Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

65 million is an insult!

totally agree mate

he's not worth that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

65 million is an insult!

The story actually doesn't appear to have any substance at all.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/88695/Trio-bid-60m-for-Nando/
    RAFA Benitez claims THREE Premier League clubs have made £60million bids for Liverpool striker Fernando Torres.

But the Kop boss has told Man United, Man City and Chelsea that his Spanish superstar is NOT for sale.

Benitez said: “We had very good offers for some of our key players and we said ‘no’. Very, very big offers.

“This summer people have asked about Torres.

“We always wanted to keep Fernando but we heard rumours and agents were telling us things.

“We said ‘no’. The main thing was that the player wanted to stay.

“People know the player wants to stay here but sometimes the people will try.

“We’re trying to become stronger at Liverpool and build the squad to compete and challenge in the Premier League. That’s our idea.”

Real Madrid have also been linked with Torres but that deal will never get off the ground because of the bitter rivalry between the Spanish giants and the striker’s old club Atletico Madrid.

Benitez is still hoping that Javier Mascherano, 25, will finally commit himself to the club over the next week.

Really, what in the story really links to the headline they gave it.

Not surprising that Torres has no interest in leaving Liverpool at this point, only been there two seasons. Maybe in a few years he'll want to move back to Spain, who knows, but i'd be amazingly shocked if e had any real interest in moving anywhere in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The story actually doesn't appear to have any substance at all.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/88695/Trio-bid-60m-for-Nando/

Really, what in the story really links to the headline they gave it.

Not surprising that Torres has no interest in leaving Liverpool at this point, only been there two seasons. Maybe in a few years he'll want to move back to Spain, who knows, but i'd be amazingly shocked if e had any real interest in moving anywhere in the short term.

Whatever about him leaving in a few years, I think Real are kidding themselves if they ever thought he was going to leave for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

im sick of the sh!t these rags peddle and call it "news", torres to utd or chelski or city oh fcuk off would you! thats not news....i doubt any bids were even made (ok actually wouldnt be surpised if city did after hearing the terry "news") but come on, do the sports writers or editors not just take a split second before giving it the go ahead and go: "actually this sounds like pure BS!"

do the sports writers or editors not just take a split second before giving it the go ahead and go: "actually this sounds like pure BS!"

That is probably the single condition they have for publishing something.

That is probably the single condition they have for publishing something.

they probably have rafa's phone tapped

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

some pretty interesting stories in tomorrows papers !

The Independent is saying Liverpool turned down a £50m bid for Torres, the Star is saying Utd, Chelsea and City all bid £60m but has nothing to back it up. The Independent is a lot more reliable

The Times is saying Terry wants to at least talk to City and that City will pay him £250k a week :eek: The Express is saying Chelsea are even looking at Newcastle's Steven Taylor as a replacement

The Star (which had previously said Tevez was unsure about City) now seems to think that move is going to happen

Couple of papers (telegraph and NOTW) talking about Eto'o to Utd

Villa - Spurs and Utd want Ashley Young

Links to these stories here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Ibrahimovic is a 60million target Chelsea

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bubs101 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Inter Milan's Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has claimed Premier League big guns Chelsea want to sign him.

Ibrahimovic, whose Inter coach Jose Mourinho used to be in charge at Stamford Bridge, has revealed that money will not be the main motivating factor in any move after being linked with a £60million switch to the Barclays Premier League.

Ibrahimovic said: "I am fully aware that Chelsea want to sign me and, of course, it is very flattering. They are one of the biggest teams in Europe and the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world.

He told the News of the World: "Money is not the most important thing. I will base my decision on what's good for me, what suits me.

"It is about asking: will I still be able to be special in the league that I am going to, to the team that I am going to?

"Are my qualities right for the Premier League or not?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Headshot wrote: »
    Inter Milan's Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic: will I still be able to be special in the league that I am going to, to the team that I am going to?

"Are my qualities right for the Premier League or not?"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It would be great for the premier league if Ibra went to Chelsea - he's such an entertaining player; and hopefuly Drogba would fook off to some other league so we don't have to watch him rolling back on to the pitch when he's 'injured' and other such sh!te every game (quality player and all though he is)

We'd also get to find out if Ibra can actually step up to the big time.

Ssn sources : sunderland increase bid to 6m for lee cattermole

Not a bad player at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa can outbid them :pac: (actually that may not be true!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ssn sources : sunderland increase bid to 6m for lee cattermole

Not a bad player at all

meh, flavour of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

JPA wrote: »

A player Bruce has worked with though so he knows what he is getting,

Either ways, they have gotten rid of Chopra and replaced him with Cambell - making a bit of money if you ignore the potential fee for the moment. That is a good bit of business.

If talk of Keane wanting to take Murphy & Whitehead to Ipswich are true, well then in replacing Whitehead & Chopra with higher quality players is the kind of improvement they need.

I still think they need another striker though (with cisse gone and murphy and stokes due to leave). On top of that i'd like to see them swap Jones for Bent in some sort of deal.

A player Bruce has worked with though so he knows what he is getting,

Either ways, they have gotten rid of Chopra and replaced him with Cambell - making a bit of money if you ignore the potential fee for the moment. That is a good bit of business.

If talk of Keane wanting to take Murphy & Whitehead to Ipswich are true, well then in replacing Whitehead & Chopra with higher quality players is the kind of improvement they need.

I still think they need another striker though (with cisse gone and murphy and stokes due to leave). On top of that i'd like to see them swap Jones for Bent in some sort of deal.

Sunderland will sign Crouch and don't Blackburn want Jones?

Sunderland will sign Crouch and don't Blackburn want Jones?

God i hope not, i don't rate Jones as a player at all (but he does fit Sam's forward types history) , have heard rumours of Blackburn wanting Jones, Crouch and Bent, not all together though,

I think Crouch's wages will mean he won't be going to Sunderland or Blackburn.

God i hope not, i don't rate Jones as a player at all (but he does fit Sam's forward types history) , have heard rumours of Blackburn wanting Jones, Crouch and Bent, not all together though,

I think Crouch's wages will mean he won't be going to Sunderland or Blackburn.

Sunderland are loaded now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cattermole is a good player, could be very good.

• Advertisement

Sunderland are loaded now though.

Well the major shareholder is a rich man,

but from what i have heard, he want's to sort the ship out first, mainly the huge wage bill. Sunderland have a huge amount of players at the club.

A Major cull is needed, i don't think Bruce will be allowed splash huge amounts straight away.

He was linked with quite a few clubs last summer too in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

Daily Mail saying Tevez is going to have Man City medical tomorrow link here

could be a big week, expect Terry situation to be sorted out soon aswell

ssn
    breaking news

city in talks with arsenal over adebayor

madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ssn
    breaking news

city in talks with arsenal over adebayor

madness

What's mad about it? They failed in an attempt to sign one striker so they've moved on to another target :confused:

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's mad about it? They failed in an attempt to sign one striker so they've moved on to another target :confused:

tevez,Robinho,cruz and maybe ade

• Advertisement

It IS madness. At least one, maybe 2 will have to be benched.
    No Europe to rotate in, A smaller name, up and coming striker would have been a better move IMO.

Yorke Cole Sheringham and Solskjaer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

City are starting to worry me now, if they end up getting Terry, Tevez and Adebayor they could mount a title challenge next season.

exactly what JPA said
    It IS madness. At least one, maybe 2 will have to be benched.
    No Europe to rotate in, A smaller name, up and coming striker would have been a better move IMO.

I laugh at tevez :pac::pac::pac:

Ya, what you have there is 2 of 4 strikers who knew their role at the club and who both cost little money.

At City there will be 4 big name forwards, all 4 cost huge amounts of money and there is no way they can all play.

• Advertisement

exactly what JPA said

What about it? There are plenty competitions for them to rotate in and out for.

Robinho's not an out and out striker and two of the names you've listed haven't even been signed.

Essentially it boils down to "Santa Cruz and maybe one or two others - madness". It isn't like...

What about it? There are plenty competitions for them to rotate in and out for.

Robinho's not an out and out striker and two of the names you've listed haven't even been signed.

Essentially it boils down to "Santa Cruz and maybe one or two others - madness". It isn't like...

We'll agree to disagree but City aren't even in Europe, I don't think anyone is going to be happy because they get to start in the League Cup.

tevez will be signing that's for sure

lolz at tevez

he wont be starting most games now :pac:

what's the betting he wont be moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Robinho will be used wide left for the majority of the time

slingerz wrote: »
    I think Robinho will be used wide left for the majority of the time

Wide left in 4-3-3 or in a 4-2-3-1.

You'll still have to bench someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Wide left in 4-3-3 or in a 4-2-3-1.

You'll still have to bench someone.

4-3-3 by the looks of it,

Barry - De Jong - Ireland

Tevez - Adebayor - Robinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

City are starting to worry me now, if they end up getting Terry, Tevez and Adebayor they could mount a title challenge next season.

who are citys fullbacks and wingers I can't remember off hand? If they got all players mentioned above they'd be a formidable side alright but still short of a title challenge I reckon top 6 should be achieveable though.

That could work but you're benching RSC and SWP.

who are citys fullbacks and wingers I can't remember off hand? If they got all players mentioned above they'd be a formidable side alright but still short of a title challenge I reckon top 6 should be achieveable though.

LB- Wayne Bridge
    RB - Zabalatea or Richards.

Wingers - Petrov, SWP

Could be forgetting a couple of players.

tevez isnt the best on the wings imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Nah, there a long ways away from champions league let alone a title challenge! There defence last season was shocking, if it wasn't for Given they probably wouldn't have had a top half finish! They're still way behind the likes of Spurs and Everton and at about the same level as Villa, so they won't be breaking the top 4 for a while!

The ridiculous thing is the City strikeforce possibly next season, Robinho, Tevez, Santa, Ade, Bellamy, Caicedo and Bojinov! Most of whom will demand 1st team football! It's crazy but I doubt they'll get Ade! Yeah we know what we have to look forward to at Eastlands! Goals goals goals, like last season! They scored and conceded loads which makes for some cracking games! No 0-0's next season me thinks! :D

Adebayor brochure works wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Tevez is not a good wide player. He's not fast and his crossing is nothing special.

On city in general: I get p!ssed off with billionaire teams that go out and buy 20 players that should be starting. It means that lots of the leagues top players are warming their bench. It just means that we the fans don't get to see those players. And also it doesn't even make sense from a footballing point of view - too many good players to keep happy. Chelski used to be like this but they've calmed down a bit in recent years.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Tevez is not a good wide player. He's not fast and his crossing is nothing special.

On city in general: I get p!ssed off with billionaire teams that go out and buy 20 players that should be starting. It means that lots of the leagues top players are warming their bench. It just means that we the fans don't get to see those players. And also it doesn't even make sense from a footballing point of view - too many good players to keep happy. Chelski used to be like this but they've calmed down a bit in recent years.

The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol this would be AMAZING.

Given

Zabaleta
    Kompany
    Onouha
    Bridge

De Jong

Ireland
    Barry

Tevez
    Robinho

Adebayor

Subs: Taylor, Richards, Dunne, Elano, Santa Cruz, Petrov, Wright-Phillips

Juicy!

(Although Vinny K is gonna miss the start of the season with a toe injury).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Xavi6 wrote: »

Given

Zabaleta
    Kompany
    Onouha
    Bridge

De Jong

Ireland
    Barry

Tevez
    Robinho

Adebayor

Juicy!

no terry???

That is a decent team though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd have SWP in an advanced right wing position ahead of Tezez tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Xavi6 wrote: »

Given

Zabaleta
    Kompany
    Onouha
    Bridge

De Jong

Ireland
    Barry

Tevez
    Robinho

Adebayor

Juicy!

It looks like a good line up but the defence seems a little weak, it looks very dependent on Given. But just think about the City games next season if you thought there games had lots of goals last season think of how many goals will be in their games this season, a stunning attack and a kind of weak defence, no 0-0's this season!

Am thinking more:

DeJong
    SWP
    Ireland
    Robinho
    Tevez
    Adebayor

and:

Barry
    DeJong
    SWP
    Ireland
    Robinho
    Adebayor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As individuals, Manchester City now have two teams that could play in the Premier League, that's a scary strength in depth, even before they consider Adebayor or Tevez :eek:

Team 1
    GK - Given
    LB - Bridge
    CB - Richards
    CB - Kompany
    RB - Zabaleta
    LW - Petrov
    CM - Barry
    CM - de Jong
    RW - Ireland
    ST - Santa Cruz
    ST - Robinho