Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

thegen wrote: »
    Dont think Voronin will be going anywhere, the germans wont pay the price (setanta this morning)
    I'm sure a price can be arranged or else they can just keep him for free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Serious rumour doing the rounds -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1174039/Chelsea-Spurs-wait-wings-Barca-offer-30m-Etoo-Man-City.html
    Chelsea and Spurs wait in the wings as Barca offer £30m Eto'o to Man City

Samuel Eto'o will tonight lead the line for Barcelona, but his future at the club is far from certain after president Joan Laporta flew into London yesterday seeking to find a buyer for the prolific Cameroon striker.

Sources in Spain claim that Manchester City are to be sounded out as Eto’o has only one year remaining on his contract. It is understood that other clubs will also be asked if they are interested.

Asked if Laporta would meet with Tottenham, a Spanish source claimed: ‘He will meet first with Manchester City, but will also listen to any club ready to pay a good fee.’

Eto’o, 28, would fetch around £30million in the summer and could be the sort of high profile player City want.

Chelsea are another prospective buyer.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6182388.ece
    Manchester City in transfer talks over Samuel Eto'o

Barcelona held talks with Manchester City yesterday about the transfer of Samuel Eto’o.

On the eve of his team’s Champions League semi-final, first leg with Chelsea, Joan Laporta, the Barcelona president, met Garry Cook, the Manchester City executive chairman, in London to discuss a deal for the striker. The Spanish club have also offered Eto’o, who could command a fee of up to £15 million, to Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

City remain keen on signing another superstar to play alongside Robinho after their unsuccessful attempt to buy Kaká for a world-record £103 million from AC Milan in January. Barcelona’s position has been weakened by Eto’o, 28, stalling on the offer of a new four-year contract, which means that he could leave on a free transfer when his present deal expires in 14 months.

Tottenham baulked at meeting Eto’o’s wages of £100,000 a week last summer, but City’s ultra-ambitious owners demonstrated their seemingly limitless pockets by offering Kaká £500,000 a week.

3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Serious rumour doing the rounds -
    3.gif

the night before teh champs league match ... hmmm suspicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ronaldo to Real. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

slingerz wrote: »
    Liverpool outs
    Dossena
    Itandje
    Voronin
    Lucas

Liverpool Ins
    Tevez
    Johnson
    Barry
    Silva

You think Liverpool will pay 32m for Tevez? Only Real or Man City are stupid enough to spend that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I cant see Tevez moving to Liverpool mainly because of the system they play. If you look at the majority of there games especially when Gerrard and Torres are fit its

4-2-3-1, with Gerrard behind Torres and two wingers. Where does Tevez fit in? No way he gets in the team ahead of Torres and Gerrard, and if he is signing to become a squad player then why would he leave United. Just doesn't make any sense to me really.

With his owners, if he leaves it will be to the highest bidder. Man City, or Real, and if they aren't interested it will be Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

With rumours that chelsea/man city are set to land eto'o David villa is set to replace him in Barcelona's starting 11 and it also leaves the door open for spurs to bid for santa cruz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Liverpool will probably sell Babel (though i have mixed feelings about it) for about 7/8 million i reckon.

The left back situation is interesting: Insua will be first choice next year I think. We don’t need three left backs, so do we 1) sell Dossena for 4/5 million as he’s still highly rated in Italy and keep Aurelio as one of our two left backs? Risky, as I can only see his injuries getting worse as he gets older 2) sell Aurelio and keep Dossena as 2nd choice LB, or 3) Keep them both and use Dossena as 2nd choice left winger, a position he’s impressed in this season more than LB.
    Personally I think if we’re really stuck for cash we’ll sell Dossena. Otherwise, keeping him as a versatile left side option would be my preference. Aurelio has no resale value I don’t think and he performs well when fit. The important thing for me is not to hinder Insua’s development.

Voronin will go for maybe 4 million? Even if Hertha can’t afford him, his form this season must have turned some heads.
    Degen – could we get a million for him? Anything would be a bonus

So that could be between 13 and 18 million in player sales. Add to a kitty of probably 20-25 million, barring a takeover and we should have 35-40 million to spend on arrivals.

We need a right back, a right winger, and a central midfielder. These are 3 absolute musts. We have no backup for Arbeloa, only 3 central midfielders, and have needed a right winger for as long as we’ve needed a left one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liverpool will probably sell Babel (though i have mixed feelings about it) for about 7/8 million i reckon.

