Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about poor oul' Jimmy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

How knows really what JD was doing behind the scenes in FF -- at this is there any point in wondering.

Politics is termed as the art of the possible -- in reality its the art of keeping your own seat.

These are the priorities.

Re the old school politico ethics don't shame party?, p*ssing inside the tent outside, inside of vice versa', how about staying f*ck your tent, I'm camping over here, you join me?

I'm sure looking forward to JD's next pre-election promotion bumpf --

achievements ? - promises?? - the future?? What a laugh.

As regards to his future prospects, regarding the latter, maybe he should just face reality and produce a souvenior dart-board for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

One summers evening in 2002, I was heading across Hyde Bridge, to Connolly's for a snifter. All at once, I saw that the entire town was littered with A4 posters with the legend "Devins delivers Mid-Block Money". This happened to be on the eve of the general election (actually the eve of)a general election. Scores of posters on every lamp post, bus shelter and junction box. I was not impressed with this stunt. About 2 days after the election, the Champion reported the money had been allocated and then pulled within days. No clear reasoning was reported, but other headlines congratulated Jimmy Devins on his election. I decided I very much disliked this man at that time and nothing he has done since, absolutely nothing has done anything other than reinforce my dislike.

Over the first term (2002-2007) I noted a distinct lack of any profile from the "man". The two headlines that I saw were 1. About a year and a half into his "reign", he was extremely perturbed at the state of the sculpture trail in Hazlewood. 2. He was extremely perturbed at the lack of breast cancer services in Sligo General.
    Almost laughably, 5 years later, he was selling his constituents a pig in a poke about how Galway would be much better than Sligo. And the sculpture trail remained in a bad state.
    That first term resulted in a net benefit to Sligo of precisely f@*k all. However, he was re-elected.
    I've never met him. I don't want to meet him. But as a public representative, a representative of the constituency I live in, I have every right to think of him as I will, and I think he's the square root of f@*k all of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

il gatto wrote: »
    I have every right to think of him as I will, and I think he's the square root of f@*k all of a man.

Why don't you tell us what you really think.

Seriously compare sligo to willie o dea who fights tooth and nail in limerick regardless of what ff thinks. because he tops the poll dowb their with so much local support ff dublin know they cant do with out him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

'However, he was re-elected.'

I agree with you in everything you say. But the quote above is your most important point. There are a certain element in the electorate - a significant number unfortunately- who, no matter what the likes of Devins and his cronies in Fianna Fail either do or don't do, will ALWAYS ALWAYS vote for this joke of a party...NO MATTER WHAT. Strangely, the other parties don't really have the same blind loyalty as we can all see from poll trends taken and election results over the years.

Even if they (FF politicans) kicked each and every one of their fanatical arses up and down O'Connell St, they would still turn around and vote for their heros. Why in the name of God are there still 23% of them supporting FF (according to this mornings Sunday Business Posts poll) . A laughing stock of a Government whose incompetence is now recognized throughout the length and breadth of Europe.

As long as we have this element in our midst, constantly refusing to budge on unconditional party allegiances owing maybe to outdated civil war history, and not even contemplating more radical solutions, I fear we will be stuck with these gob****es for a long time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Since i posted this
    elshambo wrote: »
    Word on the grapevine is that he WAS fighting for the cancer services
    BUT doing it behind closed doors(old school never shame the party in public type is jimmy apparently)
    Word also is he was fighting for the services so hard that he was a pain in Clowns hole!

How true word is, thats another matter!

the thread has taken a turn into f**k him territory
    which makes me :D as this:
    elshambo wrote: »
    An old italian american friend of mine put it best:

F**k him; F**k him in the Ear!
    is my actual opnion of the man and all he stands for!:D

Just thought ye would want to know that word is he was apparently being a right pain in the h*le behind closed doors!?

Ive no tolerance for him or his party
    I also have no tolerance for anyone who voted FF over the last 10 years or so for the reasons of tax cuts or the rather pathetic "better the devil you know"

It was obvious to anyone who looked that we were living in a bubble and the goverment machine was set up to win FF elections rather than to actually fix anything
    With the money that you got in tax cuts and bought your German car and Japenese electronics, the goverment could have fixed the schools and hospitals and future proofed them against the bubble('s) bursting

So as much as i dislike Devins and his FF croonies for ruining the country and basically leaving me with no option but to leave

I dislke the people who voted for them 1000% more!

