Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eZe^ wrote: »
    Xavi, I'll cut you a deal ok? Get us David Villa and you can have Eto'o for free alright? :D

Keep Eto'o and give them Henry. They'll be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

eZe^ wrote: »
    Direct quotes mate... Direct quotes... The whole fact that Eto'o is in a team now fighting for 3 distinguised trophies as opposed to mid-table mediocrity is enough of an argument for Eto staying at Barca as opposed to moving to City.

euro_pile_5.jpg

this could also be a reason for him to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

euro_pile_5.jpg

He'd want to be getting a massive deal at City to go, with the new 50% tax bracket footballers in England are going to see a rather large drop in their very large wage packets. I reckon, with the way the tax is a smaller Barca contract could see him coming out with more money. Of course, City have a basically bottomless pit pf cash so that argument might be void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

keane2097 wrote: »
    Think that would be an improvement?

Yes, I think Villa is the best striker on the planet.
    euro_pile_5.jpg

He's probably the best paid striker in world football bar Ibrahimovic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.france24.com/en/20090428-hughes-denies-man-city-move-etoo
    Hughes denies Man City move for Eto'o

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes on Tuesday denied that the club had begun talks with Barcelona aimed at bringing Samuel Eto'o to the English Premier League club.

A meeting between City chief executive Garry Cook and Barca President Joan Laporta in London on Monday triggered a flurry of reports suggesting a 40-million-pound bid (58 million dollars) for the Cameroon striker was in the offing.

But Hughes claimed the talks were simply part of an effort to establish closer links to Europe's top clubs following the takeover of City by the Abu Dhabi United Group, who financed last year's 32-million-pound acquisition of Robinho.

"There has been speculation about players all year," Hughes told Manchester radio station Key103. "It is something that we accept and has become predictable.

"The meeting was not about individuals but how both clubs can help each other.

"As a club, we are trying to get relationships with clubs who would not previously have passed the time of day with us.

"Now, because of Sheikh Mansour (club backer, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan) they want to have a relationship and talk about plans that would benefit both clubs. We are aiming to have this kind of relationship with all top clubs in Europe."

Eto'o, 28, is under contract with Barca until the end of next season but has yet to sign a new four-year deal the club have offered him, suggesting he may be thinking about moving on.

So it's all a smokescreen for a business deal that will see us help each other out. In other words, we're swapping Vassell for Messi in June :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So it's all a smokescreen for a business deal that will see us help each other out. In other words, we're swapping Vassell for Messi in June :pac:

Surely it would have to be Messi plus cash incentives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If you were the owners would you be telling Hughes anything? I very much doubt he'll be there next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I wouldn't get rid of him just yet, not doing too badly, remember City only got in Uefa Cup this season through the Fair Play thingie wasnt it?

Some solid buys this summer and City will be a much better proposition next season, just need to build the team around Stephen Ireland I think.

If we finish 7th then Hughes will be kept for another year.

If not then who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

If we finish 7th then Hughes will be kept for another year.

If not then who knows?

With United winning the CC and either Chelsea, or Everton winning the FA Cup don't 7th AND 8th get a European place. I'm presuming thats what will keep him in the job if it does.

And another year is optimistic at best. He will be given the summer, but if things start going bad early next year he could be gone quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

With United winning the CC and either Chelsea, or Everton winning the FA Cup don't 7th AND 8th no get a European place. I'm presuming thats what will keep him in the job if it does.

And another year is optimistic at best. He will be given the summer, but if things start going bad early next year he could be gone quickly.

There's only 3 UEFA cup places in England. 5th, CC winners and FA Cup winners.

CC passed to league, and if Everton finish in top 6, then the next place in league will get europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He'd want to be getting a massive deal at City to go, with the new 50% tax bracket footballers in England are going to see a rather large drop in their very large wage packets.

Its not really new though, it has only gone up by 5%,

which i agree is a lot of money when me and you look at it, but not relative to what they will still take home.

Was there not talk of the wages being offered to Kaka being after tax anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Why would Liverpool want Tevez? He's a poor mans Kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

David Villa rumoured to be going to practically every major club in Europe :D

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    David Villa rumoured to be going to practically every major club in Europe :D

and a few minor ones too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Aren't footballers in spain counted as artists and hence don't pay tax? Maybe someone was feeding me grade a bull but I heard that before so city would have to ineffect double his wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Aren't footballers in spain counted as artists and hence don't pay tax? Maybe someone was feeding me grade a bull but I heard that before so city would have to ineffect double his wages?

They pay tax, just a low rate.

FAO Frisbee -

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/04/30/Prem-Barbosa-on-Veloso-future/gnid-50848/
    Agent: City in Veloso talks

by Robin Hackett , 30 April 2009

Manchester City have made an approach for Sporting midfielder Miguel Veloso, according to the player’s agent.

The 22-year-old defensive midfielder has previously been linked with Arsenal and Everton, while Bolton were in talks over a deal during the January transfer window.

And, with Sporting believed to want around £15 million for the Portugal international, it appears Veloso may finally move to The Premier League this summer with City.

Agent Paulo Barbosa said in The Sun: "We have had some talks with Manchester City.

"I am still in contact with the clubs who were interested in January.

"There is an agreement with Sporting that he will leave this summer but we don't have an agreement with any other club about a transfer as yet.

"England is his first choice, and he already speaks good English. Everything is possible at the moment."

:D

So you'll have Kompany, Veloso, De Jong and Zabaleta?

Greedy so and so's...

Kompany will replace Dunne at centre half and Zab will slot in at right back.

A centre midfield of Veloso, De Jong, Ireland and Elano is quite juicy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ireland is crap, ye should sell him

...to United....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kompany will replace Dunne

Where is Dunne going? :confused:

A centre midfield of Veloso, De Jong, Ireland and Elano is quite juicy though.

Very much so.
    you'd expect Ireland and Elano to start most games then Veloso and De Jong rotate in that holding role?

A top top forward and another winger to put competition to Robinho, SWP and Petrov and that's the nucleus of a very good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Des wrote: »
    Xavi doesn't rate Dunne too highly. Dunne is better than Kompany or any centre half at City by far.

Trap said O'Shea is a good partner for Dunne because Dunne needs a calm player beside him. He certainly hasn't got that in Richards or Onuoha. Dunne with the right partner is one of the best centre halves in the league. No shame in needing the right player beside you.

Des wrote: »

Well there's strong rumours that he'll be off in the summer.
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Xavi doesn't rate Dunne too highly.

Not true. On his day he's one of the best around. However, his mistakes are undeniable, and costly.
    Dunne is better than Kompany or any centre half at City by far.

Also not true. Kompany is superb at centre half, as is England under 21 captain Onouha.
    Trap said O'Shea is a good partner for Dunne because Dunne needs a calm player beside him. He certainly hasn't got that in Richards or Onuoha. Dunne with the right partner is one of the best centre halves in the league. No shame in needing the right player beside you.

Not being smart but how much of Onouha have you actually seen? If it wasn't for injuries he would have been Dunne's partner as soon as Distin left. He's a better player than Richards, and that has been the opinion for a long time now. He is our centre half for the future, and if anything we need someone to play alongside him and not Dunne.

Probably best to get a partner for Dunne because in the premiership probably only Vidic beats Dunne for dominance imo, if he even does. I just have memories of Dunne's man of the match upon man of the match performances against Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. when Distin was there.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Probably best to get a partner for Dunne because in the premiership probably only Vidic beats Dunne for dominance imo, if he even does. I just have memories of Dunne's man of the match upon man of the match performances against Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. when Distin was there.

But those performances are exactly that - memories.

He hasn't played to that, admittedly very high, standard in quite some time. Don't get me wrong, Dunne is an absolute club legend, and rightly so, but there comes a time when you have to move on.

Look at Ferguson when he sold Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince. Everyone said he was crazy because they were integral parts of that team. IMO us getting rid of Dunne in the summer would be something similar to that, and could well be a good move if he is properly replaced, and we certainly have the resources to do so.

But those performances are exactly that - memories.

He hasn't played to that, admittedly very high, standard in quite some time.
    We can see him with Ireland though where his standards are as high as ever. The first half of last season for City he was as good as ever. Not at his best since then but he will be back to that with the right partner. I'd love to see him stay at City next season because he's more than good enough.

I think he was motm again in Anfield a couple of months ago when City played with 3 relatively defensive midfielders. I don't think any of the City defence has been helped at all with some of the teams Hughes has put out. It's no surprise he was sent off in that nightmare in Cyprus and some of Hughes teams haven't been far off that for lack of balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I think there is a few players to be harvesterd from Sunderland, Newcastle, and Middlesboro, should two of them join WBA.

Downing, Hoyte, Wheater, Jones, Tuncay, Huth and Arca, would be individual assets to any team. Most of them have been shown up as limited as a result of the crap they have had to contend with up at Boro.

Martins, Gereimi, Stephan Taylor, and to a lesser extent (given their injuries, Owen and Duff) could be useful and cheap acquisitions. Joey Barton would be a fantastic bargain buy, if he wasnt such a toe rag.

Richardson, Cisse, Malbranque, Whitehead, McCartney and Kenwyne Jones would all command decent fees from Sunderland, and I wouldnt mind West Ham taking one or two of them !

Comprare this with Giovanni (who is a liability), and Boateng (who is over the hilll), and micheal Turner...Hull would be of no benefit to anybody should they go down.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »

Richardson, Cisse, Malbranque, Whitehead, McCartney and Kenwyne Jones would all command decent fees from Sunderland, and I wouldnt mind West Ham taking one or two of them !

I have been to the majority of Sunderland's home games this season,

Id agree with Richardson and McCartney,

They don't own Cisse, and the deal put in place is a bit too expensive now considering how close the Euro is to Sterling.

Regardless of that i wouldn't touch Cisse or Jones, they certainly don't work together, Cisse hasn't improved on anything from his previous premiership experience.

Jones is the most self centered lazy footballer i have ever seen, and given his height and physique he has a terrible presence in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently Inter are interested in signing Jenas :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Apparently Inter are interested in signing Jenas :confused:

He was linked earlier in the season as well. Apparently Mourinho had put him in his fantasy football team and the speculation originated from that (no joke).

So I expect this is probably not founded on much this time as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/SerieA/Juventus/07-05-2009/blitz-notte-50377494950.shtml

Diego to Juventus pretty much confirmed now. I haven't seen too much of him but if he's as good as I hear he is, he might be the player Juve need to properly challenge Inter next season and re-establish themselves as a force in European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I wouldn't believe that Diego Story, especially as it has leaked that Bayern have met with Diego and his Manager only on Monday. I am not sure how often in the last few months it was reported that the transfer to Juve was a done deal. But it never was.

One of his Managers came out only yesterday stating that he won't move to Juve, as they couldn't afford the 30 mil. fee and that they also wouldn't be able to meet his wage demands.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/05/07/1251132/werder-bremen-bayern-munich-will-battle-juventus-for-diego

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5297966,00.html

Diego milito to a london club hopefully spurs his agents in talks at the moment in london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5297966,00.html

Diego milito to a london club hopefully spurs his agents in talks at the moment in london

i don't understand why Spurs would buy another forward. Keane, Defore, Bent and Pavaluchenko is well balanced. Even if Bent or Pav are sold, i wouldn't be spending big money on a position that's not a problem area. Surely they aren't going to neglect their weaknesses at centre back, full back and central midfield?

i don't understand why Spurs would buy another forward. Keane, Defore, Bent and Pavaluchenko is well balanced. Even if Bent or Pav are sold, i wouldn't be spending big money on a position that's not a problem area. Surely they aren't going to neglect their weaknesses at centre back, full back and central midfield?
    Well with Hutton back we have competition for places everywhere but left fullback,left mid and center mid there the only places i'd really like to see improved but if Bent goes looking for more regular football we would probably need to replace him we still have to see if harry can get keane and defo working well together.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5298100,00.html

Raul linked to a massive deal to bring him to citeh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5298100,00.html

Raul linked to a massive deal to bring him to citeh.

Always wise to note the source when Marca are involved:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Link below to a list of players in the EPL whose loans or contracts are up this summer.

Some of the more interesting names. Expect some of these names to feature strongly in the transfer talk this summer.

Carlos Tévez - loan ends
    Michael Ballack - contract ends
    Ricardo Quaresma - loan ends ; contract at Inter
    Shevchenko - loan at Milan ends ; one year left on contract at Chelsea
    Michael Owen - contract ends
    Tomas Rosicky - contract ends
    Jo - loan at Everton ends; contract at Man City
    Djibril Cisse - loan at Sunderland ends; contract at Marseille
    Amir Zaki - loan at Wigan ends
    Jermaine Pennant - contract ends
    Lucas Neill - contract ends
    Darius Vassel - contract ends
    Michael Ball - contract ends
    Daniel Sturridge - contract ends
    Olivier Dacourt - contract ends
    Dietmar Hamann - contract ends
    Mark Viduka - contract ends
    Ross Turnbull - contract ends

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/vertragsende/GB1/2008/aktuelle_saison/alle/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Will Rosicky get a new contract?

Smegball wrote: »
    Will Rosicky get a new contract?

I'd say he might get a 1 year contract to see how he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd say he might get a 1 year contract to see how he goes.

I know he's been blighted by injury, but he's an incredible player. He'd be perfect as the floater between the lines that Rafa's been looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Chelsea to pay off the last year of Sheva's contract and let him Join Milan for free.

Not bad business from Milan, Loaned him to Chelski for 2 years for 37million. =D

Have to say i'm very interested to see how chelsea do over the summer with Abromovich losing BILLIONS in the financial crisis they will probably have to sell to buy but the players are so old surely they can't make that much and they're hardly going to sell essien or lampard. Could be a make or break transfer window for chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Kingdom wrote: »
    I know he's been blighted by injury, but he's an incredible player. He'd be perfect as the floater between the lines that Rafa's been looking for.

there's not a hope in hell that rosicky will turn his back on arsenal at this stage. they've stood by him in all his injury problems and we all know he's had more than his fair share.

if he makes it back he'd be like a world class signing for arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Link below to a list of players in the EPL whose loans or contracts are up this summer.

Some of the more interesting names. Expect some of these names to feature strongly in the transfer talk this summer.

Carlos Tévez - loan ends
    Michael Ballack - contract ends
    Ricardo Quaresma - loan ends ; contract at Inter
    Shevchenko - loan at Milan ends ; one year left on contract at Chelsea
    Michael Owen - contract ends
    Tomas Rosicky - contract ends
    Jo - loan at Everton ends; contract at Man City
    Djibril Cisse - loan at Sunderland ends; contract at Marseille
    Amir Zaki - loan at Wigan ends
    Jermaine Pennant - contract ends
    Lucas Neill - contract ends
    Darius Vassel - contract ends
    Michael Ball - contract ends
    Daniel Sturridge - contract ends
    Olivier Dacourt - contract ends
    Dietmar Hamann - contract ends
    Mark Viduka - contract ends
    Ross Turnbull - contract ends

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/vertragsende/GB1/2008/aktuelle_saison/alle/index.html

I'd take those to Liverpool if I was Benitez.

Has Quaresma got a run out with Chelsea at all? He's not a bad player like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Player who i think may be on the move in the summer is Joe Cole (maybe i'm just wishing)

Would love him at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

slingerz wrote: »
    I'd take those to Liverpool if I was Benitez.

Owen - are you serious?? I'd rather take Zaki to be honest. Quaresma woould be a good buy, provided he could stay injury free, but I'd doubt Rosicky is going anywhere.

And Tevez, well, yes. I'd take him if the offer was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Werder Bremen's Diego has signed for Juventus in a €25million (£22.3m) deal, according to the midfielder's agent.

Giacomo Petralito claims the 24-year-old Brazil international has agreed a five-year contract with the Italian giants and will complete the transfer at the end of the season.

Diego has been an integral part of Uefa Cup finalists Werder's side since arriving from Porto in 2006 and he has been linked with Bayern Munich in the past.

But the player's representative, Petralito, claims his client has opted to leave Germany in order to make a big-money move to Serie A.

Petralito told Kicker: "Diego has signed for Juventus. Everything happened last Wednesday."

Diego, who is suspended for the Uefa Cup final against Shakhtar Donetsk, has scored 33 goals in 87 matches. He has also won 38 caps for Brazil and scored seven times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement