Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer talk and rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

None of those three did what was described above. An accurate comparison would be Keegan or Wenger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mike65 wrote: »
    They can't turn Sparky into Del Bosque/Fergerson/Jose

What are you on about mike?
    Hughes is a good manager - if he got Blackburn to 6th I'm pretty sure he can go a couple of steps better with the worlds richest club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

saw some guy ****e-ing on about that Edin Džeko is holding a press conference at noon today, the guy thinks he will be announcing a move to Chelsea.

IF its true its brilliant for Chelsea and they did well to keep it quiet, but he could equally be calling the conference to announce he is staying put in my mind.

Also ancelloti is after Pato apparently http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun02j.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mayordenis wrote: »
    What are you on about mike?
    Hughes is a good manager - if he got Blackburn to 6th I'm pretty sure he can go a couple of steps better with the worlds richest club.

i remember george burley getting ipswich to 5th and mike walker getting norwich to 3rd

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i remember george burley getting ipswich to 5th and mike walker getting norwich to 3rd

Oh well that's it then case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! Different era methinks.

Hughes is a decent manager who might be a very good one one day but not right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

mike65 wrote: »
    LOL! Different era methinks.

Hughes is a decent manager who might be a very good one one day but not right now.

QIA.

City should of done a lot more this season.

Getting the players to gel is one thing, but finishing 10th with a team like that? Come on.

I think Hughes even knows himself if he doesn't achieve top 5 this year he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kurtza wrote: »
    I think Hughes even knows himself if he doesn't achieve top 5 this year he is gone.

Hughes needs to do what Hodgson did with Fulham, basically get in a couple of quality defenders and cut the goals against stat in half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boggles wrote: »
    Hughes needs to do what Hodgson did with Fulham, basically get in a couple of quality defenders and cut the goals against stat in half.

And just as you say that -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8081914.stm
    Carvalho ready to leave Chelsea

Chelsea centre-back Ricardo Carvalho has made it clear he is ready to leave Stamford Bridge this summer in search of first-team football.

The Portugal international, 31, is unhappy that he made only 18 appearances for the Blues last season.

"I have had four extraordinary years at Chelsea until this year, which has not been very good - indeed it was the worst of my career," he said.

"I am available for a club who wishes to have me."

Carvalho joined Chelsea from Porto in July 2004 for a fee of about £20m and has played 174 times for the club, helping them to win two Premier League titles, two League Cups and an FA Cup.

But he was hampered by injuries last season, suffering knee ligament damage and a thigh problem that kept him out for almost two months.

Carvalho admitted "I wasn't in great shape" but insisted it was because he had not played many matches.

Looking to the future, he added: "I am delighted that several clubs are interested in me. But before being approached, an agreement must be found with Chelsea."

Carvalho last played for Chelsea in the 4-4 draw with Liverpool in the Champions League quarter-final second leg on 14 April.

And he appeared to be out of favour under interim Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, prompting his declaration of intent to move on.

However, Carvalho appeared to leave the door open for reassessment under incoming manger Carlo Ancelotti, who officially takes over on 1 July.

"If there is no transfer, I will be fine at Chelsea," he said

Absolutely top drawer defender. Come Hughesie, get on it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Now that's a defender to partner Richie Dunne! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think Carvalho was pandering more to Real Madrid, there are known to be looking for a centre half.

I'd like Carvalho to stay in them prem though, he's a sly bollix who's great at making making those small crucial fouls out of the referee's sight, but he's a good ball playing centre half when he's not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I think Carvalho was pandering more to Real Madrid, there are known to be looking for a centre half.

I'd like Carvalho to stay in them prem though, he's a sly bollix who's great at making making those small crucial fouls out of the referee's sight, but he's a good ball playing centre half when he's not ;)

Carvalho is the sort of person madrid need instead of ronaldo and kaka who would probably clash, they should be looking at the defence which was torn apart so easily by liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Portsmouth defender Glen Johnson will move back to Chelsea this week in a deal worth £16m. (Various)

Can a Chelsea fan or anyone else shed any light on why Chelsea would sign Johnson when they have a better player in Bosingwa? Or is it BS?

I disagree, i think johnson is the best right back in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

curry-muff wrote: »

Sagna,boswinga

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

even the aged Gary Neville trumps johnson.

nooooooooooooooooooooo he doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

curry-muff wrote: »

Rafael ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Bosingwa isn't good defensively. He isn't strong enough to make up for his small frame.
    He's over rated imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is antonio Valencia really worth 16+million? as apparenly Utd and Madrid have both bid that for the Wigan/Ecuador AM. He is quality but that seems a bit much, but really does show what a great signing he was by Bruce

• Advertisement

Is antonio Valencia really worth 16+million? as apparenly Utd and Madrid have both bid that for the Wigan/Ecuador AM. He is quality but that seems a bit much, but really does show what a great signing he was by Bruce

we've been debating this in the utd thread and most utd fans arent that happy with valencia coming to utd

he's not worth 16+ million but thats the market for ya these days

just shows what a brilliant job Bruce did at Wigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

No way is he worth that much but then again remember Diarra from Portsmouth! What was it, 20million?! :eek: And don't get me started on Utd, Veron 30million, Berba 30million. Both of them are used to spending ridiculous amounts for sub-par players! :p

No way is he worth that much but then again remember Diarra from Portsmouth! What was it, 20million?! :eek: And don't get me started on Utd, Veron 30million, Berba 30million. Both of them are used to spending ridiculous amounts for sub-par players! :p

newbies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Ah come on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sorry, this is just too stupid to ignore - Veron sub par?

Veron was world class and worth every penny United spent on him. He was right up there with Zidane when we signed him.

It didn't work out for him at United/in England - but he was wold class in Italy and for years with Argentina. To call him sub-par is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sorry, this is just too stupid to ignore - Veron sub par?

Veron was world class and worth every penny United spent on him. He was right up there with Zidane when we signed him.

It didn't work out for him at United/in England - but he was wold class in Italy and for years with Argentina. To call him sub-par is a joke.

Veron was unreal when he came to England and by all accounts from Argentina unreal when he left. He was also great in Europe for United, the league just didn't suit him. Keep in mind he drove Lazio to only their second league title in the most competative league I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Veron was unreal when he came to England and by all accounts from Argentina unreal when he left. He was also great in Europe for United, the league just didn't suit him. Keep in mind he drove Lazio to only their second league title in the most competative league I've ever seen

iirc correctly Ferguson used to deploy him in a deeper role than he used have at Lazio which partly contributed to his poor form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just heard on SSN that the sheikh looking to buy portsmouth wants who to become manager???

340x.jpg

can you imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

SlickRic wrote: »
    just heard on SSN that the sheikh looking to buy portsmouth wants who to become manager???

340x.jpg

can you imagine...
    No

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

TalkSHITE claiming Tevez to City is a done deal.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I hate them almost as much as marca :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »

heard similar a few places this morning.

AC milan are getting raped clean of their players

ssn are saying

pato "im holding talks with chelsea new manager Carlo Ancelotti"

Headshot wrote: »
    AC milan are getting raped clean of their players

ssn are saying

pato "im holding talks with chelsea new manager Carlo Ancelotti"

Surely that would be tapping up.... where is the media outcry? If it was "I'm holding talks with united manager Alex Ferguson" everyone would be going mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Surely that would be tapping up.... where is the media outcry? If it was "I'm holding talks with united manager Alex Ferguson" everyone would be going mental.

nobody said Milan haven't given them permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Villa have registered an official interest in Owen. Heskey gave O'Neill a nudge yesterday I see.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/09/michael-owen-aston-villa-salary-cut

nobody said Milan hasn't given them permission.

nobody said they have. I maintain that if it was Ferguson, it would be guilty til proven otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If it was tapping up Gallaini would be all over the place calling Chelsea disrespectfull and there is no way in hell ht eplayer would openly talk about it in the media.

Milan have agreed a contract with Dzeko and should agree a fee with Wolfsburg by friday.

Gallaini was in Sarajevo on saturday and sunday with the Player and his agent.

Atleats we are looking at good young players to replace anyone who leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

rumours of villa to madrid for €38million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

event wrote: »

Randy Lerner will never sell.

nobody said they have. I maintain that if it was Ferguson, it would be guilty til proven otherwise.

to be fair though, of course you would :rolleyes:

it's fans who perpetuate it, if and when the issue comes up; probably fans who don't like utd.

i honestly don't remember the media or world at large having a go at Fergie over 'tapping up' any more than most other managers caught in similar positions when similar quotes come out. you seem to be thinking of lots of stuff i can't remember; some anti-Ferguson agenda the world somehow has.

i'll happily be proved wrong.

just as ferguson has had it in the past...
    mourinho had it.
    wenger has had it.
    moratti gets it at inter.
    madrid get it, obviously, as their track record is abysmal.

i'm sure i could think of more.

it's not an anti-utd agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

event wrote: »
    Thank God Chelsea didn't get him

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/06/09/1314427/real-madrid-agree-fee-with-valencia-for-david-villa-report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Goal.com reporting from Marca, pinch of salt :)

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    Goal.com reporting from Marca, pinch of salt :)

and then some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seaneh wrote: »
    If it was tapping up Gallaini would be all over the place calling Chelsea disrespectfull and there is no way in hell ht eplayer would openly talk about it in the media.

Lol at worst attempt at spelling the word "the" I've ever seen :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

AC milan are trying to drop there wage bill considerable so it's quite possible they have given permission.

In other news van nistelrooy and Atletico Madrid captain Maxi Rodriguez to spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Phil Babb to Liverpool, fee undisclosed.

Atletico Madrid captain Maxi Rodriguez to spurs

I refuse to believe that ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement