Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player of the year

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

5 games to go, and I don't think anything that happens in the meantime will change peoples opinions, so how about a player of the year?

I've deliberately left out the mid-season signings, though Palacios is a huge part of why we have dragged ourselves out of the danger zone. I personally don't think Keane has done enough since arriving to be considered.

Player of the year? 50 votes

Gomes
    0% 0 votes
    Ekotto
    4% 2 votes
    Corluka
    10% 5 votes
    King
    8% 4 votes
    Modric
    10% 5 votes
    Lennon
    12% 6 votes
    Bent
    40% 20 votes
    Woodgate
    0% 0 votes
    Harry's Missus
    16% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

would have to go with lennon for shear improvement and hard work. i think he has come on big time this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Voted for Aaron Lennon. He has been excellent for a large part of the season. I really hope he can develop his game over the next 2 years and push on to becoming a really top player.

Suprised and dissapointed that Woodgate was'nt even among the nominees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I voted for Lennon too With Modric a close Second.

For most improved it would be a toss up for BAE and Gomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

its a tough one, mainly because all the above players have had great moments and not so great moments...i went with lennon also, although Gomes and Corluka would be close seconds.

Ever player has been equally inconsistant- but now that we've got a bit of form, i wonder how much that loss to blackburn will cost us in our quest for european qualification...

froosh69 wrote: »
    its a tough one, mainly because all the above players have had great moments and not so great moments...i went with lennon also, although Gomes and Corluka would be close seconds.

Ever player has been equally inconsistant- but now that we've got a bit of form, i wonder how much that loss to blackburn will cost us in our quest for european qualification...

Gomes a close 2nd for player of the season......god give me strength !!

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Gomes a close 2nd for player of the season......god give me strength !!

five-successive clean sheets in the league at home...nothin to be sniffed at...if he played like he's playing now sice the start of the season, he'd deffo be player of the season...he is a major reason why were out of the relegation battle and have hit form!

froosh69 wrote: »
    five-successive clean sheets in the league at home...nothin to be sniffed at...if he played like he's playing now sice the start of the season, he'd deffo be player of the season...he is a major reason why were out of the relegation battle and have hit form!

Sorry mate, but if my aunt had balls n all that.................

Sorry mate, but if my aunt had balls n all that.................

Dont get me wrong, now!I think this season has seen the squad being the most inconsistant ever...now that Gomes has put some form together in the last few games, which have been VERY important games, I think he is only second to lennon, who is the only player who seemed to be playing out of his skin for much of the season. Gomes is not the best keeper in the world, but he's doing it for us now, and is playing as well as any Spurs player is at the minute.

So yeah, my no.2 player of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

went for corluka myself. he has been consistant pretty much every game. think i remember him having one bad match. not bad for a new signing!

gomez has been brilliant and poison.
    lennon was in my mind as well but i have been really impressed with our no.22.

anyone know why he is called charlie?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Voted for Córluka myself too earlier think he's called charlie cause of Harry been cockney and all that, maybe they trying to sneak him in as a brit for when the 6+5 rule eventually comes in:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Went for Corluka,very consistant player. I'm amazed that Woodgate is not on the list...

keane=cock wrote: »
    went for corluka myself. he has been consistant pretty much every game. think i remember him having one bad match. not bad for a new signing!

gomez has been brilliant and poison.
    lennon was in my mind as well but i have been really impressed with our no.22.

anyone know why he is called charlie?

He's been known as Charlie since he was a kid I think. Somebody named him Charlie and it stuck for some reason, think I read it in Hotspur mag a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Lennon for me player of the season with gomes a close 2nd , 5 clean sheets in a row ...sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tippspur wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Woodgate is not on the list...

While none of our squad have shown a real level of consistency this season, I was disappointed with Woodgate at times. He looks a new man with Ledley alongside him, and long may that continue, but with his experience I would have expected him to be able to lead his defence in Kings absence. I'm not sure he achieved that.

I think it's telling nobody thinks he is our player of the year.

While none of our squad have shown a real level of consistency this season, I was disappointed with Woodgate at times. He looks a new man with Ledley alongside him, and long may that continue, but with his experience I would have expected him to be able to lead his defence in Kings absence. I'm not sure he achieved that.

I think it's telling nobody thinks he is our player of the year.

Disagree completely. I think he has been very good this season. I think he was one of the very few that showed that he actually really cared about our plight when we started so badly, and his interview after the game in Italy (i think ) showed this. Having a good defensive midfielder in front of the centre halves has made a huge difference, and the fact that we now have one, along with the return of King has improved us.

For me, he was probably our only shining light in the early part of the season, and his performances since Harry has arrived have been excellent.

For you to say ' I think it's telling nobody thinks he is our player of the year ' is silly. The fact that Gomes, BAE and Bent get on such a list ahead of Woodgate is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fcuk me, why do I bother?

