Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I just wish Duff had got a shot at Spain when he was younger. Before the various injuries and wear and tear of the Premiership got to him he was a different class to Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I just wish Duff had got a shot at Spain when he was younger. Before the various injuries and wear and tear of the Premiership got to him he was a different class to Pennant.

That's random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Zaragoza site says he is considered one of the best right wingers in Europe...

...by who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very good signing for them, imo. Asenjo is a really good keeper and he still has room for improvement. He could go some way to filling Leo Franco's boots.

Stop lying, you just bought him in FM like everyone else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Zaragoza site says he is considered one of the best right wingers in Europe...
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

7.02 The big transfer news early on Friday morning is that Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery could be on his way to Liverpool. Bookmakers have slashed the odds on Ribery heading to Anfield, with the France international previously having said he would either join Real Madrid or stay at Bayern.

Great way to start the morning :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

creggy wrote: »
    Great way to start the morning :mad:

yeah - if they get a world class winger the season we sell one I'll freaking cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fraiser Campbell off to Sunderland apparently.

mike65 wrote: »
    Fraiser Campbell off to Sunderland apparently.

just the fee has been agreed, same as it has been with Hull. Campbell is on holiday at the moment, given extended leave after the euro champs, so nothing will happen before next week imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Righty-ho. As For Ribery - ha! Just Skybet covering their backside.

Gelson 'The Headless Chicken' Fernandes has signed for St. Etienne for an undisclosed fee estimated at £2 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

breaking news

city end interest in eto'o

:pac:
    Manchester City has confirmed that it has ended its interest in bringing Samuel Eto'o to the football Club

Speaking about the matter, club CEO, Garry Cook said, “Samuel Eto'o is undoubtedly a fine footballer but the circumstances surrounding him were such that the deal could not be completed.

“We now feel the time is right to pursue other avenues and we have a clear and strategic transfer plan, which we continue to follow.”

wonder what that means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Do city really need any more strikers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Headshot wrote: »
    breaking news

wonder what that means

It think basicaly it means that just like with Kaka, theres no amount of money the Arabs could toss at Eto'o that would make him sign for a mid table side that has a history of winning nothing in the last 50 years.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Headshot wrote: »
    breaking news

wonder what that means

He doesn't wanna be the next "Robinho"? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Story with Tevez btw? Surely he should have been unveiled officially by now? Any reason I've missed that has had him drop off the radar or did they just sign him very quietly?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Story with Tevez btw? Surely he should have been unveiled officially by now? Any reason I've missed that has had him drop off the radar or did they just sign him very quietly?

he's going to sign by tuesday supposedly

as for City's strikers I imagine it was either Tevez or Eto'o

couldn't see bith signing or playing unless Hughes dropped Santa Cruz

still whatever way you look at it there will be a lot of big name forwards on the subs bench next year, hard to see where Bellamy will fit in (right wing ?)

Superhands wrote: »
    he's going to sign by tuesday supposedly

as for City's strikers I imagine it was either Tevez or Eto'o

couldn't see bith signing or playing unless Hughes dropped Santa Cruz

still whatever way you look at it there will be a lot of big name forwards on the subs bench next year, hard to see where Bellamy will fit in (right wing ?)

They'll most likely have a forward 3 of robinho, Santa cruz, and Tevez with Bellamy on the bench. I don't see any other big name forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

JPA wrote: »
    They'll most likely have a forward 3 of robinho, Santa cruz, and Tevez with Bellamy on the bench. I don't see any other big name forwards.

Not really big names but still have Bojinov, Caicedo and Evans in the squad.
    Bojinov cost around £6m and Caicedo £5.2m while Evans who came through the youths, has already played for Wales ten times at the age of 20.

For a team who aren't even in Europe that's some serious amount of talent to have as 5th/6th/7th choice strikers in the squad.

If Eto'o had been signed these would have fallen another place down the pecking order.

Not to forget the fact that City spent £19m on Jo so that Everton could use
    him. :eek:

If Eto had been signed (and assuming Tevez does) the list of Man City strikers would have been something like this.

1 Eto'o
    2 Tevez
    3 RSC
    4 Robinho
    5 Bellamy
    6 Bojinov
    7 Jo (loan)
    8 Evans
    9 Caicedo

Good thing Sturridge did do a bunk to Chelsea - although sadly it looks like it put paid to any ambitions Hughes might have had to unveil his one keeper and 10 strikers outfield formation.

Seriously imblanced squads ftw !!!!!!

Not really big names but still have Bojinov, Caicedo and Evans in the squad.
    Bojinov cost around £6m and Caicedo £5.2m while Evans who came through the youths, has already played for Wales ten times at the age of 20.

For a team who aren't even in Europe that's some serious amount of talent to have as 5th/6th/7th choice strikers in the squad.

If Eto'o had been signed these would have fallen another place down the pecking order.

Not to forget the fact that City spent £19m on Jo so that Everton could use him. :eek:

The Jo situation is a bit mad, but Evans and Caicedo have been linked away.
    City will sell a number of players when they have who they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The Jo situation is a bit mad, but Evans and Caicedo have been linked away.
    City will sell a number of players when they have who they want.

