Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

• 23-04-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I don't think this is premature, cos there's been rumblings lately (certainly at United) about a few potential moves in and out.

The most likely one unfortunately seems to be that Carlos Tevez is on the lookout for a new club, and has claimed to have offers from Spanish and English teams :(

Besides him, I can't think of any United players who would leave this summer. It's possible that some of the youngsters go out on loan, but that's not likely to be the likes of Macheda, Welbeck, Gibson, etc. There's also always the possibility of Ronaldo going to Real Madrid this summer, ya never know.

There's a few rumours of incoming players though.....
    Ferguson is also watching 16-year-old Real Valladolid centre-back Victor Mongil, after being told the defender is one for the future. (Daily Mirror)
    Manchester United will keep a keen eye on Porto ace Lisandro Lopez after it emerged he is ready to move to England. Lopez impressed Sir Alex Ferguson during Porto's recent Champions League clashes and the forward is also being tracked by Barcelona.The Argentine has scored 12 goals for Jesualdo Ferreira's men this season and with doubts over the hefty price tag needed to make Carlos Tevez's move to Old Trafford permanent, Lopez represents a cut-price alternative.

His deal with Porto expires in 2010 but Lopez will not renew it because he wants a new start.

"There is no possibility of a renewal at Porto," the 26-year-old's agent Fernando Hidalgo said.

"It is time for new challenges and we have already had contact with a Spanish team and an English team."
    http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/18345/United_linked_with_Porto_ace.aspx
    Sir Alex Ferguson is signing a Brazilian teenager – Corinthians centre-half Jose Rodolfo Pires Ribeiro Dodo.

Fergie’s South American contacts tipped him off about the 17-year-old, who is set to follow compatriots Rafael and Fabio Da Silva to Manchester United.

Dodo has starred for Brazil in the South American Under-17 championships, helping his country to two clean sheets so far.

The tall and skilful left-footer is strong in the air and talented on the ball, likened to Rio Ferdinand by those who have seen him come through the ranks.

Sources say he has an EC passport through his Portuguese background.

United will pay Corinthians a small fee at first but the deal could be worth around £5m if he makes the grade.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/04/22/manchester-united-swoop-for-brazilian-teenager-dodo-115875-21298685/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sulley Muntari to spurs and bent to Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Red Issue are tipping Evra to be on his way to Barcelona. Stunning signing for Barca if true, madness from United if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I think a lot will depend on if Man City and Chelsea go on a mad spending spree this Summer. If they do i expect a few surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Red Issue are tipping Evra to be on his way to Barcelona. Stunning signing for Barca if true, madness from United if true.

Wow.

But then again.

He hasn't exactly been himself lately, so maybe Ferguson is letting him go?

Chelsea will have to sell to buy so can't imagine it being overly large

City: new back four including a left back that can defend plus Santa Cruz

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Wow.

But then again.

He hasn't exactly been himself lately, so maybe Ferguson is letting him go?

while he hasn't been himself, selling him would be crazy.

1. Fabio's legs appear to be made of glass.
    2. We don't actually know how he will adapt to playing in the premiership on a regular basis.
    3. We probably wouldn't get more than 8 million or so for Evra (we suck at selling) so I see no monetary reason to let him go.
    4. If we did let him go, we would have to sign another left back as we actually only have himself and Fabio that play there (though O'Shea can do a job).

I'd be looking at keeping Evra for at least one more season so we can get a better idea on Fabio, and even at that I would hate to see him go then either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

3. We probably wouldn't get more than 8 million or so for Evra (we suck at selling) so I see no monetary reason to let him go.

:confused: You'd get at least double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The most worrying part about that Evra story is that I can see it happening.

Evra's achieved everything there is to achieve here, and with Fabio coming through the ranks, maybe he sees this as his last chance to play for another top European club. Also, Fergie could have told him that he'll be playing less games next year and give Fabio more game time.

Is there an online link to that story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ancelotti to Chelsea appears to be nailed on and with that move will change both who Milan and Chelsea go for in the summer so expect some changes in those two teams

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: You'd get at least double.

what was it, 20million for Beckham, which Madrid recouped in about an hour after signing him, through shirt sales, and 10million for Ruud van Nistlerooy? United are terrible at getting value for the players they sell, I would think Evra is worth more than 8million, but I would be surprised to see us get it to be honest.

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »
    The most worrying part about that Evra story is that I can see it happening.

Evra's achieved everything there is to achieve here, and with Fabio coming through the ranks, maybe he sees this as his last chance to play for another top European club. Also, Fergie could have told him that he'll be playing less games next year and give Fabio more game time.

Is there an online link to that story?

As I say, it is Red Issue tipping it, though i think Barcelona were linked fairly recently with himself and Clichy. There is probably a thread on the Red Issue forum, but I have never been able to register on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Not sure how much we (liverpool) will have in the summer so its hard to say.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Gareth Barry finally complete his move either. Hes a year left on his contract so we should pick him up for around 10 million but for gods sake dont go selling alonso!Actually really hope we sign Barry this season as lucas just isnt good enough at the minute.

Would love to see us sign Glen Johnson from portsmouth as hed be competition for arbeloa and he has shown recently hes well able to attack as well so good right wing material.

Weve been linked with moves for Santa Cruz and Tevez aswell. Would love to see either but Tevez would give us more versatility and would be able to play right wing aswell.

Stewart Downing would be a great bargin buy as Boro are going down.

Regards selling we dont have as much to sell this year as we did last year. Voronin will go but apart from that cant really see us selling anyone. Babel maybe but hes still got potential and the 11 million spent on him wouldnt be recouped.

Players linked with leaving Agger/Alonso would be a disaster as they are quality. Itl be very interesting this summer at Anfield I think.

EDIT: Forgot Dosser hel be sold surely. Half the price aswell but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Surely, surely can't be true?

Fabio although very promising, can he handle being first choice left back week in and week out, maybe in a few years but next season :confused:

Getting rid of him and Tevez would be poor poor form really, unless we see some mega star bought :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tevez, Santa Cruz to City.

Dunne to Sunderland (or maybe Ipswich now :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

joe123 wrote: »

Weve been linked with moves for Santa Cruz and Tevez aswell. Would love to see either but Tevez would give us more versatility and would be able to play right wing aswell.

Tevez aint that great on the wings now to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Smegball wrote: »
    Tevez aint that great on the wings now to be fair.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

keane2097 wrote: »
    FYP

wouldnt say that

he was superb last season for us

just the berba signing has ****ed up the dynamics of the team

FYP

If played regularly, and shown some faith I reckon we could see the same Tevez we saw last season. I have no doubt his lack of form this season is down, at least in part, to the lack of regular first team football and that no matter what he does, he won't keep his place.

After bagging 3 against Blackburn he was dropped to the bench for the next two games, for instance, that can't help anyone get in the groove. I don't think he helped his cause be failing to perform when he did get a run of games though, such as when Rooney was out for 6 games or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FYP

Tevez is an absolutely smashing player who has been under utilised by United this year, yet his goals to game ratio is still very good.

Hopefully Fergie has your train of thought and we nip in.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tevez is an absolutely smashing player who has been under utilised by United this year, yet his goals to game ratio is still very good.

Hopefully Fergie has your train of thought and we nip in.

I think he'd do great at a club like city where he'd be one of the main men.

His poor skills in terms of control, passing and shooting mean he's not good enough for the very top echelon where United compete however imo.

• Advertisement

I reckon tevez would do a great job at spurs I'd love to see him play for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hopefully Liverpool will have ****loads to spend in the summer.

