Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

SlickRic wrote: »
    well done stephen kelly.

it can only be good for the irish team as long as he's playing week in week out, which isn't guaranteed of course..
    Paintsil had a fairly good season in what was probably the best defence outside the top 4, so he is certainly not guaranteed a starting spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fairly suprised at that Stpehen Kelly transfer.
    No guarantee he'll get into the Fulham team and he would have been a starter at Brum for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

This is funny. From football365:
    Keen readers of The Daily Mirror's Football Spy section may recall reading this on June 10:

'Middlesbrough have been linked with a move for teenage Serbian striker Rajko Purovic.

'The 18-year-old's representatives claim talks are to take place between his current club, FK Banat Zrenjanin and the Teessiders over a possible move.'

Being keen tabloid hounds, we remember reading the story and thinking 'Well, never heard of him', but passed such ignorance off as one of the many alarming gaps in our knowledge.

However, we felt rather better when chief Football Spy and the man with the worst sinuses in Wapping announced in his video blog:

"We've been asked to settle a bizarre debate about a player called Rajko Purovic. A number of TV stations reported last week that Middlesbrough were in talks with his club to buy him, but a lot of our eastern European viewers were sceptical to say the least."

And although we're slightly sceptical that the Football Spy video blog has any eastern European viewers, they did have good cause to be suspicious, because Rajko Purovic does not exist.

He's a phantom, a spirit, a figment of someone's imagination. He is not real. He has been made up. He is a non-person. Obviously, spending a lot of money on invisible talent has not been a problem for Boro before, but one wonders how such an august journal was fooled so.

Darren then goes on to read out an e-mail from a man purporting to be a Serbian journalist, who assures us that this is indeed a merking, and then says 'I wonder who put this information in the press?'

Lewis ignores the obvious answer (that being 'It was the Mirror') and follows it up with the admission: "Indeed someone has really been had it would appear."

Someone has been had? Err, yes - it was you Darren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reading on another site that Macini and Jimminez are joining West Ham on loan for the season. Fantastic deal for them if it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Marcus Hahnemann gone to Wolves

Dave! wrote: »
    Marcus Hahnemann gone to Wolves

decent keeper. Thought the keeper Wolves had was highly rated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hennessy is a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

According to Skysports, Blackburn are going for De la Pena, the little buddha. Big fan of his, would be a good move imo, although he is getting on a bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Blackburn and Olympiakos have agreed a fee for Derbyshire,

Am really pissed off at this as a Blackburn fan,

I'd have him there ahead of McCarthy & Roberts, i hope Sam isn't selling him to raise money to buy more guys over the age of 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Blackburn and Olympiakos have agreed a fee for Derbyshire,

Am really pissed off at this as a Blackburn fan,

I'd have him there ahead of McCarthy & Roberts, i hope Sam isn't selling him to raise money to buy more guys over the age of 30.

christ im surprised at that! Especially with RSC most likely leaving. Derbyshire looks a great prospect developing very well. Any idea what the fee is?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    christ im surprised at that! Derbyshire looks a great prospect developing very well. Any idea what the fee is?

Around the £3 million mark i think, a bargain,

massive profit for Blackburn as they picked him up from a local side for next to nothing, but it will be impossible to replace him for £3 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lyon's Juninho has joined Qatar League champions Al Gharafa. Guess we won't see those spectacular free kicks in the CL anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    According to Skysports, Blackburn are going for De la Pena, the little buddha. Big fan of his, would be a good move imo, although he is getting on a bit..

Thats hardly the same De Le Pena that played for Barca in the 90s and Espanyol recently is it? He must be at least mid 30s now surely

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats hardly the same De Le Pena that played for Barca in the 90s and Espanyol recently is it? He must be at least mid 30s now surely

it's Ivan yep - he's 33 but they need a young whiper snapper to take over from old man Tugay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

man utd in for glen johnson-reports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mink_man wrote: »
    man utd in for glen johnson-reports

where? it's a non-story i'd guess.

he'd be very very stupid to even contemplate it.

and utd don't need him anway...Raf, Brown and JOS.

