Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

legs11 wrote: »
    Juventus are dog s*** !

He has too much class for them.

And the award for stupidest post of the day goes to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

legs11 wrote: »
    Juventus are dog s*** !

He has too much class for them.
    What would an everton fan know about class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Surely the signing of Diego ends any interest Juventus have in Silva?

There's surely couldn't afford another fee in the region of €20m for a left sided attacking player, could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Bit of Manager transfer news:
    Bruce cleared for Sunderland talks

It is understood that Wigan boss Steve Bruce has been given permission to talk to Sunderland about their managerial vacancy.

The former Manchester United defender has emerged as the front-runner to succeed Ricky Sbragia at the Stadium of Light after the Scot stepped aside at the weekend following his team’s narrow escape from Barclays Premier League relegation.

Reports this morning claimed a compensation package had already been agreed with the Latics, clearing the way for Bruce to discuss personal terms with the Wearsiders.

Sunderland this morning continued to deny that this is the case, although it is understood Wigan could make an official announcement later today.

From breaking news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Bit of Manager transfer news:

From breaking news
    Lets see what bruce can do with 50m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im suprised at bruce.newcastle fan after all.

I dunno what to make of this really.
    In one way I think he is foolish leaving Wigan after all the hard work he has put in and their position compared to Sunderland.
    Suppose money talks, Sunderland have a much larger supporter base, he will have a big transfer budget and is less likely to see all his star players disappear during each transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Headshot wrote: »
    im suprised at bruce.newcastle fan after all.

he's thinking of his managerial career. With the resources Sunderland have this could be his chance to really make an impact.
    I dunno what to make of this really.
    In one way I think he is foolish leaving Wigan after all the hard work he has put in and their position compared to Sunderland.
    Suppose money talks, Sunderland have a much larger supporter base, he will have a big transfer budget and is less likely to see all his star players disappear during each transfer window.

yup, seems to be the case. Long before all this i was hearing rumours about how Bruce was unhappy at Whelan cashing in on his best players. I'd say he could have made his mind up to leave them this summer when they sold Palacios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Surely the signing of Diego ends any interest Juventus have in Silva?

There's surely couldn't afford another fee in the region of €20m for a left sided attacking player, could they?

Spanish players never seem to adapt to Serie A, i doubt juve would risk it unless they got a really good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Didn't think it was worthy of a thread to itself but Ellis Short now owns 100% of Sunderland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

he's thinking of his managerial career. With the resources Sunderland have this could be his chance to really make an impact.

yup, seems to be the case. Long before all this i was hearing rumours about how Bruce was unhappy at Whelan cashing in on his best players. I'd say he could have made his mind up to leave them this summer when they sold Palacios.

Wigan have lost a share of good players recently in Palacios, Heskey and now have the immeninet departure of Valencia.

Could be the reason behind his departure. Also the lure of a transfer kitty to coax players to Sunderland and with the basis of a solid team it does seem like an appealing enough career choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently Chelsea and Man. Utd. are battling it out in a £44 million deal to snap up Ribery.

He's a good player, but £44 million is madness for a player that went for 1/2 that two seasons ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bruce must be frustrated at the thought of bigger clubs plucking any players who become a success at Wigan. Saw an interview with him the other day and he looked totally resigned to losing Valencia.

He's always been terrific in the transfer market, he'll do well with that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Girondins Bordeaux have announced this afternoon they have completed the signing of midfielder Yoann Gourcuff on a four-year deal from AC Milan.

The Frenchman has been on loan with the Ligue 1 side this season and after some match-winning displays they have decided to exercise the option to sign him.

Bordeaux will have the chance to win the French title for the sixth time in their history this weekend and hence will call a press conference confirming the deal after the championship is decided.

There have been some words today though from the president of Bordeaux, Jean-Louis Triaud, who expressed his delight at the purchase.

"Tonight, I am the happiest president. I am thankful for the way the discussions that led to this agreement have been carried out. We are happy to be able to count on a player of such talent and with such human qualities. I am thinking in particular about the team, the club, and also our fans," he told the official Bordeaux website.

Likewise, Gourcuff himself, who won the Ligue 1 player of the year award this season, revealed his happiness at a permanent return to France.

"I am happy to continue my sporting adventure with Girondins. My decision to sign with them has developed throughout the season," he said.

"We have succeeded in not only creating a sporting success but also keeping good relations within the group.

"I learned a lot from my time with AC Milan and I want to thank the players and the club for letting me learn at the highest level."

"The confidence that Laurent Blanc and my team-mates put in me since the start of the season, the club's ambition for the following season, and the support of the fans, have made me make this decision, whilst the economic aspect was not a priority in it."

AC Milan have also briefly commented about the move in an official statement, wishing him good luck for the rest of his career.

sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It is amazing that a team with such and aging midfield didn't give this guy a second chance. Amazing and just so stupid. Teams normally fall over themselves to sign the French player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It is amazing that a team with such and aging midfield didn't give this guy a second chance. Amazing and just so stupid. Teams normally fall over themselves to sign the French player of the year

Sometimes these strange transfers happen. You imagine clubs across Europe are tripping over themselves to sign a player like that and he ends up just staying where he's happy.
    Not the Bordeaux are a bad team or club but it's in the 5th best league in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Gourcuff will go to a bigger club for 25m or so in two or three years probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Smegball wrote: »
    Gourcuff will go to a bigger club for 25m or so in two or three years probably.

He seems a very timid person in the interviews i have seen and was not happy away from France. Perhaps its just age, but i dont think living abroad suited him. Maybe all it will take is a french manager abroad or a core of french players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bruce must be frustrated at the thought of bigger clubs plucking any players who become a success at Wigan. Saw an interview with him the other day and he looked totally resigned to losing Valencia.

He's always been terrific in the transfer market, he'll do well with that kind of money.

Unfortunately for Wigan their profile and the perception of them as a smallish club means they will always lose their best players. But consider where they were just 14 years ago, playing in the old 3rd division (now league 2). They were 8 places from the bottom of the 3rd division at the end of the first season after Dave Whelan took over, and playing in a tip-heap of a stadium which was probably the worst in the whole league.

So it's a remarkable story. Whelan himself was laughed at when he said he wanted to take them all the way to the premiership. It would be like someone taking over Grimsby or Shrewsbury Town now and claiming he'd get them into the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Pter wrote: »
    He seems a very timid person in the interviews i have seen and was not happy away from France. Perhaps its just age, but i dont think living abroad suited him. Maybe all it will take is a french manager abroad or a core of french players.

Arsenal fit the bill, 25 MIL tho??? Not their usual price bracket

I admit I don't see much Russian Football but if Arshavin was €15m how could this guy be €18m

From Breaking news:
    Zhirkov linked with £18m move to Chelsea

Chelsea have reportedly completed their first big-money transfer of the summer.

A Russian newspaper claims the Londoners have paid around £18m to sign Yury Zhirkov from CSKA Moscow.

The midfielder has reportedly agreed a four-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I admit I don't see much Russian Football but if Arshavin was €15m how could this guy be €18m

From Breaking news:

Chelsea Tax.

From Breaking news:

Well he's a star already, hardly unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

JPA wrote: »
    Well he's a star already, hardly unknown.

By people who play FM anyway.

• Advertisement

Zhirkov is amazing player, but bit of a waste really for Chelsea, he won't dislodge Ashley Cole at left back, and Malouda is finally coming into his own now, he showed his true potential for first time end of last season.

Would be great back up for either position though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Zhirkov is amazing player, but bit of a waste really for Chelsea, he won't dislodge Ashley Cole at left back, and Malouda is finally coming into his own now, he showed his true potential for first time end of last season.

Zhirkov on form wouldn't be as good a player as Malouda on form, but his overall consistency and workrate would be a lot higher than Malouda's.

keane2097 wrote: »

Or watch the UEFA cup, European Cheampionships or WC Qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Chelsea buying a player they don't really need? Doesn't sound like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

After loosing bridge, it make sense for them to buy another full back for cover. Chelsea of all of the big teams know how important cover in those positions is having had to depend on the likes of Essien and Ivanovic playing out of position in recent seasons.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Essien:
    Pirlo and Seedorf in Essien swap?
    Saturday 30 May, 2009
    Newspapers suggest Milan will only hand Andrea Pirlo and Clarence Seedorf over to Chelsea in exchange for Michael Essien.

If Carlo Ancelotti is to replace Guus Hiddink on the Stamford Bridge bench next season, it is believed he will try to bring Pirlo and Seedorf with him.

While the Dutchman’s contract expires in 2011 and at age 33 he can no longer attract a huge bid, the same cannot be said of World Cup winner Pirlo.

According to Italian newspapers this morning, Milan value the Azzurri midfielder at around £18m, but would be willing to accept a player exchange.

Expected new Coach Leonardo is eager to bring Ghana star Essien to San Siro and the versatile 26-year-old would be the ideal figure in this swap deal.

Essien would be able to play wide midfield or take the same Pirlo position in front of the defence, bringing more pace and grit to the side.

There is the issue of his non-EU status, as Brazilian defender Thiago Silva has already taken up one spot in Milan’s squad.

This means there is only one new non-EU member allowed into the team next season, so another potential buy – Brazilian Hernanes – would have to be sacrificed.

He can only help but with losing 2 players then there will have to be someone else brought in for milan unless they change the way they play completely. I was hoping Gourcuff would stay and replace Seedorf anyway but with him leaving its pretty much guaranteed that Kaka wont be sold as there would be outrage. A midfield of Gattuso,Essien,Kaka and Fabregas would be pretty special if the rumours are to be believed from ages ago

Swapping one of the worlds best midfielders (imo) for two talented but past it stars, lol.

Swapping one of the worlds best midfielders (imo) for two talented but past it stars, lol.

If they pull this off, it would be deal of the centry. A midfield of Essien and Flamini would be good start towards fixing the Milan team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Err - he was one of the best players in Euro 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fair point that the majority of people know him from FM but he was excellent in the UEFA Cup and Euro 2008.

Tusky wrote: »
    Err - he was one of the best players in Euro 2008.

Milan Baros was top scorer at Euro 2004.

People trying to scorn me while basing their opinions on three weeks of an international tournament is exactly the kind of stupid shít that keeps me coming back to this forum for a laugh every other day tbh.

Guys can we not get back to transfer news....

Pter wrote: »
    Guys can we not get back to transfer news....

Well have you got any?

Well have you got any?

I do, but even if i didnt, come on, stick on topic. Someone insults you or makes fun of you, ignore it and stick to topic. We all agreed to the rules to gain access, and its way too easy for things to spark off in this forum.

'Barcelona star Eidur Gudjohnsen has revealed a number of clubs are keen to lure him back to England. '

Linky

IMO he has been wasted just sitting on the bench at Barcelona (and sometimes when he was at Chelsea too before that) and i really hope he goes to a decent club who will give him decent pitch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Gudjohnsen should move. I think he will go to Atletico if they sell Aguero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/334930/Eastlands-bosses-believe-they-have-clinched-deal.html

MANCHESTER CITY believe they have won a £42million race for Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry.

The richest club in the world are ready to rubber-stamp a £32m deal to steal Tevez away from city rivals United. And they will offer £10m-rated Barry £90,000 a week to see off Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.
    The move for Argentinian striker Tevez, 25, also blows Liverpool and Chelsea out of the chase with City happy to meet Kia Joorabchian's £32m asking price.
    Liverpool's bid for the former West Ham forward was the lowest offer received. Boss Mark Hughes will also pay Tevez nearly £140,000 a week in a four-year deal.

Joorabchian will have one final meeting with Old Trafford chiefs this week to find out whether Sir Alex Ferguson sees Tevez as anything more than a bit-part player.

Those assurances are unlikely - leaving the way clear for City.

Hughes is in the Middle East to talk about transfer targets with City's Abu Dhabi owners and has made it clear he sees Tevez as vital to the club.

City are much further down the road with Tevez than Barry. But they are confident their financial clout will get them the Aston Villa captain.

Liverpool felt they were in pole position after their abortive attempt to land Barry, 28, last summer.

But the Reds are unable to match the Arabs' vast wealth.Barry could yet decide he values Champions League football over money but Eastlands officials are confident of getting their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I got as far as the url and stopped reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I got as far as the url and stopped reading.

That's hilarious, did the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

ya me to the tings the nofworld nos about footballers lifes not how thay play on the fleed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ya me to the tings the nofworld nos about footballers lifes not how thay play on the fleed
    wat

Post of the year

Gareth Barry in talks with Man City.

Aston Villa can confirm today that Gareth Barry is in talks with Manchester City.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1679514,00.html

City are going to end up with a squad of 40 players soon enough.. I am trying to figure out the type of players that they are after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If this is the sort of player we're after then I'm genuinely excited.

Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A midfield pairing of Barry and Ireland with Roubinho working off them will be trouble for any team they play.

Advertisement