Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung texting headaches

• 23-04-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Just bought the new Tocco UltraTouch. Nice phone. Sexy display. Decent enough features. I had expected a certain amount of time would be required to get used to the different system on the phone as I've always had Nokia phones.

The biggest disappointment has been the texting on the phone. There are some frustrating things such as navigating the text. There is no navigation buttons so you have to touch the screen to get into a word you want to change .... this can take three, four or five touches to get right. Ridiculous and smash-the-phone frustrating. Another aspect is the fact that samsung put their space bar on the keyboard at the bottom right unlike nokia who place it centre bottom ... i'll get used to that after a bit and those mistakes will disappear. The phone does have the useful feature of understanding that when you type "youve" you mean "you've" and it displays it as such ... nice touch.

HOWEVER... I always text in predictive mode and when I want to type "I'm" or "I'd" (pretty bloody basic and frequently used) the fewest number of touches I have been able to use is 10 (counting the space after the word). TEN!! It can be up to 13. I'm hopiing that I'm just stupid and someone can tell me how to type "I'm" while in predictive mode with three or four key strokes.

JAYSUS!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

i got the phone today too, great little sexy phone! amazing camera and video! if you want to change the text in T9 just 0 and it will change it, thats when you are using the keypad, haven't really had much of a chamce to actually play with all the features, but so far the screen is sensitive enough, sometimes it might take 2 or 3 taps on it for it to recognise that you touched it when you want to confirm a pin.

But overall a amazing phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Myksyk wrote: »
    HOWEVER... I text always in predictive mode and when I want to type "I'm" or "I'd" (pretty bloody basic and frequently used) the fewest number of touches I have been able to use is 10 (counting the space after the word). TEN!! It can be up to 13. I'm hopiing that I'm just stupid and someone can tell me how to type "I'm" while in predictive mode with three or four key strokes.

JAYSUS!!!!!

I'm = 416
    I'd = 413

Maybe, you need to enter them into the dictionary though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

allen175 wrote: »
    if you want to change the text in T9 just 0 and it will change it,

It does change it but not to 'I'm' or 'I'd'.

If I'm in T9 and I type 413 or 416 I get i.n ... pressing 0 changes this, in sequence, to: i.nz i.no i.org i.na i.net i.ne i.mq w/o .in i.nl etc etc etc etc etc

The silly thing is you can't enter 'I'm' as new word or 'I'd' because it won't let you access the apostrophe (') character in the add word page ... stupid.

Just to drive me mad altogether I now see that when creating an MMS messages the phone does produce 'I'm' or 'I'd' when you simply type 416 or 413. What is that about? I like the phone otherwise but simple things like this annoy me.

Update ... rang Samsung who after testing the phone said I was right and they were mystified!! They said it shouldn't be the case that it works in MMS and not SMS and would forward it for ... well for whatever they do. I won't hold my breath but in the meantime Tocco Ultra owners will have to hit 10-13 screen buttons to type 'I'm or 'I'd' or just type Im and Id. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I get a different, and pointless, sequence pressing '413' & '0'

I.e, I.Fr, I.Fi, I.do, I.doc, I.dot, I.dk, I.de,.id and then the first usable one '.ie'

WTF?

ok, sorry i didn't get what you were saying before, i get what you are talking about now and wow its annoying!!

Also you cannot access anything on the phone when you have it connected to the computer! such as sending a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Myksyk wrote: »
    It does change it but not to 'I'm' or 'I'd'.

If I'm in T9 and I type 413 or 416 I get i.n ... pressing 0 changes this, in sequence, to: i.nz i.no i.org i.na i.net i.ne i.mq w/o .in i.nl etc etc etc etc etc

The silly thing is you can't enter 'I'm' as new word or 'I'd' because it won't let you access the apostrophe (') character in the add word page ... stupid.

Keep typing the word you want about 10 times in a row without any mistakes, the next time you type the word it should be the first one to come up. This works on nokia phones, not sure about samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its like they don't test texting. How could they miss this kinda stuff?

BostonB wrote: »
    Its like they don't test texting. How could they miss this kinda stuff?

TXT SPK? Who uses apostrophes these days? :rolleyes:

I do.

• Advertisement

Messaging > 12.Settings > 1.SMS > 1. Sending options > Character Support

Set to 'Automatic' or 'Unicode' and it will switch to 'I've' on a single press of the 0 key.

Aha, very nice Justin Automatic does the trick!! thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've just been scouring the net looking for a solution to this apostrophe query and nothing useful came up. Then I decide to add boards.ie to the search et voila! The solution easily at hand. Fair play to ye guys, that 'automatic' option is gonna save me a few months of torture!!

Advertisement