Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What broadband in Navan

Options
  • 23-04-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi

Just been infromed by the employer that home broadband facility is no more available due to "fradymac fennymay impact (recession)" :mad:
    bb already disconnectd last night, so nothing at home now and i am getting mentle.

So, Which BB connection is better in navan, I am not looking for usb broadband provided by O2 or 3 as they are useless.
    I have Eircome land line at house at the moment but not too fancy on keeping it, unless there are some good BB+Phone package.
    Hence, looking for help,
    can you please let me know which package is cheap and best?
    What about NTL UPC offer? any good in navan? which one i should keep?

Preference:
    Always on bradband, good if comes with phone package and line rental but also open to setalite broadband,
    how are digiweb or metro package ?

Thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Go with BT! They unbundled the Navan Exchange! Up to 24Mb speeds! Cheap too (€56.23 EUR incl. Line Rental - Calls to any landline in Ireland (32 counties) for the price of a local call)!

Option 3 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Your choices in Navan are:-

BT LLU and Bitstream (Copper)
    Smart Bitstream (Copper)
    UPC (In some parts, mainly johnstown)
    Digiweb Metro (Wireless)
    IBB (Wireless)
    All other bitstream resellers. (Copper)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Digiweb metro -excellent for me, can use the phone too without line rental etc.

Navan head BTW

Go with BT! They unbundled the Navan Exchange! Up to 24Mb speeds! Cheap too (€56.23 EUR incl. Line Rental - Calls to any landline in Ireland (32 counties) for the price of a local call)!

Option 3 here.
    Just found another option with BT, a little bit more expensive (€67.23 EUR incl. Line Rental) which comes with the following: "Includes all local, national and UK landline calls (does not include non-geographic or UK mobile numbers)".

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

I am in johnstown area.
    Just checked the www.callcosts.ie too many offers:-)
    there is one sayign 40 a month from chorus

any suggestion or will i just pick one more suggested above?
    BTW, thanks Steffano. bladespin and crawler you guys are just great!

• Advertisement

Was ringing BT and one of my friend told me about this

no line required and €54 per month
    is this better or BT is better?

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Was ringing BT and one of my friend told me about this

no line required and €54 per month
    is this better or BT is better?
    They must have changed their prices since you took that screenshot. See below what's on their website now:

78236.JPG

Is this Digiweb "Metro" product a wireless product (i.e. like IBB)?

I'd personaly go with BT, especially since I play online games and wireless is useless for gaming...

Furthermore, their best pack (12Mb) is €60 EUR with a 50GB download cap. BT will give you 24Mb broadband for €56 EUR with no download cap. It will also be a better quality broadband than Digiweb Metro IMO...

To sum up, from a broadband only perspective, BT is by far the better product here. But then if you use your phone a lot, Digiweb might be cheaper for you... You'll have to crunch some numbers and weigh your options.

Just FYI - smart can also do :-

7Mbps Broadband, no download limits, All local and national calls & line rental for €56.51 per month. (Just to add to your options dilemma!)

Only available by calling 1850 945 549 (new website later today)

and YES I work for Smart <- disclaimer I AM BIASED!!! :D

crawler wrote: »
    Just FYI - smart can also do :-

7Mbps Broadband, no download limits, All local and national calls & line rental for €56.51 per month. (Just to add to your options dilemma!)

Only available by calling 1850 945 549 (new website later today)

and YES I work for Smart <- disclaimer I AM BIASED!!! :D
    How's Smart doing these days? Are they going to extend their network or has all the money dried up? They started so well! Pity...

Unlike a few others, we are still here! :) (thanks for asking!)

Lots of new offers etc about to happen.....keep an eye out.

• Advertisement

crawler wrote: »
    Unlike a few others, we are still here! :) (thanks for asking!)

Lots of new offers etc about to happen.....keep an eye out.
    New offers is fair enough. But any growth in area coverage?

Well - this day last week we did not have a service in Navan...

New website now live also.... www.smarttelecom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just FYI, if you're on the kilcarn exchange (i.e. all of johnstown) you won't get the 24mbps off BT, just the 7.6mbps as the kilcarn exchange hasn't been unbundled yet, and from what i was told on the phone, it's not big enough an exchange to even make it onto the BT 24mbps roadmap at this stage in time. the only exchange they unbundled was the main navan one near the train station which serves navan town, not the surrounding areas like johnstown. :(

which means, if you want anything more than 7.6mbps, ntl/upc is your only option as digiweb's metro service is not available in navan either afaik.

i'm pretty sure, if you're in jonstown, you have 3 options.

1. eircom bitstream and their resellers (up to) 7.6mbps, i.e. eircom, utv, digiweb, bt etc.
    2. digiweb metro, (up to 12mbps) but you'll need line of sight and johnstown is broken up with lots of trees, so i couldn't get it where i am, you'll need a survey off them (free) to check visibility to the mast.
    3. ntl/upc cable broadband (up to) 20mbps.

EDIT: just checked digiweb's website and they're now calling the wireless service 'metro'. i thought that was just supposed to be the adsl2 and telly service in dublin that was called metro, or am i thinking of something else?

the only downside i've got with having ntl is they don't do a phone bundle with uk landline calls included and with family in the UK, it gets expensive to call them, so i have to use jajah to get free calls instead which means logging onto the pc to initiate the call which is a bit of a pain.

confusion, more confusion:-)

Dilemema 1) if i go with Digiweb (Metro-Wireless) €39.95, i have to have 12 month contract, 12 MB,
    I had filled online query on friday and got a call back on friday, she told me that they will come on monday to check and only give if this is coming 12MB.
    She told me they will charge €99 installation, and install somethign on my roof,
    but meanwhile if BT upgrade to 24MB at kilcarn exchange, than i will have to wait.

Digiweb charge 15 extra for a phone service which i am trying to get,
    no line rental
    more confusion!
    anyway, 2-3 more mails from genius like you guys will help a lot!

cheers

Advertisement