Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Social Welfare Office: dun laoghaire
    Social Welfare Payment: jobseekers allowance
    Application Date: 16-jun-2011
    Date informed of means test appointment, if applicable*:
    Date of means test appointment: didnt have one.. just dropped in my bank statements etc
    Weeks from Application to Payment: 7 weeks

I was plesantly surprised to get a slip in the post this week saying I have to sign on this coming tuesday, last time I went in to drop in my bank statements (4 weeks ago now) they said I could be waiting up to 6 weeks for a means test meeting, and then same again after that regarding the result. I never had a meeting I guess they were satisfied with what I supplied to them. I guess it pays off to be very meticulous and provide every little financial detail.

what a great day for me, and therefore of course, the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CandyFromABaby

Social Welfare Office: Bishop's Square
    Social Welfare Payment: JSA - "casual" (I get work 2 days/wk)
    Application Date: 09-03-11
    Date of means test appointment: Not sure what exactly this means but I had an appointment with an inspector where he went through all my documents - that was back at start of May
    Weeks from Application to Payment: (Almost) five MONTHS and counting :mad: :eek:

Surely there is something wrong here?? I have been in every week to hand in my "X and O" form and have gone to the "decisions" hatch about 5 times (the first of these about 10 weeks ago) asking what the hold up is....each time I have been given the same response "we are just waiting for the supervisor to sign it off". Surely it can't take 10 weeks to sign a piece of paper?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Social Welfare Office: Bishop's Square
    Social Welfare Payment: JSA - "casual" (I get work 2 days/wk)
    Application Date: 09-03-11
    Date of means test appointment: Not sure what exactly this means but I had an appointment with an inspector where he went through all my documents - that was back at start of May
    Weeks from Application to Payment: (Almost) five MONTHS and counting :mad: :eek:

Surely there is something wrong here?? I have been in every week to hand in my "X and O" form and have gone to the "decisions" hatch about 5 times (the first of these about 10 weeks ago) asking what the hold up is....each time I have been given the same response "we are just waiting for the supervisor to sign it off". Surely it can't take 10 weeks to sign a piece of paper?! :(

can you ring the inspector's office? It's usually a different number to the regular office, and it should be on the letter you got detailing the date of your means test and the documents you should bring with you. I had a delay after my means test so I called that number instead, since the people I spoke to all said that the inspectors are kinda seperate to them. You might be lucky and get the person you dealt with, or like me get someone who can authorise it over the phone. Good luck, that's a dreadful wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

This is an extremely depressing thread, I never imagined the waiting times would be this farcical.

I applied last week in the Maynooth office and was told I have to wait for a means test because I've shares in a company I cofounded (that are for all practical purposes completely worthless.)

To make matters worse I have to be out of the address I'm living at now at the end of the month and can only support myself for another 8 weeks.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

hi sea sharp
    While you are waiting for jobseekers allowance go to your local community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance in the interim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

eastbono wrote: »
    hi sea sharp
    While you are waiting for jobseekers allowance go to your local community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance in the interim.

Thanks for the information / peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Social Welfare Office: Cork City
    Social Welfare Payment: Jobseekers Allowance
    Application Date: 4th July
    Date of means test appointment: I don't think I had one, although after I made my claim I was asked a few questions on the same day in a room in the same building.
    Weeks from Application to Payment: 5 weeks

The delay was my fault as I wasn't able to get my P45 until July 31st.

Question: Will the payment be backdated to when I applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 1Marlo1

Social Welfare Office- Bishops Square.
    JSA claim, missed JSB by 2 weeks.
    Sign on date 14 weeks ago.
    Means tested 10 weeks ago.
    Result-Still pending.
    I ring every 2/3 days and get told the same answer still pending, I asked to speak to someone in decisions and was told they are waiting for the inspector to decide, "its in a big box waiting for him to get to it, he is very busy" was the exact quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leannejoshua

Social Welfare Office: Roscommon
    Social Welfare Payment: Job seekers allowance
    Application Date: 13 jun 2011
    Date informed of means test appointment, if applicable*:N/A
    Date of means test appointment: 1st July
    Weeks from Application to Payment: 8 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Social Welfare Office: Cork City
    Social Welfare Payment: Job Seekers Allowance
    Application Date: 18th May
    Date informed of means test appointment: none to date

12 weeks since I applied. Thankfully the community welfare officer arranged payments for me since the middle of June but I am still waiting to hear from the Social Welfare Office. They sent me a letter requesting bank statements around 6 weeks ago but haven't heard anything since. It's grand that I'm still getting paid money but it means I can't apply for any of the internships or courses that come up despite it being 3 months since I've been unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leonais

Social Welfare Office- Limerick, Dominic ST
    JSA claim
    Sign on date 7 March
    Means tested 14 March
    Result-Still pending. And I'm asking myself- am I living in Narnia? Maybe this is the reason for long waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Social Welfare Office: Longford
    JSA claim
    Sign on date: 2 June
    Means tested: Mid june?
    Result: got the letter today after contracting them about the issue lsat week. It seems to say that I'm entitled to 188 per week despite being under 25, that's hardly right?

Social Welfare Office: Longford
    JSA claim
    Sign on date: 2 June
    Means tested: Mid june?
    Result: got the letter today after contracting them about the issue lsat week. It seems to say that I'm entitled to 188 per week despite being under 25, that's hardly right?

It depends if you were on JSB and your benefit exhausted you would AFAIK. If not then there is an error so it would be best to bring it to their attention.

17 weeks of insurable implement and 15 of subclass A in my last part time job, which was across 2009.

How long did you work for in 2009 and did you work in 2008

eastbono wrote: »
    How long did you work for in 2009 and did you work in 2008

No real clue about 2009, was pretty scattered, all of summer (about 12 weeks there with some more bits and pieces all over the place).

Worked close to full time hours from january to september in 2008 but there was a lot of unpaid overtime type crap, bits and pieces from september til december.

Only worked the last three months of 2007.

Thanks for the assistance, by the way!

Sounds like you have been awarded jobseekers benefit and are entitled to it. Would have said on the letter you got out about awarding what you got. And no prob with the help... just glad its sorted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ejj

I waited 10 days for my claim in Tipperary and 14 weeks for my rent allowance.The reason for 14 weeks was the backlog and the town council has to approve it first.

I finally got a letter today telling me to collect €188 from the PO on Tuesday and that my 4 months backdated amount will be paid after.
    Does anyone know how long this usually takes to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

1Marlo1 wrote: »
    I finally got a letter today telling me to collect €188 from the PO on Tuesday and that my 4 months backdated amount will be paid after.
    Does anyone know how long this usually takes to be paid.

Did you have to go to the Community Welfare Officer in the interim to get sorted? If so that can complicate things, and any time I rang my SW office I was told that the CWO needed to get in touch with them so that they could repay the supplementary allowance to him first, then pay me the balance. This went on for quite a while, so in the end I contacted the CWO myself, and sure enough the next day the balance was authorised for payment the following week.

If you weren't in receipt of supplementary welfare allowance it might be a bit quicker for you, as they wont have that hassle of repaying the CWO.

• Advertisement

No I didnt use the CWO so I hope it shouldnt be too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Payment: JSB
    Office:Thomas st, Dublin.
    Date of application: 23rd September
    Date of first payment: 5th OCtober
    I was pleasantly surprised at how efficient and hassle free it was. I had been expecting a far worse ordeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

JSA 10 weeks, Boyle Co. Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 annsie17

JSA
    Limerick
    Application 04/07/11
    Status - Come back after xmas! they have a backlog due to HRC and the whole section bar one woman out sick
    SWA - Dependant on SW decision - outcome no income / monies received since July - 6 months pregnant and stressed because of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Anyone have any idea how long the wait is in meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Social Welfare Office: Midleton, Cork
    Social Welfare Payment: JSB
    Application Date: 03-sept-2011, re-applied on after finishing a fas course
    Date of means test appointment: not yet advised
    Weeks from Application to Payment: 6 weeks

My OH is also on JSB so essentially we've been surving on €188 a week. A few weeks ago I had to swallow my pride and ask my mother for a loan so I could pay some bills. This week will find me hitting a new low - applying for supplementary welfare and rent allowance. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Metallica_

Social Welfare Office: Clifden, Galway
    Social Welfare Payment: JSA
    Application Date: 15/07/11
    Date of means test appointment: 22/07/11
    Weeks from Application to Payment: still waiting..almost 14 weeks so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clownman1

Does anyone know the average waiting time for JA in Cork City after being means tested? Application gone through since start of this month. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

clownman1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the average waiting time for JA in Cork City after being means tested? Application gone through since start of this month. Thanks

We re-applied middle of September in Cork City. It's a re-claim (Including FS) so we were told 3 weeks. Still waiting. But got back our RA straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I went in to Hanover Street, Cork on Monday last to make the first claim for JSA. The lad gave me all the forms to fill in and made an appointment for me two days later on the Wednesday. Wasn't expecting that as my friend had signed on last summer and was waiting the bones of 3 weeks for that second appointment.

Popped in on the Wednesday and met another lad who took the forms off me and asked me a few more questions. Then met with the inspector who kind of repeated the same questions in a bit more detail and she said they'd write to me soon about it.

Hope it really is soon.

Advertisement