Glen Johnson/Rafinha or some attacking right back
    Gareth Barry/Another CM
    A winger

I think Voronin, Degen, Dossena will leave. Possibly Babel. If Babel leaves we'll need another wide player who can also play up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Glen Johnson was linked with Liverpool in January and he chose to sign a new 5 year contract with Pompey so I doubt he'll be going anywhere. I reckon Lucas, Dossena, Maybe Babel are gone. I have absolutely no idea who's gonna be coming in. We were linked with Zarate but it looks like Lazio are gonna pay 25 million for him now. Tevez, Santa Cruz, David Silva are all long shots

EDIT: I forgot Barry :) . Barry will probably make the move this year. Wouldn't really consider it a major signing though. A good one, but not major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Very little comment on here from my fellow gooners which is hardly suprising given Le Profs track record although hopefully the Nasri and Arshavin signings are a sign that he is willing to change tact.

BTW whoever said Downing would be a good signing' seriously the chap hasnt kicked a ball all season he has been absolutely muck and when he's club needed him most he has been nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'll be absolutely GUTTED if we lose Toure to Arsenal, he may not be the best DMF in the world, but he is the best one that fits the Barcelona mould.

We are getting Henrique back from his loan spell in the Bundesliga, so that's another CB that adds to defensive cover. I would love Ribery but he really isn't a necessity... Zhirkov or a top class LB would complete our squad though, so here's hoping. No Fabregas please, Xavi and Iniesta are more than adequate... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

His poor skills in terms of control, passing and shooting mean he's not good enough for the very top echelon where United compete however imo.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Utd were a better team with him in it last year. And won the European Cup & Premier League with him playing a major part in both. You can't get a higher level than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Very little comment on here from my fellow gooners which is hardly suprising given Le Profs track record although hopefully the Nasri and Arshavin signings are a sign that he is willing to change tact.

BTW whoever said Downing would be a good signing' seriously the chap hasnt kicked a ball all season he has been absolutely muck and when he's club needed him most he has been nowhere to be seen.

Never seen such tripe written about stuart downing. You clearly watch very little football that doesnt involve arsenal. Downing is a great young player in a brutal team. In a better team he would shine. He would be a great addition to any team in the prem imo. He was the first name from capellos lips when asked who had impressed him the most shortly into his england tenure. Id sign him in a heartbeat if i was prem manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We haven't really been linked with anyone. Just the usual of AC/Barca/Real etc being linked with all our players.
    eZe^ wrote: »
    I'll be absolutely GUTTED if we lose Toure to Arsenal, he may not be the best DMF in the world, but he is the best one that fits the Barcelona mould.

Toure won't leave for Arsenal. As much as it hurts to say it, that ship has sailed. We had our chance, and we fcuked up

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

Utd were a better team with him in it last year. And won the European Cup & Premier League with him playing a major part in both. You can't get a higher level than that.

The standard was lower last year tbh.

• Advertisement

There's absolutely no chance of Lucas leaving in the summer.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Never seen such tripe written about stuart downing. You clearly watch very little football that doesnt involve arsenal. Downing is a great young player in a brutal team. In a better team he would shine. He would be a great addition to any team in the prem imo. He was the first name from capellos lips when asked who had impressed him the most shortly into his england tenure. Id sign him in a heartbeat if i was prem manager.

Well if capello said it then it must be true :rolleyes: How many goals has he scored this season? Assists?

You seem to be basing your opinion solely on past performances and the word of someone else, I have seen him plenty this season, actually no i rephrase that Ive seen Boro playing and he has been only noticeable by he's absesnse in the majority a big fish in a small pond is what he was and now well hes just a fish in a sinking pond

There's absolutely no chance of Lucas leaving in the summer.

I agree, based on the supply and demand principle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Well if capello said it then it must be true :rolleyes: How many goals has he scored this season? Assists?

You seem to be basing your opinion solely on past performances and the word of someone else, I have seen him plenty this season, actually no i rephrase that Ive seen Boro playing and he has been only noticeable by he's absesnse in the majority a big fish in a small pond is what he was and now well hes just a fish in a sinking pond

Aye, i suppose your right, what would capello know?

