Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "Aliens vs. Predator": First Details Emerge

Options
  • 23-04-2009 1:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5224038/first-look-at-new-aliens-vs-predator

Well colour me interested. Not a whole lot to go on so far except some screenshots & slight details. At least they'll have the 3 campaigns intact; I hope the multiplayer's decent, I miss AvP2 multiplayer :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

AvP2 was a great game, hopefully this will be something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Absolutely loved the first AvP game, 2 was decent too.

Interested in this now. Also, an Aliens game? I had no idea about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hope the multiplayer's decent, I miss AvP2 multiplayer :(

I don't. There's a recession on. I can't afford to have to keep buying new underwear!:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »
    I don't. There's a recession on. I can't afford to have to keep buying new underwear!:o
    Haha, yeah I know what you mean; I remember back in the day playing the demo multiplayer map, Auriga ( I Think it was called). Fun scary times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

If this game can be brought to all consoles i think it will do great, A lot of people missed out on AVP 1 and 2.

I cant wait to relive the terror with friends that not never got to experience it.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines game has been delayed, supposedly because of layoffs at Gearbox Software. Gearbox president Randy Pitchford has insisted that development on the game continues, but further details on the status of the project have not been released as of this writing

I wonder which game will be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmmm rebellion is doing it.

Which has me sort of torn.

Monolith did AVP2, but Rebellion did AVP1

each one had their own strengths and weaknessess.

AVP2 had alot of cool little extras that made it awesome, playing as a facehugger, a single player campaign with an actual plot (that felt like a aliens movie) and quite an extensive list of multiplayer options.

But AVP1 got the feel alot more. It was scarier, playing as each of the three sides really felt different with the predator feeling alot heavier then the other two (something that is a bit off when compared to the films but in gameplay terms it felt right) the alien most of all they got almost perfect in the first game (with the lack of facehugger being the only missing feature) from how the world looked (fisheye was so cool) to how it moved and interacted with the world. Marine in AVP1 was pants sh*ttingly scary, much more so the second game (which like Aliens the movie compensated horror with outright awesome action.)

Things that have me curious is will Rebellion take the cream from avp2 and combine it with the feel they had for avp 1. Would it have been better to have gone with Monolith who since avp2 have done many quality titles (FEAR and Condemned) which might have brought some new twists (improved hand to hand combate for aliens/predator) Rebellions track record post AVP has not been the best
    #
    # Asterix: Search for Dogmatix (2000, Game Boy Color)
    # Gunlok (2000, PC)
    # Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf (2000, PlayStation version)
    # Largo Winch (2000, Playstation)
    # Skyhammer (2000, Jaguar)
    # Snood (2001, GBA)
    # Klustar (2001, GBA)
    # Midnight Club: Street Racing (2001, Game Boy Advance version)
    # Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James (2001, PlayStation)
    # Delta Force: Urban Warfare (2002, Playstation)
    # Medal of Honor: Underground (2002, Game Boy Advance)
    # Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf (2002, Game Boy Advance)
    # Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death (2003, PC, GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox)
    # Gunfighter II: Revenge of Jesse James (2003, PlayStation 2)
    # Iron Storm (2004, PS2, PC)
    # Sniper Elite (2005, PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox)
    # Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (2005, PlayStation 2)
    # James Bond: From Russia with Love (2006 PSP)
    # Dead to Rights: Reckoning (2006, PSP)
    # GUN Showdown (2006, PSP)
    # Rogue Trooper (2006, PC, Xbox and PS2)
    # Miami Vice (2006, PSP)
    # Delta Force: Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre (2006, PlayStation 2)
    # Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (2007, PSP)
    # Free Running (2007, PlayStation 2, PSP)
    # Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007, PSP)
    # The Simpsons Game (2007, PlayStation 2, PSP, Wii)
    # Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (video game) (2007, PSP)
    # Call of Duty: World at War (Final Fronts) (2008, PS2)
    # Shellshock 2: Blood Trails (2009, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC)

Or will this be a big leap away from prior games (personnally I would like to play a predator game which takes a leaf from Crysis)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sweet Jebus have you seen the new screens !!!
    I can't open the main page here at work but here are the pages..

