Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Headshot wrote: »
    right posts like this

do you have quotes for Gill,saf or the glazers to back up this under-26 policy ?

Oh, no I don't but it was widely reported, didn't realise it was not a substantiated claim. But it pretty much sums up United's transfer policy to date anyway (Berb being pretty much the only exception I can think of). I still don't get what the significance of 'Picard' is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

facepalm.jpg

ah I think I finally get it, that's a commonly used facepalm picture right? Not on these boards all that much, hadn't seen that one before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Morzadec wrote: »
    Oh, no I don't but it was widely reported, didn't realise it was not a substantiated claim. But it pretty much sums up United's transfer policy to date anyway (Berb being pretty much the only exception I can think of). I still don't get what the significance of 'Picard' is?

and vds

so if you read in the morning that utd will be only going after 29-34yr old players would you believe it

its only a substantiated claim if it comes from Fergie or gill themselves

and vds

so if you read in the morning that utd will be only going after 29-34yr old players would you believe it

its only a substantiated claim if it comes from Fergie or gill themselves

Yeah but Vds you got for peanuts, and the claim referred to big signings which I would take to mean 20m and up.

I know the claims are not substantiated but that doesn't mean there is definitely no truth in them. And the fact is that United have never really veered from this policy anyway and I wouldn't expect them to this summer.

Saying that this definitely rules out Villa is probably a bit of an overstatement, but I would be very surprised if United spent big on any player over 25-26, and I would imagine that the fact Villa is 27 is the major reason why United have seemingly not been in the chase for him. Would you not agree with that?

Dunno if my comment was quite Picard worthy...!

And obviously if I read in the papers about United going for 29-34 year olds I would think it was a ridiculous claim as it makes very little sense and veers so strongly from Fergy's past transfer policies/ethos.

Yeah but Vds you got for peanuts, and the claim referred to big signings which I would take to mean 20m and up.

I know the claims are not substantiated but that doesn't mean there is definitely no truth in them. And the fact is that United have never really veered from this policy anyway and I wouldn't expect them to this summer.

Saying that this definitely rules out Villa is probably a bit of an overstatement, but I would be very surprised if United spent big on any player over 25-26, and I would imagine that the fact Villa is 27 is the major reason why United have seemingly not been in the chase for him. Would you not agree with that?

Dunno if my comment was quite Picard worthy...!

the whole argument of the 26 policy is void because of the berba transfer,how do you not know utd arent in for Villa,these days utd keep their business quiet (which kills me)
    but as iv said he's not moving from Spain

VDS was cheap but he still came to utd,and yes it was Picard worthy :)

Well I'll be very very surprised if United spend big on a player in his late twenties this summer. And I would've thought most United fans would agree with me. And you can quote me on that and then post the biggest picture of Picard you can find if I'm wrong!

Well I'll be very very surprised if United spend big on a player in his late twenties this summer. And I would've thought most United fans would agree with me. And you can quote me on that and then post the biggest picture of Picard you can find if I'm wrong!

Cant wait ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

utd will sell campbell to hull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looks this morning that the Santa Cruz deal to Man City is an agreed fee at this stage (BBC), which is a done deal.

So Blackburn will have over £20 million with the sale of Santa Cruz and Derbyshire going through.

Blackburn losing their 2 best Strikers in my opinion, leaves us with the forever unfit McCarthy and the Injury prone Roberts.

It's obvious now we are in the market for a striker now, i wonder if the rumours of Zidan are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5389979,00.html

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent has declared that he is looking for a new club for the Tottenham striker.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5390010,00.html

Manchester United have confirmed striker Carlos Tevez will not be playing for the club next season following the conclusion of his two-year loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dave! wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5389979,00.html

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent has declared that he is looking for a new club for the Tottenham striker.

The rumour mill suggests Bent and Keane might follow him out the door...

RLY? I thought 'arry was onto something good there, he's got a decent oul team IMO :confused: What's provoking the (alledged) exodus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Keane might follow him out the door...

'the boy rooney' would have another field day with that one.

wayne-rooney-puppet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RLY? I thought 'arry was onto something good there, he's got a decent oul team IMO :confused: What's provoking the (alledged) exodus?

I don't think Redknapp is overly impressed with either Bent or Pavlyuchenko, particularly the latter. As for Keane, he wouldn't have been bought back if Defoe hadn't picked up the injury towards the end of the transfer window, that was a case of needs must at the time.