Any word who Evans and Caicedo have been linked to?

The Telegraph saying Everton have agreed a fee of £4.5m for Kyle Naughton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/5797869/Everton-sign-Jo-on-loan-from-Manchester-City-and-agree-fee-for-Kyle-Naughton.html

Elano could be considered a forward - he often plays on the right of the front three. and with 32 caps for brazil he's a big name player who won't be happy on the bench in world cup year

SWP - winger and England international

Martin Petrov - winger and was high profile player before his injury

Evans - Sheffield United

Caicedo - Someone in France

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1198956/Dunne-rejects-4m-switch-Sunderland-Stoke-Man-City-skipper-stands-firm-move.html?ITO=1490
    Dunne rejects £4m switch to Sunderland or Stoke as Man City skipper stands firm on move

Manchester City captain Richard Dunne is determined not to leave Eastlands and is prepared to see out another season.

Stoke and Sunderland have each had £4million offers accepted by City but Dunne wants to see if he can make an impact on Mark Hughes's squad.

The Telegraph saying Everton have agreed a fee of £4.5m for Kyle Naughton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/5797869/Everton-sign-Jo-on-loan-from-Manchester-City-and-agree-fee-for-Kyle-Naughton.html

of the three young strikers (Caicedo, Evans and Sturridge) Caicedo was by far the best IMO

don't think Hughes rates him though - often played Bellamy as the central striker in a 4-3-3 with Caicedo on the bench

Caicedo could stay as back up physical centre forward, can't see Evans getting much game time though so I expect him to go out on loan

Caicedo has been linked to West Ham, Evans to the Championship,
    I agree that the wingers Petrov and SWP could find themselves unwanted this season although at the same time I don't think they'll leave just yet.

Elano seems destined to leave although I would say he is a central midfielder, the link between midfield and attack, a tricky role to fill in English football.

I agree that the wingers Petrov and SWP could find themselves unwanted this season although at the same time I don't think they'll leave just yet.

SWP will be in the first XI. Petrov needs to prove his fitness or else he simply doesn't deserve to play ahead of Robinho.
    Elano seems destined to leave although I would say he is a central midfielder, the link between midfield and attack, a tricky role to fill in English football.

Can I ask what that's based on?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    SWP will be in the first XI. Petrov needs to prove his fitness or else he simply doesn't deserve to play ahead of Robinho.

Can I ask what that's based on?

re: Elano, I dunno, just seems too big a player to not be playing, doesn't seem to have a great relationship with Hughes. I'm sure, IMO, someone will sign him up.

And where will SWP fit in with Barry, de jong, Ireland, Tevez, santa cruz and ronbino?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunga was pimping Elano to spanish and Italian clubs a few months back too.

I would have said the same thing about Elano - falls out with Hughes, dropped - then he surprises us all and signs a new contract and talks about being happy

could still play wide right, SWP is only natural fit for that position and he isn't great, or midfield with Ireland in a 4-3-3 although Hughes has shown a preference for two DMs

agree he is the type of player who struggles in England (a bit like Deco or Joe Cole even)

hope he doesn't end up playing at Irelands expense although I doubt this will happen (doesn't tackle enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Palermo have signed Pastore.
    It is now official – Palermo have beaten Premier League sides to sign Javier Pastore, nicknamed ‘Argentina’s Kaka.’
    “US Palermo announce they have registered Javier Pastore’s contract with the League,” read a statement on the club website.

“The contract will expire on June 30 2014. The paperwork has been completed for several days, but the official confirmation was only given now out of respect for the player’s commitments.”

The Argentine domestic season only ended a few days ago with Pastore’s team Huracan losing the title play-off to Velez Sarsfield.

It is quite a coup for the Rosanero, as the 20-year-old trequartista is widely considered one of the best young talents in the world.

Pastore had been of interest to the likes of Inter, Manchester United and Arsenal, but chose to begin his European career in Sicily.

The Sun even reported he had turned down an offer of £8.8m to move to Old Trafford last week.

His most famous nickname is ‘Argentina’s Kaka’ for his style similar to that of the former Milan star.
    It's good to see a smaller club sign such a highly rated young player, especially when some top European clubs were in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah but Palermo are not a small club in Argentina, they fucking love them over there.

hmm after some googling I may have been mixed up with Parma but in Argentina Serie A is the most loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

I would have said the same thing about Elano - falls out with Hughes, dropped - then he surprises us all and signs a new contract and talks about being happy

could still play wide right, SWP is only natural fit for that position and he isn't great, or midfield with Ireland in a 4-3-3 although Hughes has shown a preference for two DMs

agree he is the type of player who struggles in England (a bit like Deco or Joe Cole even)

hope he doesn't end up playing at Irelands expense although I doubt this will happen (doesn't tackle enough)

em while its great that so many have an interest in city's transfers try watching some games before you decide whether one of our best players from last season isnt great enough to play for us now, especially if you think he could lose his place to elano. good players are more than just a reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

yeah but Palermo are not a small club in Argentina, they fucking love them over there.

hmm after some googling I may have been mixed up with Parma but in Argentina Serie A is the most loved.
    I wasn't trying to say anything bad about Palermo, I just meant that it's nice to see a young player choose a club where he will probably get more first team football rather than a bigger club who would probably pay him more and play him less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Has anyone else heard this, Huntelaar is "supposedly" going to Stuttgart for €20 million (£17.2 million), does anybody else find that a bit much for a player they bought for less only 6 months ago and who they don't want?! I just think thats a bit silly!

Has anyone else heard this, Huntelaar is "supposedly" going to Stuttgart for €20 million (£17.2 million), does anybody else find that a bit much for a player they bought for less only 6 months ago and who they don't want?! I just think thats a bit silly!

They're just getting the money they paid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Didn't they pay 20 mil plus additional fees of upo to 7 mil. for him 6 months ago? So they will probably make a slight loss on him.

IMO he is worth every penny. Even has a decent scoring record at Madrid.

They're just getting the money they paid back.

I just found it a bit strange that they would pay that much for a player who has to leave because at the moment Real Madrid have 35 players and can only register 25 for LaLiga! So they have to sell him, you'd think Stuttgart would make an offer of half that! It's crazy to pay what they want when the balls in their court, and I know I know I know that he was class for Ajax and he got 76 goals in 92 games but Alfonso Alves had a ridiculous record and look what hapened him!

Only registering 25 players is a misnomer as player registered in the B team can also play for the first team.
    Real are going to get every cent they can for any player they sell, they definitely need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I just found it a bit strange that they would pay that much for a player who has to leave because at the moment Real Madrid have 35 players and can only register 25 for LaLiga! So they have to sell him, you'd think Stuttgart would make an offer of half that! It's crazy to pay what they want when the balls in their court, and I know I know I know that he was class for Ajax and he got 76 goals in 92 games but Alfonso Alves had a ridiculous record and look what hapened him!

Probably the only chance Stuttgart have of getting a player of his calibre that young so the money might be worth it to price out others

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Probably the only chance Stuttgart have of getting a player of his calibre that young so the money might be worth it to price out others

Your probably right with that, he is about to turn 26 though, but I get what your saying yeah! Plus they do desperatly need to fill the hole Mario Gomez left when he went and they'll use the money they got for him to do it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

also just cos everyone knows Madrid no longer wanted him doesent mean he will be cheap infact it is just as likely to mean that a big number of clubs will be after him and you may have to pay fairly big quick or get dragged into a bidding war

bigstar wrote: »
    em while its great that so many have an interest in city's transfers try watching some games before you decide whether one of our best players from last season isnt great enough to play for us now, especially if you think he could lose his place to elano. good players are more than just a reputation.

i saw every one of city's games last season and don't share your opinion

SWP was being used both as a central midfielder or wide on the right - two positions Elano has played regularly throughout his career for Brazil, Shakhtar and City

considering Elano is a current Brazilian international its not implausible he that he might be picked ahead of SWP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Fraizer Campbell has completed his move to Sunderland,

Signing a 4 year deal.

SWP was being used both as a central midfielder or wide on the right - two positions Elano has played regularly throughout his career for Brazil, Shakhtar and City

To be fair, SWP played central maybe three or four times, with Elano playing on the right for roughly the same amount of time, but only when SWP was injured and we had no other real alternative towards the end of the season
    considering Elano is a current Brazilian international its not implausible he that he might be picked ahead of SWP

Possibly yes, however there is a massive, massive difference in attitudes and that will ultimately cost Elano a spot in the team in any position.

It appears that Lisandro Lopez has signed for Lyon for €24million(£20.6million). I think he could be a good signing for them, but I think he's quite similar to Benzema though, so it's no major change to their dynamic!

• Advertisement

NOTW back pages for tomorrow.

Eto'o looking at a move to United.
    Ibrahimovic is a 60million target Chelsea
    Terry has demanded to talk to City

The People

Liverpool turned down a 65million bid for Torres from Real Madrid

Star say United, Chelsea and City have bid 60million for Torres (don't know if they are saying the bids have been made (and presumably rejected), or are to be made (and presumably rejected). also say United are trying to sign Ashley Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

NOTW back pages for tomorrow.

Eto'o looking at a move to United.
    Ibrahimovic is a 60million target Chelsea
    Terry has demanded to talk to City

The People

Star say United, Chelsea and City have bid 60million for Torres (don't know if they are saying the bids have been made (and presumably rejected), or are to be made (and presumably rejected). also say United are trying to sign Ashley Young

A perfect example of idle silly season reporting from the red tops, itll NEVER happen.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    A perfect example of idle silly season reporting from the red tops, itll NEVER happen.

A couple of the papers are running with the story. NOTW and Mirror (i think, they didn't name the paper) at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wouldnt mind torres

he'd be a good back up to owen or berba ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Star say United, Chelsea and City have bid 60million for Torres (don't know if they are saying the bids have been made (and presumably rejected), or are to be made (and presumably rejected).

65 million is an insult!

• Advertisement
Advertisement