Yeah, Johnson's a good player, but RB is not our concern tbh. O'Shea did well this season, Brown was class the previous season, and Rafael looks a good prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

does anyone else think united should go in for Robben? I know hes ex chelski, but he's gonna be available at a knockdown price if the rumours about him not being registered at madrid this year are through. He'd be a better replacement for Ronaldo than Valencia will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Max Power1 wrote: »
    does anyone else think united should go in for Robben? I know hes ex chelski, but he's gonna be available at a knockdown price if the rumours about him not being registered at madrid this year are through. He'd be a better replacement for Ronaldo than Valencia will be.

they were daft not to stump up the money to prevent Chelsea signing him in the first place. Ridiculous really that they wouldn't pay the extra 4 mil or whatever to match Chelsea's bid after lining him up so long.

He's the type of player they need on the left though, they really should be looking at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chelsea could be set to wreck Liverpool's hopes of signing Glen Johnson with Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie saying: "Glen has got permission to speak to two clubs"

When did Glen Johnson become this highly rated? What is going on?
    And what about Bosingwa. He's excellent no? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JPA wrote: »
    When did Glen Johnson become this highly rated? What is going on?
    And what about Bosingwa. He's excellent no? :confused:

He scored a cracker for Pompey and got 4 assists against Kazakhstan.

Boom, your worth 12 million more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Think it's madness by chelsea to go for johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I do too,

more madness selling boswinga to Bayern, unless they pull off Ribery somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is Lahm still at Bayern or is he going somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you'd imagine the only way they'd sell Bosingwa is if it were to open the door for a Ribery deal. they aren't that stupid really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Is Lahm still at Bayern or is he going somewhere?

He's still there, Juve were sniffing around him about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

you'd imagine the only way they'd sell Bosingwa is if it were to open the door for a Ribery deal. they aren't that stupid really.

Yeah that probably is the reason and then their getting Glen Johnson in to replace him. The problem is, Ribery has said he doesn't want to go to England because the weather is the same as Germany and he wants to go somewhere sunny like Spain! I bet you it'll be like David Villa and Real will have him and then Barca will steal him at the last minute! Should be an interesting transfer window! Can't wait to see what happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Only 10 weeks left before the transfer window closes.:D

On RSC - the key question is whether it is 08/09 (23 goals in 43 games) or 07/08 (6 goals in 27 games) version RSC that turns up?

With Derbyshire and RSC both leaving Rovers it leaves them looking fvery light up front at the moment? More appearances for Samba as centre-forward on the cards?

On RSC - the key question is whether it is 08/09 (23 goals in 43 games) or 07/08 (6 goals in 27 games) version RSC that turns up?

With Derbyshire and RSC both leaving Rovers it leaves them looking fvery light up front at the moment? More appearances for Samba as centre-forward on the cards?

Look at his career - last seasons version is more likely.

• Advertisement

Look at his career - last seasons version is more likely.

Yeah - really think he could be a one-season wonder.

Turns 28 in August - only one season where he got into double figures.

£18m does look like paying over the odds.

Yeah - really think he could be a one-season wonder.

Turns 28 in August - only one season where he got into double figures.

£18m does look like paying over the odds.

still though, that one season was a season played under Hughes, maybe Hughes knows how to get the best out of him. Also, Blackburn had problems in general last season and Bentley was a big loss for them. Maybe if Hughes and Bentley had stayed last summer both Blackburn and RSC would have done better.

still though, that one season was a season played under Hughes, maybe Hughes knows how to get the best out of him. Also, Blackburn had problems in general last season and Bentley was a big loss for them. Maybe if Hughes and Bentley had stayed last summer both Blackburn and RSC would have done better.

Valid points but I'm still in the very dubious camp.

Might not be an issue as he could be warming the bench for spells if City do land Tevez/Eto'o/Ribery/Villa.

I think this probably pushes the cost of Man City squad close to the £200m mark.
    Not quite Real Madrid territory but getting close to Chelsea and Utd.

Even City wouldn't spend £18 million on a bench warmer.
    They're not even in Europe and at that age? I can't see it happening unless the stories of Tevez and Eto'o are rubbish.