There is supposed to be interest in Keane from Sunderland, and if 'Arry gets to recoup what he paid Liverpool I'd not be surprised to see him go.

222-01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

222-01.gif

That's old school.

• Advertisement

That's where I get all my news nowadays, none of those fancy pants news sites :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Joe Hart agrees one year loan deal with Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good for him. He was unlucky last season. 6 months with given must have been a good learning curve for him aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »

Great move for Birmingham. Taylor is something like 38 now I think and Doyle isn't great.

Good move indeed, he's a very good keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but Luiz Felipe Scolari is the new coach at Bunyodkor (Rivaldo's club) since 8 June.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI3814225-EI1863,00-Felipao+assume+time+de+Rivaldo+no+Uzbequistao.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

well thats quite a step down, from WC coach of brazil - chelsea coach, to there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Max Power1 wrote: »
    well thats quite a step down, from WC coach of brazil - chelsea coach, to there!!

$$$$$

ROY KEANE is ready to offer old Manchester United team-mate Quinton Fortune a return to England with Ipswich.

Keane has invited ex-United midfielder Fortune to train with his Tractor Boys before the new Championship season.

Fortune, 32, is a free agent after leaving Belgian club Tubize at the end of last season and is ready to team up again with Keane.

The South Africa international moved to Old Trafford in 1999 before spells with Sheffield Unite, Sunderland and Bolton.

always liked Fortune,just those injuries ****ed him up

Santa Cruz currently undergoing a medical at City.

Sources say it should be complete by some stage in August :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Xavi - do you think this will have an effect of Teves/Eto'o going to City?

• Advertisement

Xavi - do you think this will have an effect of Teves/Eto'o going to City?

It's hard to know really. Personally I don't buy the Eto'o story, and don't believe he would come to us so it's a non-runner for me.

Tevez on the other hand isn't an out and out striker so it shouldn't really impact any deal. It's not as if we won't have any cash left if we buy RSC so I'd suspect that deal is very much still at the forefront of peoples' minds. I certainly hope so anyway.

Cheers for that,

not quite a transfer - but Schevchenko to stay at Chelsea
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/22/andriy-shevchenko-chelsea-contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Kevin Doyle to Wolves.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5395443,00.html

Great move for everyone involved if it goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I see Johnson has gone to pool

as a Chelsea fan I am delighted,
    hopefully we will get Maicon, that is if bosingwa goes.
    and hopefully he will only go to help us get ribery.

Ribery would be good alongside Maicon, Prilo and Ibra :)

as a Chelsea fan I am delighted,

should be

he's a good player but not a top 4 player and for the reported 18m price tag :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

should be

he's a good player but not a top 4 player and for the reported 18m price tag :eek:

Englands first choice right back.
    Premier Leagues right back of the year for most.
    Already won a PL medal.
    Better than any right back at Utd.
    2 out of the top 4 (ancelloti & benitez)were in for him for big money.

not top 4 quality? :rolleyes:

wouldn't value him at 17/18m myself, but can't remember last time i agreed with the valuation of a young (24) English player. with the monies being paid out for players the last couple of years, he is certainly worth that, especially when the fee is including add ons etc.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Englands first choice right back.
    Premier Leagues right back of the year for most.
    Already won a PL medal.
    Better than any right back at Utd.
    2 out of the top 4 (ancelloti & benitez)were in for him for big money.

not top 4 quality? :rolleyes:

wouldn't value him at 17/18m myself, but can't remember last time i agreed with the valuation of a young (24) English player. with the monies being paid out for players the last couple of years, he is certainly worth that, especially when the fee is including add ons etc.

England have brutal options for RB tbf
    Alan he only made 17 appearance that season he won the PL medal and only made 4 appearances the next season

A fit brown would be on the same level imo
    so what about the top 2 doesnt make him a great player

to me he's dodgy and doesnt cope well under pressure

so no not top 4 quality :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I just don't see him being that much better than Arbeloa

• Advertisement

Real Madrid have made a renewed bid for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso and expect to sign him in a £30million deal.

The move comes just hours after Liverpool agreed a £17m deal for Portsmouth full-back Glen Johnson ahead of competition from Chelsea. And that will signal the £8million departure of Alvaro Arbeloa to Real Madrid too.

