Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What chainring combo do you have

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Road
    53,39 crankset
    12,25 training
    11,23 racing (there are never any proper climbs in Irish races - and I tend to use the 11 a lot racing - an 11,25 would probably work but I like the close ratios on the 11,23)

MTB
    42,28 (going on the 'hack' bike for starters)

A 42 on as the big ring is enough for all XC racers, maybe in a few marathons with long fireroad descents you would need a standard 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

11,23 racing (there are never any proper climbs in Irish races - and I tend to use the 11 a lot racing - an 11,25 would probably work but I like the close ratios on the 11,23)

Even for Shay Elliot?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I had a look at the Shay Elliot profile this morning - it's actually pretty flat (apart from Shay Elliot climb itself). On Shay Elliot, I remember the first part being pretty steep [9-10% for first km] but I can hoof over that... If (and as I'm on a heavy training load this week, it is a big if) I was anywhere near the lead, the speed up the climb would mean that I wouldn't be hitting the 25 anyway.

Doing the Kippure climb the other week, I never used the 25, lowest was 21 I think (possibly hit 23 when seated, but not sure).

Besides, it's the only cassette I have with an 11, and I'll need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I have 50/36 up front and 11/25 at the back. It's gotten me up any hills I've tried so far but not without much gnashing of teeth (mine, not the chainrings).

I toyed with the idea of switching to 12/27 for the Wicklow 200, but then one night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking tunney was on his way round to my house to berate me for being such a wuss. So I've decided to HTFU and stick with what I have.

Maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

53/39 x 25/12 and do LOTS of climbing 1000's meters (altitude)

• Advertisement
Advertisement