Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 newmum09

Applied to SWO on 5th Jan for JSB as put on 3day week, made redundant on 27th Jan, went to office to tell them that I was made redundant and gave letter as proof until i got my P45.
    Only got p45 start of March so brought it in to office.
    Its now been over 12 weeks and still no sign.
    Have big mortgage,bills and loans to pay and we cant survive on husbands salary alone,
    we both just managed on both salaries with what was left at end of month used to pay childcare.
    Last time in SWO office asked about Supp Welfar All and was told because husband was earning that we were not eligable even though we cannot manage...have used all savings now and if SW does not come in next two weeks were are in real trouble
    HELP!!! Being applying for jobs but no luck at all at wits end noe

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

newmum09 wrote: »
    Applied to SWO on 5th Jan for JSB as put on 3day week, made redundant on 27th Jan, went to office to tell them that I was made redundant and gave letter as proof until i got my P45.
    Only got p45 start of March so brought it in to office.
    Its now been over 12 weeks and still no sign.
    Have big mortgage,bills and loans to pay and we cant survive on husbands salary alone,
    we both just managed on both salaries with what was left at end of month used to pay childcare.
    Last time in SWO office asked about Supp Welfar All and was told because husband was earning that we were not eligable even though we cannot manage...have used all savings now and if SW does not come in next two weeks were are in real trouble
    HELP!!! Being applying for jobs but no luck at all at wits end noe

Morning New Mum, sorry to hear about your situation, i appreciate where your coming from. My understanding of your situation is that the SWO may technically be correct however i am assuming you are applying for JSB based on redundancy and years of work. If this is the case, you are not means tested as you have earned the stamps required and eventually you will get substantial arrears for the weeks you have not recieved any payments. I believe it is worth while going to see your CWO in local health center and explain your circumstances. Based on the fact your claim is being processed, the CWO Will have this info on their system. I agree with the point about your husband earning but given your situation the CWO can be flexible. Its a difficult thing to do but i feel you have no alternative. You will need to find out what day the CWO sits at your local health center and bring along as much info as possible including ID.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CommDiver

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Can you confirm

A. Have you been in receipt of any payments during your application
    B. Where u applying for JSA or JSB (Unlikely to be JSB as its automatic if you have earned enough stamps through employment)
    C. Why didn't you go to the CWO for emergency payment whilst your claim was being processed?

Its just bizarre you have gone for such a long time with no income and equally bizarre your claim is taking so long, despite the delays many people are facing, yours seems to be extreme.

As for TD's, forget about it, this matter can only be resolved by firstly going to the social welfare office, demanding an explanation as to the inordinate delays, followed by a visit to your local CWO, Based at most health centers, you will need to find out what day they sit.

I have not been getting any payments, I've had to rely on my family for help. I had a meeting with a inspector today and she requested afew things which i have given to her. now I must wait for it to be sent back to kilkenny and see what they have to say. I have also gone to CWO and the woman there was so rude and she also request even more paper work from me that I already supplied in the first place. I've had to put a job on hold because I cant get there and I'm worried I might lose the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I applied on the 8th Feb and still have not had my claim processed. I might understand a small bit if it wasn't for the fact I was only re-signing and the guy in the SW told me that after my interview they'd pretty much be able to give me money there and then. Absolutely ****ing ridicuolous. I just rang them there (they actually picked up, for the first time since my claim started) and she said 2-3 weeks. I will be evicted before that, thanks a bunch guys.

I applied on the 8th Feb and still have not had my claim processed. I might understand a small bit if it wasn't for the fact I was only re-signing and the guy in the SW told me that after my interview they'd pretty much be able to give me money there and then. Absolutely ****ing ridicuolous. I just rang them there (they actually picked up, for the first time since my claim started) and she said 2-3 weeks. I will be evicted before that, thanks a bunch guys.

I really don't understand whats going on out there, we are led to believe the CWO can arrange emergency payments for those awaiting claims to be processed, especially those who are just coming off JSB which i believe is thousands. Is it the case the CWO are refusing to help those is real dire need?

• Advertisement

I've got 2 payments of Supp Welfare now, 214 and 100 euro, but I'm still waiting on my 6 weeks back-date.

I've got 2 payments of Supp Welfare now, 214 and 100 euro, but I'm still waiting on my 6 weeks back-date.

Hi Fionn MacCool how long are you waiting on your back date?

CommDiver wrote: »
    Hi Fionn MacCool how long are you waiting on your back date?
    Well my (repeat) claim started Feb 8th.

I gave the inspector the papre work she wanted today, she said she will send it to Kilkenny. I'll ring them next week to see what is happening i need that back date soon or i can't take that job.

Just to say an interesting post on thread "Is there an interview for JSA" this morning.

A Contributor just handed in a JSA application received after JSB ran out, it was handed in this morning (Dublin Office) and they were told it will be automatic, no interview required and no Letter for CWO required, the JSA should be processed in two weeks according to the SWO's receptionist.

I expressed surprise but delight if this is the case, especially that there was no interview required for means testing etc. May be i am wrong but judging from some horror stories contributors are facing, it would seem to me there is some sort of profiling going on. The contributor has straight forward enough circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

If you local ofice refuse to answer your query because x person is dealing with your claim & they are not in what can you do?

I applied for 1 parent 23rd September. I received 1st payment Feb 25th. I am still requesting the 23 weeks backdated.I queued for over 4 hours yesterday. They then at the desk told me there was no one available to answer queries. They told me to come back today to see x person who is dealing with my claim. I have been in my SW & CWO offices multiple times every week since trying to resolve the issue that was created.
    I went back today queued for 2 hours & was told she is not available ( despite them calling me to come in to her) I asked to speak to supervisor & when I got upset she started shouting at me about the pressure she was under. I very much need these arrears. They have not even been applied for by my office. I presume the fact only x person can deal with it is part of their work to rule maybe ?

With the work to rule the telephones were not being answered so I emailed central systems just to get an update on where my claim was. I received a call back from my office giving out to me for sending the email.

I feel I have exhausted all options in just trying to find out where my claim is & as of this morning I know Im having a breakdown over all of this.I just cannot stop crying at this stage. My sons communion is in 6 weeks & debts are mounting.Its a total worry . I have companies threatening court action & MABS have a severe waiting list. I dont know of any other way to get my problem resolved

People may mock or be very quick to pass judgement on people on SW on boards.ie. I dont find it helpful at all. I have worked & paid taxes for 16 years. I am not scrounging the system & I certainly did not choose this way of life. I am not any of the derogotory terms used to describe people on SW. I feel we should be treated with dignity in our dealings with the welfare offices . I finally just came to the end of it today where I broke down because I feel I can no longer cope with this pressure but got shouted at for doing so. I just need to know what I can do now to get some one in the SW to fix the problem with my claim to get my arrears & soon.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    If you local ofice refuse to answer your query because x person is dealing with your claim & they are not in what can you do?

I applied for 1 parent 23rd September. I received 1st payment Feb 25th. I am still requesting the 23 weeks backdated.I queued for over 4 hours yesterday. They then at the desk told me there was no one available to answer queries. They told me to come back today to see x person who is dealing with my claim. I have been in my SW & CWO offices multiple times every week since trying to resolve the issue that was created.
    I went back today queued for 2 hours & was told she is not available ( despite them calling me to come in to her) I asked to speak to supervisor & when I got upset she started shouting at me about the pressure she was under. I very much need these arrears. They have not even been applied for by my office. I presume the fact only x person can deal with it is part of their work to rule maybe ?

With the work to rule the telephones were not being answered so I emailed central systems just to get an update on where my claim was. I received a call back from my office giving out to me for sending the email.

I feel I have exhausted all options in just trying to find out where my claim is & as of this morning I know Im having a breakdown over all of this.I just cannot stop crying at this stage. My sons communion is in 6 weeks & debts are mounting.Its a total worry . I have companies threatening court action & MABS have a severe waiting list. I dont know of any other way to get my problem resolved

People may mock or be very quick to pass judgement on people on SW on boards.ie. I dont find it helpful at all. I have worked & paid taxes for 16 years. I am not scrounging the system & I certainly did not choose this way of life. I am not any of the derogotory terms used to describe people on SW. I feel we should be treated with dignity in our dealings with the welfare offices . I finally just came to the end of it today where I broke down because I feel I can no longer cope with this pressure but got shouted at for doing so. I just need to know what I can do now to get some one in the SW to fix the problem with my claim to get my arrears & soon.

This is a terrible situation and like yourself worked for many years and certainly would not tolerate anyone mocking those on SW on Boards.ie

I am sorry but i don't know much about your situation but there are complaint procedures you can avail of and i would suggest visiting the citizens information for immediate advice on this matter. As for the public service go slow, its an absolute disgrace and i am just amazed about the fuss in the press about people waiting for passports, what about the thousands of people like you in such appalling circumstances.

Thanks Dempo - Im presuming its this work to rule that is casuing the headache. But WTR is no excuse for treating people with the contempt that they do. Being polite & using manners are free & are irrelevant of a work to rule . Also if they worked for any other company shall we say BOI,Tesco, O2, Vodafone they certainly could not treat their clients in the manner that they do or Guess what... THEY WOULD BE SACKED !

The passport situation is a nightmare for those involved in getting a passport- Like many on SW I shall have no need for one as I wont be planning a holiday until 2085 if im still alive so passports are the least of my worries. All these people who are being treted with the same WTR in the SW system have far bigger worries in their eyes such as SURVIVAL than a holiday so it amazes me all the media hype surrounding foreign travel.

Im going to CA once I get the kiddies from school.

Had I not been in such a hysterical state earlier, I was tempted to drive up to Ardmore Studios & get one of the guys to come back down with me with a film crew. The guys love doing shorts so they would have jumped at the chance. I wonder how quick & respectfully it would have been dealt with , with them filming the shananigans. Had I not been in floods I would have sat it out until they removed me from the premises at closing time. But as a law abiding citizen Im terrified ill get arrested...

Im also afraid if I make too much noise they will come back & find a way to tell me I now suddenly have no arrears, due to x y z.

Im an educated person & have managed to ask many people in the system, google their web sites for hours on end etc but to find out many answers, queries it IS like the 3rd secret of Fatima. For example if you go on the social welfare site to find out about rent supplement its like a cryptic puzzle. My CWO is a god send & she showed me how to work it... but she herself said after 15 years in the place she still has to go to a quiet place to try work it out every time. Thats just crazy.

My query is a very straighforward one. Im on illness - I have Crones disease so this stress has severly aggrevated the condition & I am back on multiple meds now to curtail symptoms. As I applied for 1 parent ( I am seperated years yet as I worked never needed to apply until I was made redundant & advised by CWO to do so). When you get 1 parent, illness needs to be halved & means deducted from 1 parent added back on. When my applic was processed she never applied to illness for half payment, instead she cut it off !!
    Arrears cannot be applied for by my local office until illness is halved. As they still havent done this they cannot even apply for the arrears. The lady who rang me regarding my email, who was very abusive was the person who processed the 1 parent. To the by by stander she appears to be annoyed with me so half did the job & now wont fix it.
    this is going on weeks now. I need her ( as they keep telling me from WTR she is the only person who can fix it) to get illness back on, half it & apply for arrears.
    Its getting more compliucated now by the day. I need
    - 23 weeks back payment of 1 parent
    - 23 weeks back payment of fuel allow
    -23 weeks over payment of rent supp( as means increased) to be removed from this
    - 23 weeks of overpayment of illness as now halved to be removed from this.

Now on top of this I have 5 weeks non payment of illness to be added back on . As my rent supp was cut off too to fix the problem I have to be backdated 2 months of this. This however can not be done either until SW fix it all.

:Long story but thats basicly it.

Well my friends - My duel has finally come to an end. yesterday following tears, tantrums & a complete breakdown in the middle of my local office, I finally got the call to say it is now resolved & all my arrears will be in the PO next Thursday ... 27 weeks later !

Thanks for all the advice. Dempo THANK YOU & if I can help anyone else in any way just PM me any time. Ive learnt so much from my battle with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Well my friends - My duel has finally come to an end. yesterday following tears, tantrums & a complete breakdown in the middle of my local office, I finally got the call to say it is now resolved & all my arrears will be in the PO next Thursday ... 27 weeks later !

Thanks for all the advice. Dempo THANK YOU & if I can help anyone else in any way just PM me any time. Ive learnt so much from my battle with them.

Jesus your above post shows how bad it can get. Well done for holding out, hope you can at least treat yourself to something after it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

tommy21 wrote: »
    Jesus your above post shows how bad it can get. Well done for holding out, hope you can at least treat yourself to something after it all!

Well thats nothing
    Im waiting for jsa from august 2009
    two months ago i had my interview
    Thats the joke here in Ballina

Well thats nothing
    Im waiting for jsa from august 2009
    two months ago i had my interview
    Thats the joke here in Ballina

Congratulations, this must be a record! are you serious, this is outrageous. What are your circumstances, living at Home, school leaver etc, just curious.

tommy21 wrote: »

Thanks Tommy - It blocks the wolf from the door TG. Things were gone beyond bearable but finally some light at the end of tunnel..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Congratulations, this must be a record! are you serious, this is outrageous. What are your circumstances, living at Home, school leaver etc, just curious.

nothing like that
    jsb ended in august living alone live at the moment from a mortage payment from my lender

nothing like that
    jsb ended in august living alone live at the moment from a mortgage payment from my lender

Sorry, did not mean to be ficious but this is outrageous, are you receiving any payments, say via the CWO while your claim is being processed. You say your living alone and live at the moment from Mortgage payment, i don't quite understand what your saying here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

im headin into my 6th week now i think,

had all the forms in since the 23rdish of feb,
    college leaver, oni got my letter in from the college last week tho, eejits forgot to post it nd me waitin 3 weeks for it, ended up goin to get it from them.
    hope it dont take much longer im broke lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lew1s

Hi,

I ve been getting JSB for 8 month and now I moving to JSA.
    I applied on 15th of February for JSA.
    On 20th Feb they told me that I need to bring 12 months summary from my bank account. I did that and after 1 week (27th Feb)they sent me a form to my post (think that was the means test). I fill out and took it to Social Office.
    Still waiting

From 20th Feb I am getting Suplementary Allowance - 130.10E by check
    On that check is 326E - but I am getting just 130E

Office: Dublin 1
    Waiting: 6weeks

Can you tell me if I get JSA money for the 6 weeks or just from that confirmed day.

THX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 journo gal

Hey,

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I'm finished college in 5 weeks and was hoping to apply for JSB. I worked full time from 2004 to December 2008 (to fund my studies) so I have enough stamps. Had to leave my last job to go on Erasmus and despite a million applications, I haven't had a job since.

I'm 23 and had to move in with folks so I could stay in college. My parents earn a reasonable amount of money so they have been able to supplement a lot of my studying costs but it has been made clear that once I finish college, I won't have a penny (and they are absolutely right).

If I cannot find a job, would I be eligible for JSB? I will be living at home until I can afford to rent but I still have bills and loans to clear. And if I am entitled to JSB, would it be much?

I know I am not in the worst situation because I have a roof over my head but I am really fretting over the finance situation and I hope to apply for JSB as soon as I am finished college. Oh, and I have read through the welfare.ie site but reading through this thread, it seems that if you are under 25 and living at home, you may encounter problems.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

I just received a letter from my social welfare this morning.
    It is in regards my claim from JSB to JSA. I put letter in around second week in february and am now getting an interview next tuesday.
    A few questions:

1)It says bank statements from at least 3 months but earliest I have is from 5 months ago due to no activity in bank account, will this do?

2)Because im 24 and living at home i have to bring parents payslips which they dont willingly want to give. The situation is this, I had to move home cause i couldnt afford rent, but my parents want money every week from me to live at home which because of delay in waiting I dont have. So my best friend has been lending me money every week to get by.

I get no support or money from parents only a hard time. What I want to know is how will what they earn affect my payment? And im 25 in 6 months time so how is it that things will be any different then in regards what my parents earn in relation to me?

Reality is I need as much money as I can get(don't mean to sound like a beggar or cheat) but its reality. My parents want €50 per week from me and ive to get my own food. Also I know this is of no concern to SW but I have a car on Finance which is nearly €300 per month and I have missed payments for 3 months now and are threatening with court action and blacklisting me.

Sorry for rant, any advice on what to say in interview(never been for one with SW before) will be greatly appreciated

oh just to add ive no working phone at the moment because meteor cut me off due to not being able to pay final bill(had bill phone which was cheaper than ready to go but needed to get rid of direct debit due to having no income) so i cant really jobseek to my full potential at the moment lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mag1c

Applied for JSA - 3rd June 2008!!!!!! thats comming up to 2 yars wait !

habitual residence holding it up as I'am English..

stilll waitng...

what an utter farce. totally against human rights as far as I'm amconcerned.
    I bet an Irish /European person appying in England dont have to wait this REDICULOUSE amount of time.

mag1c wrote: »
    Applied for JSA - 3rd June 2008!!!!!! thats comming up to 2 yars wait !

habitual residence holding it up as I'am English..

stilll waitng...

what an utter farce. totally against human rights as far as I'm amconcerned.
    I bet an Irish /European person appying in England dont have to wait this REDICULOUSE amount of time.

Surely this can not be correct? Two year wait? something is seriously wrong with your application. Habitual residency was not even a condition when you applied! even so, this is a pretty straight forward matter to resolve such as proof of address, utility bills, rent bills etc, at this stage i would imagine you would also have numerous written correspondence over this two year waiting period from the department of social welfare which in itself should be proof of residency. You need to get down to your local office and sort this out or consider an appeal, also might help to contact citizens information on this outrageous situation.

I just received a letter from my social welfare this morning.
    It is in regards my claim from JSB to JSA. I put letter in around second week in february and am now getting an interview next tuesday.
    A few questions:

1)It says bank statements from at least 3 months but earliest I have is from 5 months ago due to no activity in bank account, will this do?

2)Because im 24 and living at home i have to bring parents payslips which they dont willingly want to give. The situation is this, I had to move home cause i couldnt afford rent, but my parents want money every week from me to live at home which because of delay in waiting I dont have. So my best friend has been lending me money every week to get by.

I get no support or money from parents only a hard time. What I want to know is how will what they earn affect my payment? And im 25 in 6 months time so how is it that things will be any different then in regards what my parents earn in relation to me?

Reality is I need as much money as I can get(don't mean to sound like a beggar or cheat) but its reality. My parents want €50 per week from me and ive to get my own food. Also I know this is of no concern to SW but I have a car on Finance which is nearly €300 per month and I have missed payments for 3 months now and are threatening with court action and blacklisting me.

Sorry for rant, any advice on what to say in interview(never been for one with SW before) will be greatly appreciated

oh just to add ive no working phone at the moment because meteor cut me off due to not being able to pay final bill(had bill phone which was cheaper than ready to go but needed to get rid of direct debit due to having no income) so i cant really jobseek to my full potential at the moment lol

This is an important Means test and there is no way around the SW requests, regardless of any bank activity in your bank account you will be required to submit statements for the past three months.

As regards your parents unwillingness to provide pay slips, i am afraid this will not be acceptable, you may be able to supply details for their PPS numbers which the SW can check out in relation to earnings or have them supply a letter stating you are paying rent whilst living at home. The SW are very strict about means and you will have to supply something about your parents income or a letter from them, i really think your parents need to understand this is not a luxury, if they require you to pay rent, you need approval.

As for the car Payment, your already on the credit bureau for missing a single payment so too late to be concerned. Some banks are re negotiating lease terms on car loans but only if you have reached a certain level of reducing the original loan, in reality you probably need to consider handing back the car. Your options are detailed on the financial regulators website.

Reading between the lines, you seriously need a reality check!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

New Claim first week in JAN, means test etc etc (Dublin 17) but still nothing

Living on nothing really. Cycle everywhere. The bus is a luxury haha.

on the plus, have lost 2 stone but on the downside - it could be detrimental to my health.

Havent payed a bill/loan in months. Car reposessed, debt collectors at the door weekly. Job declines weekly.....Could easily be depressed here but I'm not and I'll wait patiently and keep looking for a job

Yrag2E wrote: »
    New Claim first week in JAN, means test etc etc (Dublin 17) but still nothing

Living on nothing really. Cycle everywhere. The bus is a luxury haha.

on the plus, have lost 2 stone but on the downside - it could be detrimental to my health.

Havent payed a bill/loan in months. Car reposessed, debt collectors at the door weekly. Job declines weekly.....Could easily be depressed here but I'm not and I'll wait patiently and keep looking for a job

Yikes !! - You poor thing. Unfortunately a lot of people out there have there heads in the clouds regarding the unemployed ( not you OP). But its only when they become unemployeed themselves they realise how bad things can get.... Heart goes out to people who are like this with reposessions & debt collectors.
    OP Can your welfare officer help in anyway with supplementary welfare ? I would suggest you write to any company you owe money to & suggest paying them even €2 a week to keep the debt collectors away.
    Best of luck anyway & I hope your situation improves soon.

• Advertisement

Yikes !! - You poor thing. Unfortunately a lot of people out there have there heads in the clouds regarding the unemployed ( not you OP). But its only when they become unemployed themselves they realize how bad things can get.... Heart goes out to people who are like this with repossessions & debt collectors.
    OP Can your welfare officer help in anyway with supplementary welfare ? I would suggest you write to any company you owe money to & suggest paying them even €2 a week to keep the debt collectors away.
    Best of luck anyway & I hope your situation improves soon.

Yes agreed, i am curious however why claimants are either not approaching their CWO's or perhaps being refused by CWO. The system allows claimants awaiting claims to apply for supplementary welfare via their CWO, i am amazed about the amount of posters not doing so or experiencing difficulties. It's a ludicrous situation where genuine claimants are being left with no income what so ever. Perhaps new claimants are penalized but i am not aware this is the case. Those transferring from JSB to JSA, despite being on the system are also being left high and dry. Just can't understand why no one is kicking up a fuss about this.

As regards these vulture debt collectors, i advise anyone claiming the dole to write to creditors and enclose a copy of your dole application forms or indeed any confirmation you are in receipt of welfare, these F^&Kers can't get blood from a stone. Debt collectors arriving at your Home is considering in law as demanding money with menace, a serious offense. Debt collection agencies are require to follow strict guidelines in relation to pursuing debt and usually through the courts who are by now sick to the teeth with horror stories. Judges are being quite helpful and as long as any effort is being made, including correspondence to creditors, they will likely impose a manageable payment schedule based on income no matter how low, its pisses off the finance companies but they can do little about it.

Advertisement