The left back situation is interesting: Insua will be first choice next year I think. We don’t need three left backs, so do we 1) sell Dossena for 4/5 million as he’s still highly rated in Italy and keep Aurelio as one of our two left backs? Risky, as I can only see his injuries getting worse as he gets older 2) sell Aurelio and keep Dossena as 2nd choice LB, or 3) Keep them both and use Dossena as 2nd choice left winger, a position he’s impressed in this season more than LB.
    Personally I think if we’re really stuck for cash we’ll sell Dossena. Otherwise, keeping him as a versatile left side option would be my preference. Aurelio has no resale value I don’t think and he performs well when fit. The important thing for me is not to hinder Insua’s development.

Voronin will go for maybe 4 million? Even if Hertha can’t afford him, his form this season must have turned some heads.
    Degen – could we get a million for him? Anything would be a bonus

So that could be between 13 and 18 million in player sales. Add to a kitty of probably 20-25 million, barring a takeover and we should have 35-40 million to spend on arrivals.

We need a right back, a right winger, and a central midfielder. These are 3 absolute musts. We have no backup for Arbeloa, only 3 central midfielders, and have needed a right winger for as long as we’ve needed a left one.

surely if Babel goes you need a striker too.

surely if Babel goes you need a striker too.

i'm not so sure. He's never really played there for us so we're not losing out on much. We always play one up front, and have N'Gog, Kuyt and Nemeth who should all be able to play there next season. i don't want to spend a large chunk of our budget on someone who's never going to get a game when Torres is fit.
    The ideal would be for us to sign a right winger who can also play up front. Someone like Babel, only better.

Or else take a risk on Owen for free

• Advertisement

Rafa saying he has to sell to buy (Today) can he really realistically sell
    Dossena
    Itandje
    Voronin
    Lucas
    and buy even two on the liverpool wishlist
    Tevez (32m)
    Johnson(8-12m)
    Barry~(16)
    Silva(valencia asking for ~25m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Barry won't cost near 16m if he is leaving Villa.

They won't let him go for nothing tho he needs to be able to spend decent money on a replacement

Dossena
    Itandje
    Voronin
    Lucas
    Tevez (32m)
    Johnson(8-12m)
    Barry~(16)

we will not sell Lucas. We will not buy Tevez. Barry will not cost anywhere near 16 million. These are the facts.

Dossena
    Itandje
    Voronin
    Lucas
    Tevez (32m)
    Johnson(8-12m)
    Barry~(16)

I thought he said he may need to sell to get money in on top of what he already has. Rumored to be between 20 and 25 million.

They won't let him go for nothing tho he needs to be able to spend decent money on a replacement

well he has a year left on his contract, and can threaten to buy himself out. Or actually buy himself out.

I thought he said he may need to sell to get money in on top of what he already has. Rumored to be between 20 and 25 million.

That’s my understanding of it too. And if it’s only 20 million I’ll be seriously p*ssed off. Given that we had a net spend of around 5 million last year, Rafa should get at least 30 plus sales. But I suppose until a takeover that’s not going to happen.

How much would that cost? Suppose then liverpool would reimburse him with a sizable signing on fee?

How much would that cost? Suppose then liverpool would reimburse him with a sizable signing on fee?

i think it's a years wages. Probably 3 or 4 million for Barry. And yeah i'd imagine he'd negotiate pretty favourable terms for himself.

• Advertisement

i think it's a years wages. Probably 3 or 4 million for Barry. And yeah i'd imagine he'd negotiate pretty favourable terms for himself.
    Jeez imagine getting him for that worth the wait.

nothing to back it up, but i would honestly be surprised if a big club took advantage of a player buying his contract out. I reckon most top clubs would avoid doing it in an unspoken understanding that stops other clubs from targeting their players in the same way. I know Fergie said as much earlier this season.

Jeez imagine getting him for that worth the wait.

i wouldn't hold your breath. I can't think of any high profile cases of it ever happening. We'll probably end up paying 8 million or something for him

nothing to back it up, but i would honestly be surprised if a big club took advantage of a player buying his contract out. I reckon most top clubs would avoid doing it in an unspoken understanding that stops other clubs from targeting their players in the same way. I know Fergie said as much earlier this season.

your probably right. But he could at least threaten to do it, forcing Villa to lower their asking price.

your probably right. But he could at least threaten to do it, forcing Villa to lower their asking price.

True - if he does go this summer, I reckon it will be for about 8 to 10million. Don't really get why Liverpool would buy him though, unless the profit they think they could make between buying him for that kind of price and selling Alonso is worth the drop in quality in that position. Also, I don't see Alonso going for big money either, not because he would not be worth it but i don't think potential clubs will have it. The recession will bite harder outside of the UK imo, with the massive TV deal insulating the english clubs.

EDIT: Of course, selling Alonso might not be part of the plan at all, but i don't think both are needed in the squad and I don't think you could keep both happy.

I think he has to do it within two weeks of the season ending, or two weeks into the final year of his contract. Something like that anyway.

If it threatens it he won't have long before he will have to follow up on that threat.

• Advertisement

True - if he does go this summer, I reckon it will be for about 8 to 10million. Don't really get why Liverpool would buy him though, unless the profit they think they could make between buying him for that kind of price and selling Alonso is worth the drop in quality in that position.

to improve their squad.

True - if he does go this summer, I reckon it will be for about 8 to 10million. Don't really get why Liverpool would buy him though, unless the profit they think they could make between buying him for that kind of price and selling Alonso is worth the drop in quality in that position. Also, I don't see Alonso going for big money either, not because he would not be worth it but i don't think potential clubs will have it. The recession will bite harder outside of the UK imo, with the massive TV deal insulating the english clubs.

EDIT: Of course, selling Alonso might not be part of the plan at all, but i don't think both are needed in the squad and I don't think you could keep both happy.

i'm not factoring the sale of Alonso into this at all. We've only got 3 central midfielders - Mascherano, Alonso and Lucas. Gerrard is probably now considered a second striker. Look at the depth Utd have there - Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Fletcher and even Giggs. That's why we need Barry or another CM without selling Alonso

to improve their squad.

Too big a signing for mere squad improvement - the signing would demand a first team place imo, and that would seem to be at the expense of Alonso for the most part. I think Alonso is a far better player so if Barry was to take his place it would indeed improve the squad, but have a negative effect on the quality of the first team, again imo. I think if Barry is bought, Alonso will be sold, gut feeling, and that in no way improves anything, other than liverpools ability to cope with the potential 6+5 rule, or better able to handle champions league registration. Maybe they are the reasons, don't know.

Too big a signing for mere squad improvement - the signing would demand a first team place imo, and that would seem to be at the expense of Alonso for the most part. I think Alonso is a far better player so if Barry was to take his place it would indeed improve the squad, but have a negative effect on the quality of the first team, again imo. I think if Barry is bought, Alonso will be sold, gut feeling, and that in no way improves anything, other than liverpools ability to cope with the potential 6+5 rule, or better able to handle champions league registration. Maybe they are the reasons, don't know.

too big a signing? United have 3 central midfielders who cost over 15 million. And other very expensive players who don't command an automatic place in the team. That's the way football has gone.

PS: Just remembered who i want us to sign - Hleb. I think he'd be perfect.

• Advertisement

Plenty of games for him at Liverpool. Look at united this season.

Carrick - 38 (6) games, Anderson - 33 (8) , Scholes - 31 (10) , Fletcher 37 (5). All have played plenty and I have no doubt Barry would get enough game time to keep him happy between Mascherano, Alonso, and Lucas.

Also he wants CL football, meaning (for next year anyway) he has to be playing for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, or United. Would he be any more regular in those teams. Maybe Arsenal but at each of the other clubs he would be rotated just as much. If he wants CL football he has to accept the rotation, or sit it out at Villa and hope they get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

With Babel probably on the way out Barry would cover the left midfield postion, central midfield or left back in an emergency. I think he'd get plenty of games.
    Alonso should be as unsellable as Torres or Gerrard after the season he's had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On Barry, I'm of the opinion that he could potentially go on a Webster ruling. There are others who don't agree and there is a thread below where it is discussed in detail. Even if he doesn't go on a Webster ruling, the fact that he possibily can will drag his price down, as it weakens Villa's positon quite a bit.

Pretty sure it came out last summer that his basic wage was £42k p.w.
    If he did go on a Webster he/whatever club bought him would have to buy out the remainder of his contract which would be £2,184,000 = £42k by 52 weeks. Assuming the wage figure is correct this is the lowest possible price that Villa would get for him.

I'm be expecting Liverpool to be looking to pay between £5m and £7m, given their original offer last year was £10m. Much more than that and they would be paying too high a premium over the lowest possible amount.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514415&highlight=Webster

I wonder could we raid some of the relegated sides for some cheap players in the summer:

West brom - No thank you
    Middlesbrough - Tuncay i would take in a second.
    Newcastle - Jonas, Beye, Bassong, Martins
    Hull - no thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I also don't think it's a case of getting Barry means selling Alonso.

Last season it was a case of Rafa having to sell Alonso if he wanted to buy Barry. I really don't think it's the case this season.

If Barry arrived he would surely be above Lucas in the pecking order. Lucas has appeared in 35 games this seaon for Liverpool. That means even without affecting Masch or Alonso one bit he could have a pretty decent chunk of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some big name players are going to have to be a bit more philosophical if they want to play for CL teams, sure you may sit on the bench a bit but think of the glory when it comes.

That's cause we haven't put in a bid.....yet.

We haven't denied the talks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think he will sign a new contract.
    He's possibly the best finisher in the world, he's irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Samuel Eto'o has made it clear that he has no intention of leaving Barcelona this summer and claimed that the Catalans have the best attacking force in the world.

The Cameroonian international has been at the heart of Barcelona's brilliant form this season and is their current top-scorer in La Primera.

However, with his contract running out next summer, there have been reports that he could be tempted with a move away from the Camp Nou.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Eto'o assured fans that he is not thinking about leaving Barcelona.

"Let me ask you something," he began.

"If you were playing in this Barcelona team, the way it is playing, would you want to leave for anywhere else in the world?"

"If you think about that question logically, you will get your answer. But just to be clear, I have no intention of leaving.

"For me, we have the best attacking force in world football. It is an honour to play in this team with so much talent. I have been very pleased with my own scoring form this season but it remains that I could not reach the levels I do without so much talent around me.

"The service I get is exceptional and we play with no fear. Some of the players in Barcelona’s attack will go down in football history and sometimes you need to take a minute and have a think about just how special this team is."

Barcelona have won plenty of plaudits for their football this season and along with Eto'o, Lionel Messi has been at the centre of most of their stunning play.

Eto'o has plenty of praise for the Argentine forward and even believes that he could be one of the best players of all time.

"I am convinced he will not go down as one of the best players of his generation, but as one of the best who has ever lived," said the striker.
    "People will still be talking about him in 50 years, saying, 'I once saw Messi play', and that 'he was the greatest player I have ever seen', of that I am sure.

"Some of the things you see him do in training and on the pitch just make you stand back and wonder how it is possible. But he does not conduct himself as if he is the best player in the world.

"He is very humble and just wants to play football and maybe he even gets a little bit shy when people say such great things about him."

always bad when an interview with the Daily Mail is your best argument.

• Advertisement

Sceptic cat was sceptical alright from our end until the article in The Times came about. They tend to be fairly reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol

If I was Eto'o I couldn't see any reason to leave Barca tbh, certainly not for rainy shíthole Manchester.

Still, if I was Eto'o then Eto'o wouldn't be as certifiably insane so who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,008 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

keane2097 wrote: »
    lol

If I was Eto'o I couldn't see any reason to leave Barca tbh, certainly not for rainy shíthole Manchester.

Still, if I was Eto'o then Eto'o would be certifiably insane so who knows...
    Fyp.

lol

Still, if I was Eto'o then Eto'o wouldn't be as certifiably insane so who knows...

:confused: If you were Eto'o, Eto'o would not be Eto'o, Eto'o would be you.

Direct quotes mate... Direct quotes... The whole fact that Eto'o is in a team now fighting for 3 distinguised trophies as opposed to mid-table mediocrity is enough of an argument for Eto staying at Barca as opposed to moving to City.

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: If you were Eto'o, Eto'o would not be Eto'o, Eto'o would be you.

Oh god what have I started...

My point is Eto'o is a bit of a loose cannon so who knows what way his mind will work re:moving in the summer...

*facepalm*

eZe^ wrote: »
    Direct quotes mate... Direct quotes... The whole fact that Eto'o is in a team now fighting for 3 distinguised trophies as opposed to mid-table mediocrity is enough of an argument for Eto staying at Barca as opposed to moving to City.

bubble(1).jpg

Thanks man :(

Oh god what have I started...

My point is Eto'o is a bit of a loose cannon so who knows what way his mind will work re:moving in the summer...

*facepalm*

I know what you meant. :)
    He's a Billy big bollocks, thats all. But he should be happy enough playing for the best team in the world.

Xavi, I'll cut you a deal ok? Get us David Villa and you can have Eto'o for free alright? :D

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Xavi, I'll cut you a deal ok? Get us David Villa and you can have Eto'o for free alright? :D

Think that would be an improvement?

Advertisement