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1597/avp2.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1578/avp1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A trio of what look like proper screenshots, plus a teaser trailer:

http://kotaku.com/5262684/aliens-vs-predator-first-screens-teaser-and-campaign-details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

It's certainly pretty enough, but not much else to go on.

Always preferred AvP1 over 2, simply due to the fact AvP2 wasn't scary at all compared to the original, and the origional had exceptional multiplayer for small scale LAN play, 4 player pred tag was immensely good fun, as was survival mode or whatever it was called (skirmish? players vs AI aliens, lots of em).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

humanji wrote: »

You play computer games with your pants on?

• Advertisement

More new ingame screens, there's about 3/4 in total, on top of those seen already; they're clearly posed shots for promotional purposes (with added photoshop'ing), though they're somewhat useful to get a sense of what the engine will be like (brown with brown shadows):
    http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685633/Aliens-vs-Predator-Screenshots-Blutige-Bilder-zum-Sega-Actionspiel-erschienen/PC/News/?menu=browser&image_id=1136170&browsersize=fullscreen

Anyone know what actual 3D engine the game's to be built on? It looks like the Unreal3 engine, but that's just a guess based on the lighting / bump-mapping.

First proper footage; the Predator vision looks good:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

That looks bloody great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ruddy bloody great

Just thought I'd update this thread with the latest - Marines based - trailer. Still looks like it might be good (though there are moments that look a bit too "Quick Time Event" for my liking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljJpco0VZI&hd=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The first half of that video was a cringe-worthy attempt at creating a tense atmosphere. It was just so... 'by the numbers'.

Second half was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

im only glad that my job pays enough to buy this. and colonial marines. and mw2. and l4d2, and probably a new graphics card.. actually.. this might get expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

mawk wrote: »
    im only glad that my job pays enough to buy this. and colonial marines. and mw2. and l4d2, and probably a new graphics card.. actually.. this might get expensive

Just be thankful you have "a job" tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yeah you big employed fecker! Fancypants! :p

Saw the marines trailer yesterday, looks great, and there's a Predator walkthrough on GameTrailers which is aslo cool:
    Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50382
    Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50380

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

A new one? Is this a remake or an unofficial third in the series?

AvP2 was a fantastic game.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    A new one? Is this a remake or an unofficial third in the series?

It's the official third game & it's being developed by Rebellion - the developers of the very first AvP game. Although their portfolio since then has been ... patchy to say the least, it bodes well that AvP3 is in the hands of an old developer, rather than some newb team.

Made by monolith, who sadly are off doing their own thing at the moment :(

Wouldnt a monolith/rebellion joint project be awesome.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Made by monolith, who sadly are off doing their own thing at the moment :(

Wouldnt a monolith/rebellion joint project be awesome.
    The only thing I ever want to see Monolith doing is No One Lives Forever 3, screw joint ventures :P These days, Monolith have gone all moody & Angst-ridden (Condemned & FEAR)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Yeah you big employed fecker! Fancypants! :p

Saw the marines trailer yesterday, looks great, and there's a Predator walkthrough on GameTrailers which is aslo cool:
    Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50382
    Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50380

Just watched that mostly disapointed, its pretty much by the numbers what the rebellion did for the first game, the only innovative things they added were

the new long jumping, which was in avp2 (crouch and jump) and it looks a bit clunky in this with aiming a retiticle.

Identifying marine weapons. This is a great idea which wasnt really shown off in the walkthrough. IF the marine weapons are as seriously overpowered in this as they were in the first avp, then this would greatly impact how a predator attacks (go for smartgun first cause it has motion tracking etc.)

I didnt like the visual modes in this one as much as I did in the first two games. THey had it spot on with the right sweeping effect and strength. For balance it should be that in either hunt vision you should be able to spot alien or marine anywhere, but you would have issue moving around as details in the level would be much weaker, while normal vision the level details are strong but its much harder to spot opponents.

Also while people would b*tch about how poorly the aliens are done in some comics, the predator has always had some badass ideas in the comics and one which is again being overlooked are the evil predator mines from cold war, which done explode but are like insanely vicous bear traps. I'd hope with rebellion owning a comic book company they might have taken a few leaf's from that rather then the newest film and thrown them in rather then plain explosive mines.

sadly no pics online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

trailers looking pretty awesome. the predator jump seems a bit over the top to me though.. the alien pounce must send you in to orbit!

Advertisement