Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water meters in Bray?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Anyone know if the council is installing water meters in Bray? We had 3 guys from the council knock on our door to say there was a "broken pipe" on our stretch of foot path. They cut into the pavement and were done "mending" in about 20minutes - only there didn't appear to be any water gushing out or signs of a broken pipe. Some neighbors thought they might be installing a water meter for the road, but I don't know why they would have to be devious about it when we can't stop them from installing something under the public footpath.

Has anyone heard anything about water meters coming in??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One water meter for a whole road? Don't think so. Water meters are installed per house.

Anyway, just because you can't see any outward signs of a leak doesn't mean there aren't any. They have listening apparatus that can detect the sound of even the smallest underground leaks. Good on them for being pro-active for a change, and repairing the small leaks before they become abigger problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Thanks, Alun. One meter for the whole road (or side of the street anyway- they did something to the other side of the street a few weeks ago) seemed odd to me to, but a neighbor said all the pipes from the houses on our side met in front of our foot path so they could meter all of them from that point.

You're probably right though and we're just being paranoid and should be more appreciative of the council's proactive actions! Anyway, I'm all for encouraging measures for people to conserve water so I don't mind having to meter my usage - I just wanted to know if the county had actually made a decision to install meters and were actually trying to do it covertly as the neighbors are suggesting...

Thanks for the insight!
    Alun wrote: »
    One water meter for a whole road? Don't think so. Water meters are installed per house.

Anyway, just because you can't see any outward signs of a leak doesn't mean there aren't any. They have listening apparatus that can detect the sound of even the smallest underground leaks. Good on them for being pro-active for a change, and repairing the small leaks before they become abigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyway, I'm all for encouraging measures for people to conserve water so I don't mind having to meter my usage - I just wanted to know if the county had actually made a decision to install meters and were actually trying to do it covertly as the neighbors are suggesting...
    FWIW I agree with you ... I've spent more than half my life in countries that have had water metering, not to mention separate sewage and waste water charges, so I too don't really see what all the fuss is about either :)

Anyway, if they really were installing meters for every house, it would have taken a lot more than 20 mins, plus you'd all have lost your water supply while they were doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

There have been water meters on the ground of newer Developments for years its [Inevitable they will charge for water in the future.

Advertisement