"You seem to be basing your opinion solely on past performances"

Yes, im being totally ridiculous, i should have considered his future performances aswell :o:rolleyes:

You seem to be basing your opinion solely on past performances

As opposed to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Arsenal have spent a lot of their budget on Arshavin and they will have 1 big signing which will be Ireland from Man City 4 around 17 million.
    Manchester United will bring in Diego from Bremen for a fee of around 25million plus Nani on a season long loan.
    Chelsea will miss out on Villa but will get Yuri Zhirkov for around 15 mil.
    Liverpool will get Aguero for around 20 mill plus Babel this one is for certain.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Arsenal have spent a lot of their budget on Arshavin and they will have 1 big signing which will be Ireland from Man City 4 around 17 million.
    Manchester United will bring in Diego from Bremen for a fee of around 25million plus Nani on a season long loan.

Liverpool will get Aguero for around 20 mill plus Babel this one is for certain.

The only probable one

what are you basing that on?? I would love Aguero at Liverpool. Although his physical size may be a problem in the EPL

lint316 wrote: »
    what are you basing that on?? I would love Aguero at Liverpool. Although his physical size may be a problem in the EPL

As the header of my post said, from a UK football rumours website.

Aguero would be an amazing signing for Liverpool or anyone, but you have to think he'll cost more than 20m plus Babel

As the header of my post said, from a UK football rumours website.

Can you link to an article that says this is for certain ?

• Advertisement

Aguero would be an amazing signing for Liverpool or anyone, but you have to think he'll cost more than 20m plus Babel
    Lucas too maybe. He's already been linked with Athletico

How does that make it for certain?

Frisbee wrote: »

By the power of wishful thinking duh...

Frisbee wrote: »

Frisbee, the title of the thread is rumour. The website is call football rumours. Maybe there is a hint in the titles of them. I am sorry I cut and pasted the details from the website. I should have taken out the for certain piece.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

For Villa the strongest link ive seen is to Standard Lieges Defour who is (or seems to be) exactley what we need, a creative attacking midfielder, and ofcourse we are going to be linked to every CB going due to Laursen either being out for up to 9 more months or retiring altogether.

Meanwhile Barry to Liverpool for around 10m unfortunatley does seem a strong possibility imo which means Villa might have to replace their captain and vice-captain before any improvements are made to Villa's notoriously small squad. Hope Randy continues financing MON like last Summer cos we will need it in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd be very surprised if Liverpool paid 10million for someone with 1 year left in their contract, expecially when the manager has pretty much already conceded they wont be able to keep him.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Aye, i suppose your right, what would capello know?

"You seem to be basing your opinion solely on past performances"

Yes, im being totally ridiculous, i should have considered his future performances aswell :o:rolleyes:
    As opposed to what?

LOL, that was supposed to read ''past seasons performances'' :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Trippie wrote: »
    Ancelotti to Chelsea appears to be nailed on and with that move will change both who Milan and Chelsea go for in the summer so expect some changes in those two teams

It won't happen this year and it wouldn't alter Milans spending at all, Carleto has no real say in transfers. He identifies positions which need strenghtening and Galliani works from there, hence all the crap signings like Flavalli and Pancarro in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Two more names to throw into the mix - both on Bosman's this summer

Michael Owen - available on a free in the summer
    Jermaine Pennant - available on a free in the summer

Can't think of any other Bosmans in the PL at the moment.

If Newcastle go down, a distinct possibility of some of their players moving, especially given the wages they are on. I could see Boro/WBA/Hull and even Blackburn retaining the vast majority of their squads if they go down.

Portsmouth and West Ham both rumoured to have financial difficulties so could be open to offers - Given West Ham is being run by a consortium of banks and Portsmouth was supposedly for sale for £35m I can't see them turning down decent cash for players.

Man City even if they don't buy any players (massively unlikely) have a very large squad and there has been a fair bit of talk of trimming that - expect something similiar at Spurs especially with wheeler-dealer 'Arry in action.

Villa could really do with improving their squad if they want to challenge for fourth/compete in Europe.

Everton might not have wads of cash but expect Moyes to pluck a player or two out of somewhere.

It could well be that United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are among the quieter clubs in the transfer market especially in terms of numbers of actual players.

Also given the decrease in the STG/EUR exchange rate overseas players have become a bit more expensive - could make a difference especially at the top-end of the market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement