Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about poor oul' Jimmy?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Is there anyone out there even remotely concerned about poor oul' Jimmy Devins TD?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

why?

did something happen to him besides losing all his credibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Xiney wrote: »
    why?

did something happen to him besides losing all his credibility?

See here for details.

Apparently he's a rebel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I don't think Jimmy is poor. Apparantly all the sacked Junior Ministers are getting a nice payoff and they are still TD's of course.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he was a bit relieved to be sacked, he got a lot of flak over the cancer services issue whilst he was Junior Minister when he tried to please both sides, it was obvious he didn't please the protesters but now it appears he didn't even end up pleasing the FF powers that be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My heart would bleed for him, if the government hadn't introduced a 10% levy in the budget on bleeding hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

It is me -- or is all this (re-schuffle of Junior Ministers) an attempt to side-line the main economic issue of the day -- ie how this country is going to be indebted to bankers for ever?

Seems like Fianna Fail in Sligo are going to implode in County Council elections -- this move re the Doc, is to my mind a little bit of jockeying in an inverted way of seeking symapthy for the Sligo Town TD.

If this re-schuffle occurred one year ago you would give it some credence -- but today it looks like making a few thoroughly uninteresting politicans instantly unforgettable.

Thought it was hilarious how the Doc was sitting up with Wee Mary at front bench of the Drawl -- looking to exude all the poise of a true natural born monarch. Well the crown's slipped somewhat.

Just my opinion, but I think Dr Devins will be deligthed with this -- as he abstained in Sligo Cancer vote in Dail, and he and his supporters can now peddle the yard, that he's been made a sacrificial lamb as a result of this and now being a victim he will get a sympathy vote (it will also help would be County Councillors).

Watch this space, there can be no other rational explanation -- as the Junior Ministers are really another Governmental excess, but helpful for glad-handing the back benchers.

Must say the Junior Ministers (or TD Secretaries as they were in olden days) system smacks of the worst type of political croneyism -- however, all parties are pretty much guilty of keeping their proverbial snouts in the expenses trough.

He's being pretty anonymous in Sligo to date -- the irony of his holding the a former Junior Health Portfolio, was amazing, which basically tells the average punter, when a policy Minister with specific powers, can't tackle the likes of Drumm etc, then simply what's the point of this position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Watch this space, there can be no other rational explanation -- as the Junior Ministers are really another Governmental excess, but helpful for glad-handing the back benchers.

What back benchers?... There are only 2 FF back benchers left in the Dail. Bertie has seen to that. Have we forgotten, he introduced a third tier last year. Now along with Senior Minister, Junior Minister , We now have 'The Junior Junior Minister'

Why did he do this you might very well ask? Basically to put a plug on any potential dissidents or upstarts in the party I'd imagine. Keeping them quiet as it were.

So we shouldn't fret too much about Jimmy. Biffo the clown will find a new title for him in these ranks....however obscure.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Good one re Junior Junior -- what's the story with these people.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

See here for details.

Apparently he's a rebel!

Well, he's apparently not rebel enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jimmy can take a good run and jump for himself. He and other FF politicians have shown that they have no backbone, and are only interested in towing the party line and hoping that their is a cash cow at the end!!

He and FF have condemned some of those who will be voting this summer to death with the continuing plan of the removal of cancer services in the general hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

When I read the title I thought it was about jimmy who posts here so when I opened the thread I was a little disappointed.

I'm not too bothered about Jimmy Devins. He doesn't seem to have done very much for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

In a word.......

NO!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

dont even get me started about this man, or i be here all nite

in a nut shell he's a *****

he even backed down from a interview this morning on ocean fm, i wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

What's ***** in relation too rio? :D:D

I'm not a fan of him,not of Jude,is that his son or nephew or any relation at all?

What good things has Jimmy done for the town, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Hes a waste of space, what has he done for sligo? Other then when he was j minister for health run away from his post and get put as minister for technology. Id say he was getting some much hassle he as the big guy to get him out of health quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My claim to fame. I was one of those irate women that made a minister (this one) run away from them. :D

Joooooooooooee Duffy, here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Jimmy is far from poor ,but he is very much out of touch with ordinary people....i also know someone who met his wife lately ,she no longer wants to be called mary,from now on its judge devins:D like i said not in touch with the real world!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

An old italian american friend of mine put it best:

F**k him; F**k him in the Ear!

bobcar61 wrote: »

I'm not a fan of him,not of Jude,is that his son or nephew or any relation at all?

Nobody knows. He was good at ducking the cancer services people at this years Sligo St. Patrick's Day parade though, I'll give him that.

Priceless photographs taken of him (Weekender a couple weeks ago, I think) with that other g**s***e Mark " I was born Fianna Fail and I will die Fianna Fail" Mc.Sharry in the viewing stand in O'Connell St.
    There they were, happily applauding every float that passed them.... That was until the Save Our Cancer Services people came along. Jimmy was suddenly nowhere to be seen. He appeared to sneak away until they were gone and then when the coast was clear, happily reclaimed his place along with Mark to resume his applause.

Jabby wrote: »
    Nobody knows. He was good at ducking the cancer services people at this years Sligo St. Patrick's Day parade though, I'll give him that.

