Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miles vs kilometers

• 23-04-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Was on a thread over on After-hours about imperial vs metric. Thought I'd bring it over here. (Riveting conversation over on A-H by the way!)

I always have trouble with knowing distances I've run or bikes in miles, but could give a good guess with kilometers. And pace I'd always think of mins/km rather than mins/mile. In fact the mins/mile pace are fairly meaningless to me. I mean I know 6 mins/mile is pretty quick, but the difference between 7:30 and 8:00 I'm not sure.
    Anybody else like this? Or can you all switch pretty easily?
    And seeing as the first marathon was in Greece, should we all be speaking kms anyway?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Miles to KM is easy. Its when the yanks start using feet and inches in relation to field events. Not that is confusing and drives me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Im a Miles man and always will be.Kilometres are for people gone soft:D
    I ran 16k today sounds better than i ran 10miles to their friends haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Min/miles all the way for me, 4,5,6 etc pace are major benchmarks in my book... not that i'll ever run a 4 min mile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've been converting myself over to using KMs. For anything involving maps its much much better. I wish marathons would start marking their courses in Ks. They're one of the last of the imperial hold-outs

that would be alot of marking out for the organisers of a marathon Enduro:pac:
    suppose im old school....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

shels4ever wrote: »
    Min/miles all the way for me, 4,5,6 etc pace are major benchmarks in my book... not that i'll ever run a 4 min mile...

I agree. Although I have no problem in converting distances - good at sums.

kilometre marathons are a head wrecker for me. I like to run down the last 6 miles of a marathon, not death march the last 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

KM's is my preference. The mental distraction of doing conversions on long runs is good, until you realise you've slowed down while calculating and now need to speed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Was at a 10K race recently where I had convinced my brother to run his first ever race. He assumed (logically I suppose, it being a 10K race) that the markers would be mean kilometers. The markers indicated miles though but it being his first race, and only ever having run on a treadmill, he assumed he was way off pace when it took him 8 min to hit the first marker rather than the 6min he had predicted. Naturally he upped the pace but still couldn't hit the second marker at the time he thought he should be capable of from treadmill running. He had to start walking at the 3rd marker, totally disillusioned with his pace!

I jogged back to the 6 mile marker to meet him and he was a broken man, thinking he still had 4km to run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I ran a marathon a few years ago that was marked in Ks, and found it easier - the markers appeared in much shorted intervals, and somehow that was helpful.

Btw, Boston is marked in both miles and Ks all the way through. The markers (in both units) are even part of the permanent road markings, but they do have big signs on the road side as well.

that would be alot of marking out for the organisers of a marathon Enduro:pac:
    suppose im old school....

26 vs 42. A similar effort to mark I would have thought. Same order of magnitude. Same accuracy required. But yeah, I do actually think that at this stage its only tradition. After all, every track event (bar the mile?) is metric. Every olympic event is metric (excepting the marathon, which essentially is neither).

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    26 vs 42. A similar effort to mark I would have thought. Same order of magnitude. Same accuracy required. But yeah, I do actually think that at this stage its only tradition. After all, every track event (bar the mile?) is metric. Every olympic event is metric (excepting the marathon, which essentially is neither).

but a track is 400m , maybe they should make them 500m now ;) ,

but a track is 400m , maybe they should make them 500m now ;) ,

Yes, but I assume you know what a track is 400m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Weirdly enough, I tend to use miles for pacing while training, and kilometers for pacing while racing. For example, I know my last training run was at 9.30/mile pace, but for the Great Ireland Run I practically had 5.45/km burnt onto my brain...

I think it tends to depend on the course though, I can switch fairly handily, so if a course is marked in kilometers it tends to be easier to work in km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'm a definite metric enthusiast. I just can't cope with a system that needs me to be able to multiply and divide by numbers like 12, 14 and 16 (not to mention 1760 yards in a mile).

The other thing is that in a race, you get pacing information much more regularly. If you're running a 3:30 marathon and you overdo the first mile, it's 8 minutes until you find out as opposed to 5 minutes if it's marked in kms. I know there are more of them, but I always feel like I'm making better progress when I'm getting through kms rather than miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've been converting myself over to using KMs. For anything involving maps its much much better. I wish marathons would start marking their courses in Ks. They're one of the last of the imperial hold-outs

Barcelona had km markers and if im not mistaken they were very regular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

European marathons tend to be marked in Kms, UK, USA and Ireland in miles. While the UK and US still use miles for day to day living, Ireland uses kms so I don't see why our marathons haven't caught up.

I have a slight preference for km's, for the ease of sub-division without complicated maths but as most people I talk to, talk in miles (or worse minutes per mile, why not describe pace as mph?*) I can converse pretty easily in both.

*that's a whole other can or worms, I'm waiting for them to metricify time, 100 sec in a minute, 100 minutes in an hour and I might just be able to fit my life into the time allotted :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Just to confuse things even further....

In the US alot of the indoor tracks are measured in relation to a mile... 1609 meters. When Couglan was Chairman of the boards, most of the tracks he ran on were 10 laps to the mile. Even the newer ones still use the mile system. One of the best indoor facilities at the University of Notre Dame has a lap that is 1/5 of a mile. This makes running middle distance races / long distances very difficult for split times. The person calling the splits does as much running as the athletes! I was an 800m runner... 2.5 laps...less a little bit! Very confusing!! 2.5 laps is 880 yards... the old olympic distance before it went metric!!

Domer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

...or worse minutes per mile, why not describe pace as mph?

It's minutes per mile because you can measure that easily with a stopwatch. Run a mile and all you have to do is look at your watch at the end. To get your mph you need to be good at maths or have a much fancier device.

The same goes for minutes per K, obviously.

Tingle wrote: »
    Yes, but I assume you know what a track is 400m.

Actually no :( , whats the story?

Domer wrote: »
    Just to confuse things even further....

In the US alot of the indoor tracks are measured in relation to a mile... 1609 meters. When Couglan was Chairman of the boards, most of the tracks he ran on were 10 laps to the mile. Even the newer ones still use the mile system. One of the best indoor facilities at the University of Notre Dame has a lap that is 1/5 of a mile. This makes running middle distance races / long distances very difficult for split times. The person calling the splits does as much running as the athletes! I was an 800m runner... 2.5 laps...less a little bit! Very confusing!! 2.5 laps is 880 yards... the old olympic distance before it went metric!!

Domer

The yanks, you gotta love em. Isn't the Penn Relays a crazy track too so you are starting the 400 halfway down the home straight?

• Advertisement

Actually no :( , whats the story?

"I consider it the backbone event. I mean, if it wasn’t important, why would you have a 400-meter track?” - Clyde Hart

It is to accomodate the most important event of all, everything else is a sideshow.

Tingle wrote: »
    "I consider it the backbone event. I mean, if it wasn’t important, why would you have a 400-meter track?” - Clyde Hart

It is to accomodate the most important event of all, everything else is a sideshow.
    haha clasic...

When you think of it 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m then it all goes a bit mad 1500(should be 1600), 3k (why not 3200) and so on.

Well there's a whole other can of worms! Binary based distances. Would suit all the IT geeks, who could rattle out the maths. Might have to have 64 seconds in a minute, 64 minutes in an hour, 32 hours in a day though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'd agree that kms are a little more flattering to the old ego on longer runs alright.

Measured my cycle into work- 10miles 275yards 2 foot 14 inches and five ounces exactly! Maybe I'll get into it!

Like the binary option- pasty legged thick-glasses nerds like myself would surely go for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Trained always to miles and my first 4 marathons were marked in miles, then went to Berlin last year and was in KM :eek:.
    In the end I actually found as TFB has said that it was easier as the Km's were knocked off quicker. Yes there are more of them, but you get the the next Km marker alot quicker and thought it was very motivating. I remember my other martathons waiting and waiting for the next mile mark.
    I still however pace at minutes per mile :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

European marathons tend to be marked in Kms, UK, USA and Ireland in miles. While the UK and US still use miles for day to day living, Ireland uses kms so I don't see why our marathons haven't caught up.

Probably to suit the amount of runners from the UK and US who take part in our marathons.

I'm all for kms too. As Daithi says you get more regular updates, every 4 minutes rather than 6, or whatever. Easier to monitor pace in both training and racing. It's nothing to do with ego and making the run sound longer.

well its 60% + MORE EFFORT:p

if you where to ask Joe Bloggs int he street how fast he would run a mile or how fast he would run 1 609.344 meters lol....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I have a slight preference for km's, for the ease of sub-division without complicated maths but as most people I talk to, talk in miles (or worse minutes per mile, why not describe pace as mph?*) I can converse pretty easily in both./quote]

have to say can operate a little better in miles , i suppose cause i operated under the old system when i tranied as a young lass and yes hm i am one of those that you talk about, mins/miles people , the mph might be easy for you been an ultra-marathoner and all but for us ordinary folk min/mile pace works better:)
    think its important to be comfortable with kms for racing purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I have a slight preference for km's, for the ease of sub-division without complicated maths but as most people I talk to, talk in miles (or worse minutes per mile, why not describe pace as mph?*) I can converse pretty easily in both.

QUOTE]

brains as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

There are still plenty of 4, 5-mile and 10-mile races around - it'll be a while before we see a ballycotton 16 I think..

For a marathon I mix units and break it down in my head to 2x10milers and a 10k which would be race distances I am used to and can get my head around.

Advertisement