You knew what you were voting for!
    If you didnt know what you were voting for you didnt take your vote seriously enough! (which is worse:eek:)
    You reep what you sow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Some people thought they were part of the Golden Circle, that they'd arrived and now Fianna Fail were their party, the party of greasy palms, brown envelops, a nod and a wink. When it all went t1ts up, they soon found out that their job could go like anyone elses and there was a far tighter Golden Circle that were circling the wagons, and they weren't even near it.
    The media did a great job for FF in the run up to the last election. About a week before the voting, FG/Lab were well ahead. Suddenly, before anyone I knew said it, before any random vox pop said it, the media started saying the people wanted "a safe pair of hands for the economy". Of course this catch cry caught on, swung the polls and then the election.
    Where is that safe pair of hands now? It was unmitigated bullsh1t, propagated by FF spin doctors, spread like manure by the media and regurgitated by a population unable to see past what was a spurious argument in the first place. Safe pair of hands? Brian Cowan was the incumbant minister for finance, a solicitor. FGs proposed minister for finance was Richard Bruton, an economist.
    A fair and impartial media, one without self interest at heart, would have pointed out the relative merits of the people who were going to run our public finances. They didn't. They just kept up the mantra of "a safe pair of hands".

Jimmy Devins is unlikely to run in the next election. More likely Mark McSharry is being groomed. As Devins was getting near an efigy burning in Sligo (and a well deserved one), McSharry had a free run to criticise the government (non FF Minister of Health, more than person with the final say, FF Cowan). He said he'd fight for cancer services, this achieved nothing. Next logical step, if your party is diametrically opposed to you on an issue you feel so strongly about, is leave. He hasn't done this. He will be put forward as the people's candidate. They know Devins credibility is shot. He'll go into quasi retirement now, even though he's still our public representative, he'll feel hard done by, and just take his 80 odd grand a year, his massive expenses and his long holidays, and sit and do nothing until his term is up.
    There's also the chance he'll so hard done by that he'll turn into a firebrand, criticising the government for the shoddy way Sligo and the north west has been treated. If so, it will be out of frustration at his demotion and a failed political career, not out of any real sense of duty to Sligo. He clearly has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hear Hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Can we start a pledge that none of us will EVER vote FF? Kinda like the pioneers, except we actually mean it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The thing is we still live in an era of civil war politics, something which transfers to the voters. They would rather vote for the devil they know than then one they don't and I fear that will happen around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

il gatto wrote: »
    Some people thought they were part of the Golden Circle, that they'd arrived and now Fianna Fail were their party, the party of greasy palms, brown envelops, a nod and a wink. When it all went t1ts up, they soon found out that their job could go like anyone elses and there was a far tighter Golden Circle that were circling the wagons, and they weren't even near it.
    The media did a great job for FF in the run up to the last election. About a week before the voting, FG/Lab were well ahead. Suddenly, before anyone I knew said it, before any random vox pop said it, the media started saying the people wanted "a safe pair of hands for the economy". Of course this catch cry caught on, swung the polls and then the election.
    Where is that safe pair of hands now? It was unmitigated bullsh1t, propagated by FF spin doctors, spread like manure by the media and regurgitated by a population unable to see past what was a spurious argument in the first place. Safe pair of hands? Brian Cowan was the incumbant minister for finance, a solicitor. FGs proposed minister for finance was Richard Bruton, an economist.
    A fair and impartial media, one without self interest at heart, would have pointed out the relative merits of the people who were going to run our public finances. They didn't. They just kept up the mantra of "a safe pair of hands".

Jimmy Devins is unlikely to run in the next election. More likely Mark McSharry is being groomed. As Devins was getting near an efigy burning in Sligo (and a well deserved one), McSharry had a free run to criticise the government (non FF Minister of Health, more than person with the final say, FF Cowan). He said he'd fight for cancer services, this achieved nothing. Next logical step, if your party is diametrically opposed to you on an issue you feel so strongly about, is leave. He hasn't done this. He will be put forward as the people's candidate. They know Devins credibility is shot. He'll go into quasi retirement now, even though he's still our public representative, he'll feel hard done by, and just take his 80 odd grand a year, his massive expenses and his long holidays, and sit and do nothing until his term is up.
    There's also the chance he'll so hard done by that he'll turn into a firebrand, criticising the government for the shoddy way Sligo and the north west has been treated. If so, it will be out of frustration at his demotion and a failed political career, not out of any real sense of duty to Sligo. He clearly has none.

He has a chance to redeem himself now with the closure of Sligo's stroke unit.
    22 staff will lose their jobs and the area will lose a vital service.
    "Early diagnosis and treatment for stroke patients can mean the difference between life and death or mild and severe disability for the rest of their lives. "
    http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/stroke-services-ireland-t-38_224.html
    Let's see Jimmy protest or will he follow the Marc McSharry route "party before people".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

fmcc wrote: »
    Why don't you tell us what you really think.

Seriously compare sligo to willie o dea who fights tooth and nail in limerick regardless of what ff thinks. because he tops the poll dowb their with so much local support ff dublin know they cant do with out him.

Limerick has
    • slums like Naples
    • a crime rate like 1930s Chicago
    • the worst reputation in Ireland
    and willie o dea who fights tooth and nail !
    Oh yes, he offered to mediate between the gangs, didn't he; a Minister speaking to criminals. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bllox

The thing is we still live in an era of civil war politics,

Is a united Ireland not a part of that too?

Advertisement