Priceless photographs taken of him (Weekender a couple weeks ago, I think) with that other g**s***e Mark " I was born Fianna Fail and I will die Fianna Fail" Mc.Sharry in the viewing stand in O'Connell St.
    There they were, happily applauding every float that passed them.... That was until the Save Our Cancer Services people came along. Jimmy was suddenly nowhere to be seen. He appeared to sneak away until they were gone and then when the coast was clear, happily reclaimed his place along with Mark to resume his applause.

Would that be the same Mark Mc Sharry - senator elect & auctioneer / B.E.R. assessor that helped camapign for auctioneers to be allowed to assess their own clients for "Building Energy Rating Cetificates"?

Hmmm. how strange?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Jabby wrote: »
    Now along with Senior Minister, Junior Minister , We now have 'The Junior Junior Minister'
    .:rolleyes:

Well I think they were meant to be called Stand in TDs rather than Junior Junior but then that would just make them STDs and no body really wants those.

• Advertisement

fmcc wrote: »
    Well I think they were meant to be called Stand in TDs rather than Junior Junior but then that would just make them STDs and no body really wants those.

:):):):D:D....or spare TD's. Excellent. Why didn't I think of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Would that be the same Mark Mc Sharry - senator elect & auctioneer / B.E.R. assessor that helped camapign for auctioneers to be allowed to assess their own clients for "Building Energy Rating Cetificates"?
    Hmmm. how strange?;)

Did not know that but it does not surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

No relation afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

dont get you bobcar !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

why in the name of ***k would anyone feel sorry for him????????!:eek:

he's still a TD with a hefty ''severance'' pay from being a JM and his wife is a judge... hardly people who deserve the pity of the taxpayer....

Did not know that but it does not surprise me.

Jobs for the boys.... the whole BER thing is a scam - during the boom years, developers were lashing up houses with little or no regard to building regulations - insulation in particular & now people are expected to upgrade their boilers & insulation just to bring them up to the standard they should've been built to in the first place.

I know quite a few people who did BER courses & none of them have gotten any work from it - auctioneers made sure that they got their way & do their own certs, so that's the housing market pretty much sown up. The county councils contracted their houses out to a handful of large firms, meanwhile Joe Soap's phone hasn't even rang once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Former junior minister Devins angry over demotion

MARESE McDONAGH and DEAGLÁN de BRÉADÚN

FORMER MINISTER of state Jimmy Devins admitted yesterday that he felt a certain amount of anger following his demotion this week.

The Sligo/north Leitrim TD said he had not got an explanation from the Taoiseach as to why he was dropped but he said he would be asking Brian Cowen for a reason “because I do believe I have done a good job”.

Mr Devins sparked a furious reaction from cancer campaigners in the northwest yesterday when he suggested he was being punished for supporting the retention of the local breast cancer unit at Sligo General Hospital.

The former minister of state for science, technology and innovation said the Taoiseach had telephoned him on Wednesday morning to tell him that he would not be reappointed.

Mr Devins said he was interested to find out why he was one of those junior ministers losing out. “But unfortunately I did not get an answer to that,” he told Ocean FM radio in Sligo.

Pressed on whether he was angry, the Fianna Fáil TD said: “I am not a person who does anger,” but he added that it was only fair to say that there was a “certain amount of anger because I do believe I have done a good job”.

He said he would continue to press for an answer. “Whether I will get it or not is another question”.

Mr Devins said he had been lobbying for the retention of the breast cancer services in Sligo and “I have paid a heavy price”.

His remarks were branded as “hyprocritical” by a spokesman for the Save Sligo Cancer Services support group Killian McLaughlin.

He said Mr Devins had repeatedly in face-to-face meetings with the group argued that Minister for Health Mary Harney was doing the right thing. “He betrayed the people of Sligo and now Fianna Fáil has betrayed him,” said Mr McLaughlin.

Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore said yesterday that it was “increasingly doubtful” that the Government could serve out its full term because the people were “fed up”. Reviewing the events of “an exceptionally bad week” for the Government, he said the Coalition had lost support in the Dáil, received a negative assessment from the IMF, finally acknowledged that its electronic voting plan was a disaster and was now trying to get out of holding the Dublin byelections on June 5th.

“It is clear that people are fed up with this Government. It’s no wonder: this has been an exceptionally bad week for Brian Cowen and his Government, and it is now increasingly doubtful as to whether it can serve out its full term of office,” said Mr Gilmore, during a constituency visit to Kildare.

He pointed out that two Independent TDs, Michael Lowry and Jackie Healy-Rae, had absented themselves from the vote on the Labour Party private members’ motion on the cancellation of the extra Christmas payment for those on social welfare.

This article appears in the print edition of the Irish Times

From today's Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0425/1224245369987.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Mr Devins said he had been lobbying for the retention of the breast cancer services in Sligo and “I have paid a heavy price”.

Can he be so deluded as to think people will actually believe this??!!!

oh - and jimmy love, the heavy price you have paid is - oh let's see - a severance ''parachute payment'' that equates to almost one years' junior ministry salary anyway. hardly a heavy price when yer still on €100,000 a year.

what a muppet.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Word on the grapevine is that he WAS fighting for the cancer services
    BUT doing it behind closed doors(old school never shame the party in public type is jimmy apparently)
    Word also is he was fighting for the services so hard that he was a pain in Clowns hole!

How true word is, thats another matter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

What an absolute disgace, he is willing to come out and vent his fury over a demotion, yet when it counted, he could not do the same against the powers that be concerning the cancer services!!

Advertisement