Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over-protective dog

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

we hav a over-protective dog and we cant keep him
    he barks to much when strangers visit and then when he has a chance he nips them he recentaly attacked the man who dopes of the skips and the only thing protecing him was the inche thick trouseres he was wearing he is lovely to his owners and a very nice dog but he has security dog training and it cant be knocked out of him he is NOT a family dog we have to get rid of him does anyone know where i can find a good home for him
    *he must be the only pet(no other cat,dogs)
    *NO young children(he can be unpridictable,teens are ok)
    *needs a long walk only about every 3rd day at the least and a weekly run is a feild or a long game of ball
    *needs a bit more training
    *he was found under weight but is iin the round to recovery
    *not sure wat bread suppositly has german shepherd(ears),akita(tail & neek),lurcher(style of running)

he is such a ovely dog and becomes attached to an owner who treats him well .needs a good home and lots of TLC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Rush
    It is a pity you are giving up on him so easily, I remember you only got Patch like a month ago or so from the shelter. He obviously loves his new owners and going back to the pound/shelter will devastate him. Dogs need to be trained and believe me it can be done. I rescued a dog who was aggressive to strangers at first but we worked hard and we have it under control now. If you could invest in obedience training classes this would do him lots of good and you would learn how to control him. If you cant, please dont give up yet there is plenty of info on the Internet re training dogs, give it a try.... Obviously you cant have him running around biting people, if he is outside and unsupervised for shorter period of times maybe buy him a soft muzzle so he wont have a chance to attack. When with you and the stranger arrives, be firm with him, hold him tight and repeat NO evry time he tries to have a go at the person. When he stops feed him a treat- this is a submission thing if the dog takes food in the presence of another person and also signals that good behaviour is rewarded.
    I really hope you wont drop him without trying, but if this is what you will have to do I hope he will find a good home with somebody who will be able to train him properly! He is a lovely looking dog and am sure he is trainable to be obedient. The thing is - all dogs want to be good and please people, some of them just need training and patience. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is this the dog you got from Inistioge? If so then I'm sure Brenda would insist you return him to her if you're not going to try work through his issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Rush@)=(~

how do u know where i got him?

His picture was up on their website along with the story of him being dumped in the mountains and being very underweight as you repeated here when you got him.

ah i forgot bout that and i'm not givin up on him but im 13 and my mother dosent want the risk of him being round any more i want 2 keep him and train him but mum wont let me and now i'm crying my self to sleep every night case i know that soon he'll be gone and i'll never see him again

• Advertisement

Well then tell your mother to return him to the shelter she got him from, they will look after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Rush@)=(~ wrote: »
    *needs a long walk only about every 3rd day at the least and a weekly run is a feild or a long game of ball

Only every 3rd day???! Dogs who aren't exercised enough become frustrated, and that contributes to their aggression, if they have aggression.
    From your post, it seems to me that you know exactly what kind of home and effort is needed for this dog, so it's not as though you're clueless....so is it that you just aren't bothered giving him what you know he needs?

If you adopt a dog from a shelter, you must return him to them if it doesn't work out. Every shelter that I know of stipulates this in their adoption agreement forms- go have another read of yours. Brenda will ensure he goes to a suitable home where his new owners will be willing to put the work in to rehabilitate him. If you "get rid of him" he will only bounce from one home or shelter to another til the traumatic effects of that make him completely unrehomeable.

I've just seen that you're 13....ignore most of what I said above.
    Tell your mom to bring him back to Inistioge if she doesn't want to work on helping him.

trust me im trying but my mother is about as stuborn as patch is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Stubborn in that she won't return him to the rescue you got him from?

If so, that doesn't make sense to me. The rescue will take him back in a heartbeat so they can find him a home, and it would be a lot easier to do this then just give him to the pound.

Tell your mom to read the responses here, and also tell her it would have been a stipulation of the adoption contract that he be returned to the original rescue organisation if there are unresolvable issues. And am I right in saying that this would be a legally binding contract?

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the rescue in question is contacted by someone here to ensure that he is returned to them if he is to be given up.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit confused Rush....you said that your mother doesn't want him around anymore, so what is she being stubborn about?
    Does she know that you are trying to rehome him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I'm a bit confused Rush....you said that your mother doesn't want him around anymore, so what is she being stubborn about?
    Does she know that you are trying to rehome him?

I reckon Rush is trying to say that s/he is trying to convince his/her mother to keep the dog and train it.......

Ah right, cheers Stevie:)
    Rush, I think giving the dog back to Inistioge is the best thing for the dog. You obviously love him, but you should accept that your home is not the right home for him, he needs to be with someone with experience of Akitas and GSDs, or someone with the training and ability to rehabilitate him. Inistioge will find that home for him.
    The month you had him will help Brenda to place him again, so it wasn't in vain. You've learned a lot about the dog, and you can pass that knowledge back to Brenda, it will help and she will have you to thank for it.

You know that saying... if you love something, let it go? It's the best thing for him Rush, let him go.

thanks 4 ur advice my mother is trying to find him someone who wants a dog like him but if we cant find 1 soon we are going to bring him back to brenda and explain.and i do want to keep him but only because i dont think my mum gave me enough time to TRY to retrain him.but i think she just got scared when she saw the bitten skip man and she is scared patch will turn on me,I do love him and i do want to keep him but it's not fair that every time my uncle drops by that we have to lock patch in another room or his dog crate.
    thank you.

p.s. why are u still calling me Rush my real name is on my profile
    my name is Ciara:)

I didn't look at your profile Ciara...
    I don't think you and your mom understand that you have to give him back to Brenda if you're not keeping him, you don't have a choice in the matter. You're not allowed to give him to someone else....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Rush,

Contact the rescue as they will be able to give you advice on what to do (be it training or rehousing). This happens all the time - I contacted the rescue we got our dog from to get some advise as we were having teething problems. They gave me some good advise & offered to rehouse her is necessary - but luckily we worked through it.

I would advise you to rethink your profile as it is NOT advisable for anyone, but especially a 13yr old girl to have some much info on who you are and where you live. Maybe ask you mum what you should have there.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Rush, I know everyone else has said it, but you really don't have any choice, you cannot rehome him yourself. Your mother (as you're under 18) signed a legally binding contract that stated she would return the dog to the rescue if she needed him to be rehomed.

look, the situation has changed, i have 2 weeks to make patch's guarding habits improve significantly if i want to keep him(witch i do)

i have told my mum that she can't rehome him herself(and she just remebered that when i told her-she has the memory span of a goldfish)

and ill write watever the HELL i want on my profile

thanks 4 ur help
    now
    leave me
    ALONE!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Spoiled brat

duplicate

• Advertisement

Yes, you are entitled to have whatever you want to have on your profile - stupid maybe, but you are entitled. Off you go....

As it happens, my situation was very similar yours & is now sorted so I could offer plenty of tips on what worked for us, but do you know what.....

....I want to be alone!!

Rush, there is no need for that behaviour, you came on looking for advice and you got lots of it, being rude will do you no favours.
    Look, you're 13 yrs old, you can't possibly have the knowledge needed to handle this dog. Your mother knows that, and to be honest- she should know better than to let you even try.
    Do a responsible and grown-up thing and tell your mom that Patch needs to go back to Inistioge now, before he bites again and before your lack of knowledge puts you in danger.

Advertisement