Real's pursuit of Alonso has been dogged. They made an approach for the Spain midfielder last month and tabled a £20m offer but Liverpool were reluctant to sell.Yet, despite his new Galacticos era, Florentino Perez has been put under pressure by fans to bring in Spanish players and Alonso and Arbeloa will go a long way to appease them.Chelsea had also inquired about the 27-year-old Alonso but Rafa Benitez did not want to sell to his Premier League rivals. Alonso has made it clear he was not entirely happy working with Benitez and a move to Madrid will suit both parties.

Benitez will now concentrate on trying to keep Javier Mascherano, despite Barcelona's interest, and will use the funds from Alonso's transfer to continue re-building his team
    :)

Myself, Carlo Ancellotti, Rafa Benitez & Fabio Capello will disagree with you so ;)

Surely 17 appearances in a title winning team at 20 or so when he was clearly not as good as he is now proves he is good enough for the top 4?

(also, he is 24, he has the potential to get a lot better-if you're really telling me you'd pick a 29 year old injury ravaged Wes Brown over him, i'm gonna start worrying about you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »

The key here, is that Arbeloa only has a year left and is making sounds that he has no intentions of being in liverpool after that year, so he needed to be replaced.

That being the case, Rafa's gone for a guy around the same level, but who is more suited to an attacking game and supporting a winger, which is ideal when our particular winger loves to get in and around the box, and works like a demon to get back when space opens for a counter. Its a match made in heaven really.

where's that from Headshot re:Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

where's that from Headshot re:Alonso.

i have all my fingers and toes crossed its his imagination or wishful thinking...or marca..

the fact that there is no link is leading me to believe it may be some ridiculous source.

*please*

Myself, Carlo Ancellotti, Rafa Benitez & Fabio Capello will disagree with you so ;)

Surely 17 appearances in a title winning team at 20 or so when he was clearly not as good as he is now proves he is good enough for the top 4?

(also, he is 24, he has the potential to get a lot better-if you're really telling me you'd pick a 29 year old injury ravaged Wes Brown over him, i'm gonna start worrying about you)

so explain the 4 appearances the season after that ;)

When brown was fit,he was a superb RB.

I just dont rate Glen im sorry

and heres the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194800/Liverpool-sacrifice-Xabi-Alonso-Real-Madrid-17m-Glen-Johnson-arrival-kickstarts-Kop-rebuild.html

Phew....its from the mail. silly rag.

No new quotes or developments, just a re-hash of usual ****e.

its actually funny, says that not only have they learnt that Real are about to launch a new bid, but they also know that Liverpool will be forced to accept after spending 17m on Johnson. how could they possibly know all this?!

Totally ignores the fact that Real came out and conceded that they won't be getting him, that Liverpool have said he is not for sale and that Alonso came out and said he doesnt want or expect to be leaving, that he is glad he never joined Madrid and that he has a good relationship with Rafa. all within the last few days. i wish i could set all the tabloids on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so no not top 4 quality :rolleyes:
    PHB wrote: »

uh...

You saw Johnson pay for Chelsea as a teenager with little support from his then manager going into his development. Of course he wasn't going to be world class back then.

Portsmouth also isn't a fair comparison. How often have Portsmouth played pretty poorly over the past few seasons? quite a bit really. Lots of continual pressure is going to make any defender look bad.

Johnson's only 24, that's still relatively young for a defender. Brown was 28(?) when he had his breakthrough season. Johnson has technique, pace, the physique and time to come good on his original promise. All he needs is a decent manager to bring him along imo.

at the same time not worth 18m ordinarily, and i'm not saying he'll be world class either but given that there are very few good defensive right-backs out there these days he's still a good signing for the Pool.

• Advertisement

Phew....its from the mail. silly rag.

No new quotes or developments, just a re-hash of usual ****e.

its actually funny, says that not only have they learnt that Real are about to launch a new bid, but they also know that Liverpool will be forced to accept after spending 17m on Johnson. how could they possibly know all this?!

Totally ignores the fact that Real came out and conceded that they won't be getting him, that Liverpool have said he is not for sale and that Alonso came out and said he doesnt want or expect to be leaving, that he is glad he never joined Madrid and that he has a good relationship with Rafa. all within the last few days. i wish i could set all the tabloids on fire.

lolz that was worth it

you were ****ting yourself mr alan

madrid say alot of stuff Mr Alan and they usually get their man

Advertisement