Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grating sound from front wheel when I touch the brakes

Options
  • 23-04-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This has become quite loud in recent days. I'm driving along and need to touch the brakes, to slow down or else stop. As soon as the revs from the engine die down I can hear this awful grating sound like a sword being sharpened on a stone disc and when I release the brakes, the grating stops. I've looked at the wheel and can't see anything, though there's definitely something amiss. Question, is this potentially dangerous?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds like you need new pads. The longer you leave it, the more likely your discs will be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

As anan1 said probably need pads. Check and see though in case its just a pebble caught between pad and disc or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Yep definately new pads it sounds like.

My brakes speal a bit when I brake, is that a pad replacement too?

Edit: Sorry, what the above fellas said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

My brakes speal a bit when I brake, is that a pad replacement too?

Not necessarily...it might be worth getting them checked out anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 talkFIAT.net

have a look at the wear on both the pads and discs!! They may needed to be replaced or maybe just cleaned!! Discs build up rust if not driven!

• Advertisement
Advertisement