as a designer breed you are in effect condoning and contributing to back yard breeders.

Cross breeds in pounds are generally a result of people just not neuturing their dogs and allowing them to wander - bad of course, but in this day and age it happens, and all we can do is try to limit it, educate and encourage people to rescue these animals. Designer breeds are created on purpose for the sole reason of making money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Woah... I really didn't mean to cause such a debate about cross breeds and getting rescue dogs instead of buying from a breeder, I just wanted to know where I might get a puggle. I don't want just ANY cross breed, so no, i'm not going to go to a pound and take a dog just because it is, i want a beagle crossed with a pug... sorry for sounding harsh but a lot of people are the same as me.

Firstly, and I don't mean to come across as being a moaning biddy, but I agree with Hellrazer, I'm a longtime lurker in here and lots AND lots of replies to genuine 'where can I get this dog' questions are full of 'oh forget about that, go to your local shelter and take one from there'.

Also, another poster said that the 'puggle' would probably never become a recognised breed but that somehow the Labradoodle is different... how does a labradoodle help blind people better than a labrador that is bred for the purpose?! Labradoodles were thought of as 'designer' when they first came about too don't forget.

Back to the point in hand, where to get a puggle. I've looked on donedeal but there's only one ad that's selling a pup... the other 4 are 'wanted' ads.
    P.S It's not just 'designer crosses' that are bred soley for money, as far as I can see and what I know... most people who get their pedigree bitch pregnant or 'sell' their dog for stud are doing so for profit alone.

aoife2k wrote: »
    P.S It's not just 'designer crosses' that are bred soley for money, as far as I can see and what I know... most people who get their pedigree bitch pregnant or 'sell' their dog for stud are doing so for profit alone.

Yeah, backyard breeders. :rolleyes:

Any good breeder is breeding their dogs to try and continue a good, healthy bloodline. Most also show their dogs.
    Of course they sell them, afterall it costs money, but the difference is that they don't do it for profit they do it for the love of the breed and the want to see that breed be healthy and long lasting.

If you find a breeder of puggles who does extensive health checks and has certificates to prove such for the father (The Pug) and the mother (The Beagle) then I would be less harsh but the plain fact is that I doubt many, if any in this country do. Please feel free correct me after you have talked to some puggle breeders.
    Look, almost anyone who breeds Puggles is doing it because it is the new "it" dog, and they see a chance to make money. They probably have a beagle and thought, "Hey, I can find someone with a pug and make a few bob". They will generally not have a clue what they are doing and will take few, if any precautions to ensure genetic diversity and health. The result: A breed of dog which will have health problems which will just get worse because the majority of breeders are amateurs looking to make a quick buck with no interest/knowledge of proper breeding.

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.
    I just think it was completely unfair to slate into me for asking where I could get one of these dogs. Yeah, we get the point that rescue shelters are full of dogs looking for new homes!

I posted here because I thought that with all the knowledgable people that post here I might just find someone who has a puggle/knows where a person could get one. I'm not having any luck so I don't think that this 'designer' breed is becoming the 'it' dog just yet...

Also, another poster said that the 'puggle' would probably never become a recognised breed but that somehow the Labradoodle is different... how does a labradoodle help blind people better than a labrador that is bred for the purpose?! Labradoodles were thought of as 'designer' when they first came about too don't forget.

QUOTE]

I never said the labradoodle was better at helping than i labrador, i said they were crossed to help owners of guide dogs to help with their allergies, as the poodle is a non shed breed and the cross would help the dog be a non shedder, hence helping an owner than has an allergy.

Any decent breeder wont make money from breeding their dog if its done right. They barely break even, once all the correct food, care, vaccinations, registering and so on. I know a lot of breeders who have lost money, but they dont do it for money, they do it for the good of the breed to try and promot healthy dogs and improve the standard.

If you were to ask a lot of the breeders on the likes of donedeal etc have the health tested their dogs for the relevent health tests for that specific breed, i can almost guarantee they havent, so you cannot tell me that they are breeding for the good of the breed.

I'm not having any luck so I don't think that this 'designer' breed is becoming the 'it' dog just yet...

Well, that is good to hear.

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    Designer breeds are created on purpose for the sole reason of making money.

And pure breeds arent?

On the topic of recommending rescue dogs to peple theres a few things on my mind.

Ive been reading over a couple of threads of people looking for purebreeds and in nearly every one of those threads someone suggests a rehome.

Let me get this out of the way first---Im all for the rehoming of dogs above buying a new puppy.

However and Im coming from personal experience here.

Maybe I dont want an adult dog.Maybe I want a puppy that I know how big its going to grow.what its going to look like,whether its going to be aggressive if it has an aggressive breed in it.

Growing up my father always got rescue dogs but on more than one occasion he rehomed a dog that wasnt suitable for our house.He ended up once with a Great dane/labrador cross that the shelter told him was a lab/terrier cross which looked small as a puppy.This dog was huge and nuts.It jumped through a glass door to get at a cat and ended up being pts.
    Just one example I can think of right now but Im sure my dad can tell me a few more.

The point Im trying to make in this post is that although rehoming is the best option there are some out there that want specific types of dogs,whether thats a purebreed,puggle,labradoodle whatever and we as dog lovers/owners should help that person out with their choice and not be ramming the whole rescue thing down their throat.

Theres enough knowledge here between the lot of us that we should be able to help this person get the dog they want from a reputable breeder in a healthy state.

Can I bring this whole debate to an end..... so I guess no-one has any idea where to get one?

Thanks for your help...

