Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'm sure Barca could shoehorn Fabregas in alright if they wanted to, after all football is all about evolution and it would be a nice rebuke to Perez & Madrid hogging all the recent headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Barca are also in for Villa! They are talking with Valencia and that the decision will be the players to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mike65 wrote: »
    Looks like Barca are also in for Villa! They are talking with Valencia and that the decision will be the players to make.

link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Headshot wrote: »
    link ?

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5379316,00.html

Thats where i saw it anyway

• Advertisement

so it might mean eto'o is going

interesting from a utd point of view

Yeah etoo is a player i wouldnt mind seeing at united, but barca have also claimed that they dont want to get rid of etoo, surely he is too good to sit on a clubs bench though, bearing in mind tevez has been on our bench all season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Eto'o in the PL would scare the fúck out of me, he would score goals for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i have serious doubts if eto'o would cut it in the PL to be honest.

Mr Alan wrote: »

You're claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Am I wrong in saying that after Madrid buy up everyone there seems to be a lack of targets out there?

After Ribery, Silva, Villa as main targets, who seem to be taken up by Madrid and Barca, it seems that there's no genuine talent out there available for reasonable prices. Whats the story with Roma, are they not losing players due to missing out on CL?

PHB wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying that after Madrid buy up everyone there seems to be a lack of targets out there?

At the rate they're buying players there'll be a shortage of team buses in Spain in anyways.

?
    Whats the story with Roma, are they not losing players due to missing out on CL?

heard they could be loosing a few players ,a few stories about de Rossi etc

well, he misses a lot of chances. He'd come across less of these chances in the PL than he does in La Liga and he also seems to struggle when he comes up against better more physical defences. I'm not sure like, maybe i'm wrong, just why i was a little worried when we were linked wit him the other day and in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if he did run amock, but i think he'd have to up his game.

To be fair he came up against the most physical defence in the premiership in the champions league final and it didnt stop him putting the ball into our net :(:(

tevez representatives will start talks with manchester utd,city,liverpool and chelsea tomorrow

source ssn

I reckon city are the favourites,chelsea might be the dark horse

reckon United will sign him myself. Would love it if we did, but don't think we will.

I either want him to stay or go to city, if he goes to pool ill cry :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

To be honest I didnt want Tevez at the start of the summer but now hes looking like our best bet of a really big signing. Could see the money from city and Chelsea swaying him though. Or just staying with United.

We have mascherano though...old buddy,old pal! so who knows!

EDIT: Just seen Barca are in talks with Villa now....I thought hed signed for Madrid??

joe123 wrote: »
    To be honest I didnt want Tevez at the start of the summer but now hes looking like our best bet of a really big signing. Could see the money from city and Chelsea swaying him though. Or just staying with United.

We have mascherano though...old buddy,old pal! so who knows!

EDIT: Just seen Barca are in talks with Villa now....I thought hed signed for Madrid??

Apparently Valencia have left it up to villa himself to decide where he goes:

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5379316,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

well, he misses a lot of chances. He'd come across less of these chances in the PL than he does in La Liga and he also seems to struggle when he comes up against better more physical defences. I'm not sure like, maybe i'm wrong, just why i was a little worried when we were linked wit him the other day and in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if he did run amock, but i think he'd have to up his game.

I think Etoo's sheer pace alone would scare the ****e out of most PL defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Smegball wrote: »
    I think Etoo's sheer pace alone would scare the ****e out of most PL defences.

not really. plenty of fast players in the prem.

I'd agree with the argument that he could struggle. He won't have Xavi or Iniesta for the near constant supply of through-balls, or Messi to create space for him. Not to mention the chances he will get will be much scrappier. It'll be a culture shock to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

deco and carvalho to inter?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5381455,00.html

crouch to Man City according to Manchester Evening News.

i also don't get all these rumours of Richard Dunne to Sunderland. why would he? unless he's bee stripped of the captaincy and has been told he's leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SlickRic wrote: »
    i also don't get all these rumours of Richard Dunne to Sunderland. why would he? unless he's bee stripped of the captaincy and has been told he's leaving?

Unconfirmed (i.e. probably bollox) rumours that Dunne will be allowed to leave as Barry has been promised the captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unconfirmed (i.e. probably bollox) rumours that Dunne will be allowed to leave as Barry has been promised the captaincy.

I know you were not his biggest fan at times, and rightly so last season, but do you want to see him go?

It depends on who they get to replace ,him obviously, or do you think he still has a place in the team, as captain?

Anymore rumours about Santa Cruz? i think Blackburn might have missed the boat in terms of a big pay day for him last January, considering he still isn't fit and he has no form. It still should be about 15 million if he does move on.

As a Blackburn fan id like to see him leave, if it meant we had to hang on to Derbyshire because of it. Rumours are that his move to Olympiakos is on hold until Santa Cruz' future is ironed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Report on who's for sale from Real and what they cost

Robben €36.55m
    Wesley Sneijder €27m
    Huntelaar €20m
    Diarra €20m
    Van Nistelrooy €18m
    Drenthe €14m
    van der Vaart €13m
    Heinze €11.78m
    Saviola Free

Potentially VDV looks like the greatest bargain there, if he is sold for what about what he cost. Will be interesting to see how much Real do get for those they manage to sell. Can see them taking a hefty loss on Van Nistrelrooy, Heinze and Drenthe, especially if they are looking for wages similar to what they are reported to be on below.
    Arjen Robben and Ruud van Nistelrooy made available by Real Madrid
    • Spanish club has to sell to keep buying galácticos
    • Renewed bid for Valencia's David Villa likely
    Sid Lowe in Madrid
    The Guardian, Tuesday 16 June 2009

Real Madrid have contacted several *Premier League clubs with a list of nine players they are keen to offload as they desperately seek to recover some of the £150m they spent on Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka. Arjen Robben and Ruud van Nistelrooy are among those for sale.

A fax has been sent from the Bernabéu that includes the names of the club's Dutch players, as well as the former Manchester United full-back Gabriel Heinze. Robben and Van Nistelrooy are joined by their compatriots Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart and Royston Drenthe. The defensive midfielder Mahamadou Diarra and the striker Javier Saviola have also been made available.

Madrid concluded two huge transfers in four days for Kaka and Ronaldo but their new president, Florentino Pérez, is determined to continue spending. He wants to make a renewed bid for David Villa after negotiations broke down at the last minute with Valencia, whose president, Manuel Llorente, is furious at Madrid's approach. Valencia want €45m (£38m) for the striker but Madrid have so far refused to meet the valuation.

That late twist appeared to offer Chelsea and United a glimmer of hope in their *pursuit of the Spain international although a Barcelona director has admitted they, too, are in talks with Villa.

Pérez has announced that he had to "do in one year what we would normally do in three" and he is determined to sign a left-back, central defender and central midfielder. Madrid also want to sign a striker and will turn their attention to Diego Forlán should they fail to sign Villa. Although Madrid have appeared to boast limitless resources over the past week, the Spanish club are aware that they have to sell in order to continue buying.

Madrid have set themselves a target of €100m of incoming transfer fees to help fund a total outlay that could reach €300m. That would represent a significant loss on players who cost them more than €160m but the figure still appears optimistic.

The shift in the euro means that a €10m player will now cost an English club about £8.5m, when a little over a year ago the figure was closer to £6m. The vast majority of the players have also seen their value drop at Madrid. Van Nistelrooy is one of the few to have enhanced his reputation but he has been injured for eight months and will be 33 in two weeks' time. He and Huntelaar are among Tottenham's targets.

Although Robben has expressed his desire to stay at the Bernabéu, Madrid are especially determined to sell him because they consider him one of the few players who can command a huge fee, alongside Sneijder, who signed for €25.5m from Ajax in 2007. Robben is not helped by his status as a marquee signing and electoral promise of the former president Ramón Calderón – the only promise he delivered on. Privately, however, Madrid doubt their chances of recovering the €36m he cost from Chelsea.

Madrid remain determined to sell players, even if they do not recuperate their original fees, and would also consider loans. Together, Sneijder, Drenthe, Robben and Van Nistelrooy account for almost €10m a year in wages, while Diarra is on €2.8m, Saviola €2.5m and Heinze €2m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/16/real-madrid-player-clearout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You could do worse than take a chance on Robben.