Any of the rest of you were free to start a poll for player of the year.

Tell you what, I'll add him in and you can all knock yourselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Woodgate was a shadow of the player first half of season to the player he is now.....one reason....SUPER KING!. He wouldnt get on the first page of player of year picks imo.

The fact that Gomes, BAE and Bent get on such a list ahead of Woodgate is laughable.

Give me strength..!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

i have gone for bae, not a popular choice but on balance he has been consistent over a season where players have played well within themselves or not at all.
    His last 5 or 6 games have been very impressive close run thing with lennon who has recovered much of the original form which led everyone on here to assume we had a very very good talent at the lane.
    Woodgate has been consistent but he dose not seem to take on the leadership role you would expect of such an experienced player he always seems to play within himself and dosent marshall the defence as you would expect such as king.
    maybe he is trying to protect himself from the injuries which have plauged his carreer to date but personnally i expect more, he is going to be first name down for centre half when kings knee gives up thats when he will prove what he is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

hatch and reckless i agree and disagree with both of u.

i think woodie was found to be hidin in a couple of games when we needed him to stand up and be counted but he also put in some great performances also when we needed him. but some of his under par performances were when the whole team was playing poorly so i would nt hold it against him.

still rate him very highly

• Advertisement

Fcuk me, why do I bother?

Any of the rest of you were free to start a poll for player of the year.

Tell you what, I'll add him in and you can all knock yourselves out.

Why take things so personal :rolleyes:

Here was me thinking this was a forum where fans could voice there opinion, I'll keep quiet in future :cool:

keane=cock wrote: »
    i think woodie was found to be hidin in a couple of games when we needed him to stand up and be counted but he also put in some great performances also when we needed him. but some of his under par performances were when the whole team was playing poorly so i would nt hold it against him.

Pretty much sums up the whole squad this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disagree completely. I think he has been very good this season. I think he was one of the very few that showed that he actually really cared about our plight when we started so badly, and his interview after the game in Italy (i think ) showed this. Having a good defensive midfielder in front of the centre halves has made a huge difference, and the fact that we now have one, along with the return of King has improved us.

For me, he was probably our only shining light in the early part of the season, and his performances since Harry has arrived have been excellent.

For you to say ' I think it's telling nobody thinks he is our player of the year ' is silly. The fact that Gomes, BAE and Bent get on such a list ahead of Woodgate is laughable.
    Agree totally with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ah gurls, stop fighting.

anyway, ive gone for gomes. we all talk about how long it takes for players new to the epl to adapt, i think he found it very difficult in the first 3 months. when you come form a team that is consistant, and every one knows who is doing what to come into the ramos side that accassionally showed attacking flair with none of the attricutes of decent defending, i think he made a choice to do what he did.
    harry came in, sorted out the situation, and got him a decent keeper coach.

since then, the defence has been very strong, and he has re-adapted, and the whole back row has gelled very nicely.

with this in mind, i think that consistancy he has shown, along with some of the saves he has made, against chelsea a couple of weeks ao stands out by the way, he really has shown himself to be a world class keeper. but i have voted for him based on his continued application, and i think he is our most improved player.

on a side note, i think its grea we will now no longer bring in talented players and expect them to proform based on past play, but will actually bring in the players we need, that will fit with what the gaffer wants to do. just buying great players for the sake of it sems to be a thing of the past, and long may it never happen again.

actually, i think our player of the season is harry. much as i really disliked him originally, i think he has proved to be a canny operator, and an incredible manager. after all, we did only have 2 points from 8 games when he started. i wonder does he know about this stat yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

difficult to say really, no candidates really stick out.

Suppose it would be Lennon or King or Harry's missus for me.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I went for Ekotto - cant believe the improvement in him this season. Dawson and Lennon too made huge steps.

I'm afraid Gomes makes brilliant saves but then concedes soft goals - Berbatov's yesterday should have been an easy save.

Oh for Shay Givens

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

I went or Ekotto too.... He's been very under-rated all season, good going forward, tough tackling and very energetic, our most improved player this season... Dawson until he was injured would be my number 2 player of the year and Lennon of course 3rd...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Lennon with Luka Modric a very close second.

Have to wonder 'What If' we'd had a full season with Palacios and Gomes with the recent rejuvinated form.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

went for BAE. he's quietly gone about solving our troublesome left back slot and is developing in to a top top left back.

Have to add im a massive fan of gomes, the guy will prove to be one of our great keepers. He' become a legend. Anyone remeber thorsvedt when he first came, and look how that turned out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Has to be Lennon for me. Almost every game he's played he has tormented defenders, the big difference this year is that he has added an end product to his runs.

On the subject of BAE, he has improved greatly but think he needs to go to crossing school over the summer. If he can add this to his game he may be a contender next year.

Advertisement