Hellrazer, you really arent getting the point, anyone who breeds puggles are only doing it for money, and they wont have done health checks and so on, decent breeders dont intentionally cross 2 breeds like that unless its for financial gain.

You ask are pure breeds not bred for money?? No, if its a decent breeder they wont be. They charge money to cover the costs of putting their bitch in pup, there are huge costs involved if its done right, so they rarely make a profit, most of the time they just about break even.

andreac wrote: »
    Hellrazer, you really arent getting the point, anyone who breeds puggles are only doing it for money, and they wont have done health checks and so on, decent breeders dont intentionally cross 2 breeds like that unless its for financial gain.

You ask are pure breeds not bred for money?? No, if its a decent breeder they wont be. They charge money to cover the costs of putting their bitch in pup, there are huge costs involved if its done right, so they rarely make a profit, most of the time they just about break even.

Andrea,
    I get the point fully.But I dont think you get my point.Most of the so called "breeds" we have now were the result of cross breeding one or more "breeds"

If someone(maybe a completely reputable breeder of other breeds) has decided that a "puggle" would make a good addition to the list of "breeds" and does it in a proper manner then in my opinion thats fine.

Wheres your proof that theyre only in it for the money.Maybe they are reputable breeders(of other breeds).Maybe they do get health checks done.

We could go into the whole debate about so called reputable breeders whose stock is so inbred as to cause genetic defects in the puppies but thats another thread in itself.

As for whether theyre in it to make money.Heres an example.I bought one of my pure breds 8 years ago for 180 pounds(old money)
    When he passed away I went back to the same breeder who wanted over 1000 euros for a similar breed.How can you tell me thats not in it for the money??Theres no way costs have gone up that much in 9 years.
    All you have to do is ring any breeder and theyre prices for pups are ridiculous.It is a money making racket in my opinion.

Andrea,
    I get the point fully.But I dont think you get my point.Most of the so called "breeds" we have now were the result of cross breeding one or more "breeds"
    If someone(maybe a completely reputable breeder of other breeds) has decided that a "puggle" would make a good addition to the list of "breeds" and does it in a proper manner then in my opinion thats fine.

Wheres your proof that theyre only in it for the money.Maybe they are reputable breeders(of other breeds).Maybe they do get health checks done.

We could go into the whole debate about so called reputable breeders whose stock is so inbred as to cause genetic defects in the puppies but thats another thread in itself.

As for whether theyre in it to make money.Heres an example.I bought one of my pure breds 8 years ago for 180 pounds(old money)
    When he passed away I went back to the same breeder who wanted over 1000 euros for a similar breed.How can you tell me thats not in it for the money??Theres no way costs have gone up that much in 9 years.
    All you have to do is ring any breeder and theyre prices for pups are ridiculous.It is a money making racket in my opinion.

I never disputed that point with you.

Do you actually know the costs of raising a pedigree litter of pups?? Between all the health checks, vet visits, extra food for the mother, food for the pups, registering them, microchipping them, vaccinations, the list is endless, so yes it costs a hell of a lot of money to DO IT RIGHT.

So that is why a good breeder will charge that little bit extra, to cover their costs.

andreac wrote: »
    I never disputed that point with you.

Do you actually know the costs of raising a pedigree litter of pups?? Between all the health checks, vet visits, extra food for the mother, food for the pups, registering them, microchipping them, vaccinations, the list is endless, so yes it costs a hell of a lot of money to DO IT RIGHT.

So that is why a good breeder will charge that little bit extra, to cover their costs.

I wouldnt have a complete breakdown of costs but in all fairness say each pup costs 600 euros and the litter is 10.
    Thats 6k.Id say the majority of that is profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Maybe I dont want an adult dog.Maybe I want a puppy that I know how big its going to grow.what its going to look like,whether its going to be aggressive if it has an aggressive breed in it.

But how on earth can you know how big a dog is going to get if its a crossbreed? How can you know what its going to look like from a first generation cross? You've actually argued against your own argument there.

If you can find a reputable breeder of a puggle, please let us know, but I really don't think anybody that has the good of either of those breeds in mind, and so is doing all the relevant health checks on them is then going crossbreed them.

I have never bred dogs, however, I have now had some puppies born here in the rescue that I run. Yes, there would be money to be made if you didn't do it right, but if you own both the parents, and have therefore spent the €600 on each of them, then had the health checks done on both of them, then had the best vet care for the dam and the pups when they're born. Had the pups vaccinated, microchipped, registered etc, then I really don't see how there is much of a profit to be made.

ISDW wrote: »
    But how on earth can you know how big a dog is going to get if its a crossbreed? How can you know what its going to look like from a first generation cross? You've actually argued against your own argument there.

Em-No I havent.My
    Maybe I dont want an adult dog.Maybe I want a puppy that I know how big its going to grow.what its going to look like,whether its going to be aggressive if it has an aggressive breed in it
    was in relation to people not wanting rescue dogs and wanting a pure breed because they know exactly these things from the breed standard.

On the topic of recommending rescue dogs to peple theres a few things on my mind.

Ive been reading over a couple of threads of people looking for purebreeds and in nearly every one of those threads someone suggests a rehome.

Let me get this out of the way first---Im all for the rehoming of dogs above buying a new puppy.

However and Im coming from personal experience here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

After 20 odd posts of bickering, i'll put up a helpful post.

http://www.buyandsell.ie/search/quick_search?search_term=puggle&search[category][id]=All+Categories&x=0&y=0

The girl wants a Puggle so leave her be and let her get one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kimgrennan

No advertising.

Advertisement