Even City wouldn't spend £18 million on a bench warmer.
    They're not even in Europe and at that age? I can't see it happening unless the stories of Tevez and Eto'o are rubbish.

Well they did pay £19m for Jo and they did pay £16m for DeJong in January when he had a £1m release clause in the summer, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well they did pay £19m for Jo and they did pay £16m for DeJong in January when he had a £1m release clause in the summer, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

LOL, comical :P

I suppose it's possible and up to RSC (yes, it's a C not a Q) whether he's going to be happy playing 2nd fiddle to superstars.

I suppose it's possible and up to RSC (yes, it's a C not a Q) whether he's going to be happy playing 2nd fiddle to superstars.

Might be possible that Roque thinks he would be in the first eleven ahead of Eto'o/Tevez/Villa :eek: - Doesn't seem to be a lad lacking in self-belief from what I've seen and heard.

So in addition to RSC City currently have the following strikers in the squad
    Robinho, Bellamy, Benjani, Jo, Bojinov and Evans and that's even with Sturridge on his bike.
    Jo is most likely gone and presuambly at least one of Benjani, Bojinov and Evans will be on the way even before another striker forward arrives. Looks like some serious competition for the striker spot at Eastlands next season.

In all fairness he was injured for the majority of last year,

a lot of those games were coming back from injury and trying to get match fit, a lot of sub appearances too,

if he can stay injury free (he is injury prone) he will score a lot of goals for City (if he moves) - once the delivery is correct.

Blackburns pairing of Bentley and Pedersen and their delivery helped Santa Cruz in his first season at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Valencia have decided not to sell striker David Villa unless they are presented with a "scandalously" big offer, club president Manuel Llorente said.
    bfa832990e70b3d370a7fc4025ea2b7b.jpgMore Stories

The Spanish international's agent, Jose Luis Tamargo, had earlier revealed Valencia's decision, which he said came after talks were held with three leading clubs he did not identify.
    "We believe that Villa is the best striker in Europe and we have the good fortune to have him in Valencia so we are going to fight to keep him," Llorente said.
    "Today we took the decision to keep Villa and I cannot promise more than that.
    "There would have to be a scandalously scandalous offer and then we would think about it."
    Villa, who is currently with the Spanish squad at the Confederations Cup in South Africa, has been strongly linked with Real Madrid and media have also reported interest from Barcelona and Chelsea with the player said to be in the 40 to 50 million-euro price-range.
    "They (Valencia) have put us through a situation that is, sadly, very unpleasant because this is no good for anyone," Tamargo said.
    Villa was the tournament top scorer at Euro 2008 with four goals, but missed Spain's 1-0 final victory over Germany due to injury.
    He has since become the nation's second-highest scorer with 30 goals, 14 behind leading marksman Raul on 44.

its between R.madrid and chelsea

villa has his heart set on madrid but chelsea have the biggest offer

so it's at as stalemate

and that BS about keeping valenica is nearly impossible with their debt

just playing hard ball with Madrid

that's how i see it anyway

edit
    the only other club that could match chelsea offer is probly utd but I doubt we're interested ( that have CL soccer next season;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Headshot wrote: »
    edit
    the only other club that could match chelsea offer is probly utd but I doubt we're interested ( that have CL soccer next season;))

He wouldn't fit in with United's under-26 policy so we can rule United out as a possibility.

Morzadec wrote: »
    He wouldn't fit in with United's under-26 policy so we can rule United out as a possibility.

wheres picard when i want him :rolleyes:

wheres picard when i want him :rolleyes:

Like Captain Picard? Sorry you've lost me....

facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

I cant take anymore captain :D

I cant take anymore captain :D

Please explain!

Please explain!

its a star trek joke (yes im a geek)

its a star trek joke (yes im a geek)

No, no I get your joke, I just don't get your original response of 'where's picard when i need him :rolleyes: ??

No, no I get your joke, I just don't get your original response of 'where's picard when i need him :rolleyes: ??

right posts like this

do you have quotes for Gill,saf or the glazers to back up this under-26 policy ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement