Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin, Balgriffin area

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,

I'm moving to Dublin to work (at Beaumont hospital) for a year and will be staying in a new estate in Balgriffin Rd area.

Can any one offer some tips on where there are nice local shops, public transport to the city and any general tips for this area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You won't be too far from a 24 Hour Tesco in Clare Hall, and a bit further toward town on the Malahide Road there is a Lidl.

At the Hilton Hotel opposite the Tesco there is a small Supermarket called Fresh, it's a bit more expensive than Tesco, but some of the food is delicious.

In the same area there is an Off Licence and a Bank Of Ireland branch, the bank in particular is very good as it isn't ever very busy.

You'll have Campions Pub nearer to you, and it has a little shop attached that sells basic provisions like bread, milk and tea bags etc

Bus number 42 and 43 will pass you on a regular basis in the morning/evening going to the City Centre, if you walked up to the Tesco you could also catch a 27 or a 128 (the 128 goes across the city to Rathmines, the 42, 43 and 27 stop in and around Talbot/Marlboro Street).

Not very good for getting to Beaumount Hospital it has to be said though. You could catch the 42/43 to Coolock Village and get on the 103 or the 104 there, but them busses are not very regular at all. I suppose it wouldn't be a far walk from Coolock Village to Beaumount Hospital if you were to go in the back entrance to the Hospital it would take about a half hour or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

Des wrote: »
    You won't be too far from a 24 Hour Tesco in Clare Hall, and a bit further toward town on the Malahide Road there is a Lidl.

At the Hilton Hotel opposite the Tesco there is a small Supermarket called Fresh, it's a bit more expensive than Tesco, but some of the food is delicious.

In the same area there is an Off Licence and a Bank Of Ireland branch, the bank in particular is very good as it isn't ever very busy.

You'll have Campions Pub nearer to you, and it has a little shop attached that sells basic provisions like bread, milk and tea bags etc

Bus number 42 and 43 will pass you on a regular basis in the morning/evening going to the City Centre, if you walked up to the Tesco you could also catch a 27 or a 128 (the 128 goes across the city to Rathmines, the 42, 43 and 27 stop in and around Talbot/Marlboro Street).

Not very good for getting to Beaumount Hospital it has to be said though. You could catch the 42/43 to Coolock Village and get on the 103 or the 104 there, but them busses are not very regular at all. I suppose it wouldn't be a far walk from Coolock Village to Beaumount Hospital if you were to go in the back entrance to the Hospital it would take about a half hour or thereabouts.

Thanks for the tips.... prob end up buying a car to get to work....

Are there any open markets/fish markets/wholesalers near by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You can drive to Howth in about fifteen minutes for all the fresh fish you want.

There are a few meat wholesalers around too, but I can't remember where.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If I was getting the bus from there to Beaumont Hospital I would get the 27 and get of at Northside Shopping center and walk in to the Hospital the back way via Kilmore,it should only be about a 10 min walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Theres a meat wholesalers in the industrial estate behind where coolock Lidl is. its a straight run on the bus for less than a mile. :)

EIDT: theres also a new supermarket open in the bottom of the apartments next to the hilton hotel. its pretty big and they have everything you'll need. 2 mins from a 24hr tesco too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Masada wrote: »
    2 mins from a 24hr tesco too. :)

The Darndale Opera House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Thats an improvement on what ive heard it called, Darndale extension. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

Anyone know of any chinese/korean/japanese grocery stores nearby? Or where to get basic chinese/japanese groceries? We love our japanese food! :)

I heard Aya closed down too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Des wrote: »
    You can drive to Howth in about fifteen minutes for all the fresh fish you want.

There are a few meat wholesalers around too, but I can't remember where.

You'll go broke if you buy fish too often in Howth. But a car will be a big advantage in Balgriffin.

Be prepared for the fact the you'll be a bit isolated in what was the countryside a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

There a great fish wholesaler and meat wholesaler in an industrial estate near where the Stardust was in Artane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement