Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Woops, clearly clicked on the Man City Team Talk/Discussion thread. My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Manchester City Football Club - ruining threads as well as football

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Man City have purchased this thread

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Manchester City Football Club - helping threads as well as football

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

England striker Peter Crouch is locked in transfer talks with Sunderland after they agreed a £12m deal with Portsmouth, BBC Sport understands.

The 28-year-old is also a target for Fulham boss Roy Hodgson as he prepares to rake in £5m from the sale of Bobby Zamora to Hull City.

Fulham boss Hodgson may hold the trump card with Crouch reportedly keen to move to London.

But Sunderland boss Bruce hopes he can tempt Crouch with a lucrative package.

Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie was unhappy with Crouch's recent criticism of the club having not yet appointed a permanent manager to take over from Paul Hart.

Storrie insisted that was not possible while a proposed takeover by United Arab Emirates businessman Sulaiman Al Fahim was still under discussion.

Al Fahim has now completed the process of due diligence and is now trying to agree a figure with Pompey owner Sacha Gaydamak.

Pompey are strange, so they're being taken over but still selling all their best players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8151089.stm

This would be interesting to see! Vieri would be such a typical Allardyce signing.

I remember he hit a bit of form towards the end of his spell with Fiorentina but I don't really know how he got on last season. He was lethal in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Vieri was a true legend at Inter, but his career went downhill after 2005/2006 after a knee injury. He didn't get much game time and eventually ended up with Atalanta where he effectively played on a slaary made up of goal bonuses ( which didn't really happen). At 36, I can't imagine he has much left to offer. He'll probably end up in the MLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

carlop wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8151089.stm

This would be interesting to see! Vieri would be such a typical Allardyce signing.

I remember he hit a bit of form towards the end of his spell with Fiorentina but I don't really know how he got on last season. He was lethal in his prime.

He was linked with Hull last season after they got promoted and that never materialised so I wouldn't hold my breath! These rumours with ancient greats crop up every year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

www.football365.com

Barcelona have reached an agreement with Inter Milan to sign Brazilian defender Maxwell for a fee which could rise to 5million euros (£4.2m).

Barca have signed Sylvinho's replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Maxwell was with Ajax before wasn't he? Any idea if he's played much for Inter since he went there? I'd forgotten all about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's a very good deal for Barca. I know Maxwell is back-up for Inter and doesn't get near the Brazil team but he is a very capable defender (and better attacker) and considering how ridculous transfers have been this summer, €5m is a good price for a player like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

That's a steal really, a better replacement for Sylvinho, competition for Abidal. Great buy for that price, nice to see some surprise dealings too, normally Barca shout about who they want to sign and then get bloody raped by the price. Kinda puts the Glen Johnson/ Dani Alves deals in perspective...

Lucio to sign for Inter Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

That's a very good deal for Barca. I know Maxwell is back-up for Inter and doesn't get near the Brazil team but he is a very capable defender (and better attacker) and considering how ridculous transfers have been this summer, €5m is a good price for a player like him.

I hardly think 33 games last season is "back-up", he's obviously not going to get near Brazil with all their real fast and class left backs! He is real good most notable for his wondergoal against Parma in 2007! Amazing it was! And at €5million, that's a steal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

More Inter - Barca activity, Ibra for Etoo swap deal in the pipeline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8155593.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Strange, Eto'o and €40m for Ibrahimovic. Eto'o is a better player than ibrahimovich! They're both near enough the same age too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Strange, Eto'o and €40m for Ibrahimovic. Eto'o is a better player than ibrahimovich! They're both near enough the same age too.

where did you hear it was eto'o and £35stg??

thats insane if true, inter must be laughing their a*s off at that deal if true

rossie1977 wrote: »
    where did you hear it was eto'o and £35stg??

thats insane if true, inter must be laughing their a*s off at that deal if true

Plus Hleb on loan! OK, it's goal.com which is The Sun of online football sites:
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/07/17/1387285/barcelona-sign-ibrahimovic-from-inter-for-40m-plus-etoo

In fairness to the much maligned goal.com, they put up articles they source from elsewhere, they don't make stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

With that amount of money added it's a good deal for Inter, but if it were a straight swap it would be a better deal for Barca.

Inter revolve around Ibrahimovic and he plays a role in the team that Eto'o isn't capable of doing.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    In fairness to the much maligned goal.com, they put up articles they source from elsewhere, they don't make stuff up.

Yeah, but they always have attention grabing headlines without one quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It was reported on SSN this morning, and as a straight swap deal too.

Great deal for Barca if it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Paparazzo wrote: »

Would be an awful piece of transfer business by Barca imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Eto > Ibra all day. Madness on Barca's behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ibra > Eto'o in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ibra > Eto'o in my opinion.

+40 million?

probably not no, but its not my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So Adebayor has signed for City

What do we make of that?

AFAIK these are City's strikers now

Adebayor
    Santa Cruz
    Robinho
    Bellamy
    Tevez
    Benjani
    Bojinov
    Caicedo
    Evans
    Jo (loaned out to the Toffees)

Some more of those will have to be loaned out or let go, or there will be alot of discontent in the dressing room !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Wiki is saying that 'Evans signed for Ipswich Town on 19 July 2009 for £2 million'. Didnt know this, thought it was Sheff Utd who would be signing him.

I expect Bellamy, Caceido and Benjani to leave this window tbh and Bojinov will probably be gone soon enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dave! wrote: »
    AFAIK these are City's strikers now

Adebayor
    Santa Cruz
    Robinho
    Bellamy
    Tevez
    Benjani
    Bojinov
    Caicedo
    Evans
    Jo (loaned out to the Toffees)

Some more of those will have to be loaned out or let go, or there will be alot of discontent in the dressing room !

Someone should buy Bojinov imo, he looked like a quality striker and despite his injuries is still really highly regarded but will get no game time this season tbh he is 5/6th choice striker (5th if Robinho is only considerd a winger).

Hull should buy Benjani imo cos hed be cheap and also isnt going to get a game at City and could still do a job especially at that level where they are currently struggling to get a striker to sign on.

Caicedo has been strongly linked to Sporting Lisbon and Ched Evans most recently to Sheff Utd.

if all that happened they would be left with:

Adebayor
    Santa Cruz
    Robinho
    Bellamy
    Tevez
    Jo (out on loan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Anyone else think Juventus have done brilliantly under the radar??

Felipe Melo
    Diego
    Cannavaro

3 very strong signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »

Felipe Melo
    Diego
    Cannavaro

3 very strong signings.
    Melo is a good signing and Diego is a great signing. They shouldn't have taken Cannavaro back at all, big mistake, they should have went for somebody like Santacroce. I still think Inter will win the league this year, even without Ibra.

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »

Felipe Melo
    Diego
    Cannavaro

3 very strong signings.

YES,

the first two are terrific signings, the two players United should have got, if they had their heads screwed on IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Going to Barca would be the perfect move for Ibrahimovic. His style is just what they want.
    And we'd all finally be able to see if he's good enough to step up and do it on the big stage.
    A straight swap for Eto'o would surely be the only reasonable deal, except that Eto'o is in the last year of his contract.. I don't really know how that should effect it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

dor83 wrote: »
    Melo is a good signing and Diego is a great signing. They shouldn't have taken Cannavaro back at all, big mistake, they should have went for somebody like Santacroce. I still think Inter will win the league this year, even without Ibra.

Think playing alongside as great a defender as Cannavaro could help Chiellini though. As for Mello and Diego, fantastic but we need full backs.

Also haven't been paying too much attention but did we sell Criscito to Genoa or is he coming back? Could use him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Think playing alongside as great a defender as Cannavaro could help Chiellini though. As for Mello and Diego, fantastic but we need full backs.

Also haven't been paying too much attention but did we sell Criscito to Genoa or is he coming back? Could use him.
    I just don't think he is good enough to play for a top team anymore and can understand why the Ultras aren't happy with him rejoining, he did walk out when Juve needed him most.

As far as I know they sold 50% of Criscito to Genoa and he will play there next season, I honestly don't completely understand how they work out who a player plays for when they are owned by two different clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I just don't think he is good enough to play for a top team anymore and can understand why the Ultras aren't happy with him rejoining, he did walk out when Juve needed him most.

As far as I know they sold 50% of Criscito to Genoa and he will play there next season, I honestly don't completely understand how they work out who a player plays for when they are owned by two different clubs.

Nuts to the ultras. They're never happy. They want him to stay there when they're in Serie B when he can make 3/4 times what he makes in Italy at Madrid. Ultras are the lowest of the low, thugs and hooligans. How anybody could glamorise them or give a stuff what they think puzzles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Judging by Champo rules it's worked out in the contract (normally the ****ter club gets him, like a loan but with more incentive to develop his talent) and then they either bid for his contract after a subscribed period of time (1 or 2 years) or try and buy him before

Sky Sports News understands Hull City have agreed a fee with Reading for Stephen Hunt and the midfielder has settled personal terms.

The Republic of Ireland ace has been linked with a number of Premier League sides and he is reportedly eager to secure a switch back to the top flight.

Reading boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted Hunt could be set to leave the Madejski Stadium before the end of the transfer window and Hull now appear in pole position.

Tigers manager Phil Brown has made no secret of the fact that he wants to increase his squad's goal threat and the attack-minded 28-year-old could add guile.

Hunt is understood to have left the Republic's training base to hold further talks, but he is set to return in time for Wednesday's pre-season friendly with Australia.

Hull have already missed out deals for Bobby Zamora, Daryl Murphy and Fraizer Campbell this summer after agreeing fees.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5483955,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hull? Jebus are things that bad a Reading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

WTF Steve, Hull?

That's his level IMO.

That's his level IMO.

hes not a worldbeater but i woulda expected him to go to a more established premiership team like a Blackburn or Bolton

hes not a worldbeater but i woulda expected him to go to a more established premiership team like a Blackburn or Bolton

Ya, Maybe you are right but he is just such a limited player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ya, Maybe you are right but he is just such a limited player.

He's not a premiershp player. Reading was more his level

orourkeda wrote: »
    He's not a premiershp player. Reading was more his level

that may be true next season but this season Hull would beg to differ with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He loves relegation battles obv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Wasn't he close to a move to Everton at one stage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

mike65 wrote: »
    Hull? Jebus are things that bad a Reading?

Its a good move for reading. The old parachute payments are drying up at this stage and Hunt would be one of the higher paid players.

Not sure its a good move for Hunt.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Wasn't he close to a move to Everton at one stage?

he was and for more money but it seems his stock has fallen since then

• Advertisement
Advertisement