Pool have been linked with Saviola a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

One of the stranger one's but Chelsea have nearly completed the signing of Daniel Sturridge from Man City (Daily Express)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ShooterSF wrote: »
    One of the stranger one's but Chelsea have nearly completed the signing of Daniel Sturridge from Man City (Daily Express)

would this not be motivated by the home grown quota thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you have plenty of space in the treatment room and don't mind paying a player huge wages for 15 - 20 games a season (during which he will have at least one niggle per game). And be prepared to get about two thirds through the season before he starts thinking he should be playing at a "bigger club".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He is class when he's fit. If the price wasn't huge i suppose.
    Also there seems to be very few top class wingers around who are willing to play in england, he might be alright with that.
    His attitude seems to be a problem, i wonder how bad it actually is?

How has M. Diarra got on this season anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That lad seems to be more concerned with wages than game time imo. He would do better to get himself playing regularly at a smaller club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Pro. F wrote: »
    How has M. Diarra got on this season anybody?

I believe he was injured for the second half of the season. That is why the bought the other Diarra in Jan.

• Advertisement

sagna interested in madrid for 20m.

it's the sun now so...

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg?v=0

I know you were not his biggest fan at times, and rightly so last season, but do you want to see him go?

Not unless we get someone who is significantly better, i.e. not at the expense of the likes of Kolo Toure. He still has plenty to offer to club at 29/30 years of age once he has some sort of consistency about him.
    It depends on who they get to replace ,him obviously, or do you think he still has a place in the team, as captain?

The captaincy complicates things. If he wasn't the skipper he could fight for his place like everyone but cause of it he pretty much has to play every game. Not sure if we can afford that in order to progress.
    Anymore rumours about Santa Cruz? i think Blackburn might have missed the boat in terms of a big pay day for him last January, considering he still isn't fit and he has no form. It still should be about 15 million if he does move on.

As a Blackburn fan id like to see him leave, if it meant we had to hang on to Derbyshire because of it. Rumours are that his move to Olympiakos is on hold until Santa Cruz' future is ironed out.

Plenty of RSC rumours doing the rounds but it's hard to know what's going on really. A lot of City fans don't want him but personally I'd be happy once he passes a very thorough medical. He would add a new dimension to our goal-shy attack.

Pfft, I posted that about 2 weeks ago! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd happily take Robben and Sneijder on the cheap. Badly need a midfield playmaker at United and a winger (albeit an injury prone one).

Rumours that Nikola Zigic will sign for us on a one year loan deal. Not happy about that considering he has a shite touch for a big man.

breaking news everton bid 5m for sheffield utd full back kyle naughton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sticking there hand in to see if they pull out another Jagielka or Lescott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Stephen Kelly has joined Fulham from Birmingham City.
    Nice low key one.

JPA wrote: »
    Stephen Kelly has joined Fulham from Birmingham City.
    Nice low key one.
    Surprised he got a move to another prem team:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read that Kelly wanted assurances from Stoke that he'd get first team opportunities and when he didn't get them he decided to leave. I think he'll find it even tougher to get into Fulham's first team though. I hope the move works out well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Surprised he got a move to another prem team:confused:

he was pretty decent in the prem with Brum last time i guess though, only outfield player to play every minute of every game for any prem team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Stephen Kelly is a good player. I hope he does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

orourkeda wrote: »
    Stephen Kelly is a good player. I hope he does well.

ya, decent player. i'd play him week in-week out in most teams in the PL apart from the top 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I read that Kelly wanted assurances from Stoke that he'd get first team opportunities and when he didn't get them he decided to leave. I think he'll find it even tougher to get into Fulham's first team though. I hope the move works out well for him.

Well he's got another solid unspectacular RB in Aaron Hughes in front of him now. He probably just wanted out of the cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

JPA wrote: »
    Well he's got another solid unspectacular RB in Aaron Hughes in front of him now. He probably just wanted out of the cesspit.

Don't forget John Paintsil too:p

well done stephen kelly.

it can only be good for the irish team as long as he's playing week in week out, which isn't guaranteed of course..

• Advertisement
Advertisement