Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What chainring combo do you have

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Bought a cyclocrosser on the basis that it would be easier to make a roader out of a cyclocrosser than making a cyclocrosser out of a roadie.
    Kit and weight were not far off a roadie so I expected that it would be half-decent roadie, but the gear ratio's seem to be a bit to far off for road racing.

Front: 34x50 / Rear 13-25

What do you have on yours?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Front: 34x50 / Rear 12-25

What do you have on yours?

They're compact chainrings and unless you are racing at quite a high level or all your races finish in downhill sprints, you'll be fine.

I use 53/39 but I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage with your set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Compact on the front
    12/27 on the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

53/39
    12-23 I think ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

that's a compact - very common these days.

I use 50-34 /// 11-25 and find it fine, though I would get a 53-39 if I was racing. Just to fit in really.

I have yet to meat the beast for whom 50-11 isn't enough inches.

//awaits tunney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

niceonetom wrote: »

Matron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

52 / 42 on the front 11 /23 on the back ( used to be 12/ 26) don't know if that is a good combination though , had no choice when I went to replace the back cassette last week . Halfords only had the 11/23 and I was desperate to sort out a "jumping" problem I had encountered so I bought the different combo , would any of the people who know these things tell me if that ratio is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I wouldn't mind a 53-11, but would be lost without a 34 inner ring :(

Currently 50/34 11-25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

52/39 front 12/27 rear. Was 11/25 till Monday. Now the hills are a tad easier.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Compact on the front
    12/27 on the rear

Dolomites?

niceonetom wrote: »
    that's a compact - very common these days.

I use 50-34 /// 11-25 and find it fine, though I would get a 53-39 if I was racing. Just to fit in really.

//awaits tunney.

Well funny you should mention it but I span out my 53x12 (120rpm +) in a race at the weekend. Would have killed for a 53x11, or maybe a 54x11. A mate was recently b!tching about spinning out his 53x11 in the tour of the north recently - he's a beast though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    Well funny you should mention it but I span out my 53x12 (120rpm +) in a race at the weekend.

66.7kph. Please tell me you were going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

50x34
    11-28

... 28 ... yes ... laugh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »

A certain boardsie did this too on saturday. I was tucked in behind him and hardly had to pedal my 50x11.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I broke my landspeed record on my recent trip to Spain. 93kph. And yes, I was going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Well funny you should mention it but I span out my 53x12 (120rpm +) in a race at the weekend. Would have killed for a 53x11, or maybe a 54x11. A mate was recently b!tching about spinning out his 53x11 in the tour of the north recently - he's a beast though.
    50 x 11 greater than 53 x 12 116 inches v's 119 unless your on 185 cranks:D
    Thats some monster gear you are pushing Tunney

Lumen wrote: »

Slight downhill with a decent tailwind.

sy wrote: »
    50 x 11 greater than 53 x 12 116 inches v's 119 unless your on 185 cranks:D
    Thats some monster gear you are pushing Tunney

Not a common occurence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I broke my landspeed record on my recent trip to Spain. 93kph. And yes, I was going downhill.

Holy mother! What did that feel like?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A certain boardsie did this too on saturday. I was tucked in behind him and hardly had to pedal my 50x11.

Thanks for coming through to take the lead, oh wait, you didn't!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

And there was another Boardsie ahead of him going even faster that you couldn't get tucked in behind!

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Holy mother! What did that feel like?

Not half as scary as going a bit slower on some descents in Wicklow. It was a long straight descent on a good road and I had a tailwind. I was really surprised I got up to that speed as it wasn't the usual bone jarring experience.

And there was another Boardsie ahead of him going even faster that you couldn't get tucked in behind!

Aye. I was spinning out the 53/12 and tryna tuck. Still couldn't catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Yikes! I think my max is mid-60s, and that was more than enough.

How do you slow down at that speed...hang in there and wait for the road to stop falling?

MadHatter wrote: »
    How do you slow down at that speed...hang in there and wait for the road to stop falling?

Anticipate your next corner and start braking gently to scrub out speed.

I got 76 coming down Djouce the other week. Don't really wanna go much faster on that stretch cos of all the houses at the bottom. A jeep started to pull out as I was nearing the bottom. Glad that he saw me. I reckon you could get close to 90 coming down there with the right lead out man, a tailwind and some nerves of steel.

I've tickled 80 coming off Sally Gap towards the N81... wouldn't mind getting some nice European descents though, with a good surface, going fast is awesome!

@Raam -you just need to add a few pounds boyo, that's what makes me faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

winter rothar 53/39 / 23/12
    racer rothar 53/39 / 23/11
    TT rothar 54/39 / 23/11

BMX ( 44 x 16 ! SE Racing PK RIPPER, does n't come out now !! )

I must admit when start road biking seriously back in 99/00, there were no compact chainsets .... I don't think I could use one now ......

Biker Joe.

I am going to build a fixie soon, really don't what gear ???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

twas a decent tailwind alright and you were clearly flying! Only have an SCR1 with compact but spun out the 50x11 and was wishing I was on a TT bike

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's not really the absolute top end that is the issue, the bigger advantage to a standard double racing is that the front shifting is better and you don't lose any momentum shifting. With a compact there is a big gap between the 50 and the 34 and you have to shift simultaneously on the back, you don't necessarily need to do this on a standard. This doesn't matter so much unless you are in a race!

To be honest a cyclocross bike is not going to be optimal for road racing, the position is different, the bike is heavier, and the brakes in particular tend to have far less modulation which is essential in a bunch (I have two cross bikes.)

I have a couple of cranks (53/39 and 50/34) and cassettes (11-23 and 12-27) on my racer, so I can mix and match. 53/39 11-23 for racing in Ireland, 50/34 12-27 for the Marmotte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Raam wrote: »
    I got 76 coming down Djouce the other week. Don't really wanna go much faster on that stretch cos of all the houses at the bottom. A jeep started to pull out as I was nearing the bottom. Glad that he saw me. I reckon you could get close to 90 coming down there with the right lead out man, a tailwind and some nerves of steel.

I got 88kmph on that stretch - its pure nuts alright - the only benefit to being a fat git is sweet sweet gravity kicking in on a descent!!

Advertisement