Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with this?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

A second opinion from a mod that is not linked to AH would be appretiated.

Warned for "Breach of peace", I don't understand it really. If I can not debate, then what is the bloody point of this place? Must I agree with every argument put forward from other members? I think not!!!

Linky

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It seems pretty clear from the wording of the PM you received about it that your tone wasn't appreciated. You were being abrasive and condescending in that you were trying to tell someone they (a) didn't know what they were talking about and (b) how they should talk when they don't know what they're talking about.

It's only a yellow card. That's just a warning. I would take it seriously in terms of looking at how you were going about the debate. It seems like you were getting a little hot under the collar and it might be time to step back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There was no getting anywhere, that is how I have posted for as long as I have been here.

My advice to the poster was to word his sentences differantly, the reason for this is he is emplying that he knows what he is talking about. He doesn't. Yet he has said that he didn't emply that he knew what he was talking about. I suggested to word his sentences accordingly.

I am sure it is not against any rule of boards.ie to tell someone "you don't know what you are talking about"...

It is extremely difficult to post anything in AH without wondering if it is going to piss off one of the mods.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, you've been around long enough not to try to engage in serious discussion in AH. I think you're really digging your own grave if you do.

There have been countless serious discussions every single day on AH, AH is for threads that do not belong to any other forum or sub forum. AH is not solely for non serious threads or posts. A lot of great debates have taken place in AH.

What I said which got me the warning was the following:

"You have no right to get involved in military issues. You can voice your opinion on decisions made by Willie and the government. That's about it really."

How this warrants any form of warning, infraction, ban is beyond me.

Mod refuses to talk to me further about it. It doesn't matter if it is an infraction, warning or a ban, it's the principle of the matter.

If there is such a problem then I think the rules need to be amended and clearer rules be announced.

Well, you've been around long enough not to try to engage in serious discussion in AH. I think you're really digging your own grave if you do.
    Ok, I'm not trying to be condescending here, but I never said that there was no serious discussion on AH. I said that you've been here long enough to know that trying to engage in it is silly. The vast majority of posters on AH think that politics is a song by Coldplay. The rest think discussion of politics belongs in the politics forum. Maybe the thread should have been moved, but I think there's some sort of rule that after a number of replies the thread has been AH-ified.

• Advertisement

Problem isn't resolved but I do appreciate the replies, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There have been countless serious discussions every single day on AH, AH is for threads that do not belong to any other forum or sub forum. AH is not solely for non serious threads or posts. A lot of great debates have taken place in AH.

What I said which got me the warning was the following:

"You have no right to get involved in military issues. You can voice your opinion on decisions made by Willie and the government. That's about it really."

How this warrants any form of warning, infraction, ban is beyond me.

Mod refuses to talk to me further about it. It doesn't matter if it is an infraction, warning or a ban, it's the principle of the matter.

If there is such a problem then I think the rules need to be amended and clearer rules be announced.
    You have been warned about back seat modding in the past.
    It's very rare that someone gets a warning for that in AH, but you have a history of repeatedly doing it, so that's why you got the yellow card.

Ok, I'm not trying to be condescending here, but I never said that there was no serious discussion on AH. I said that you've been here long enough to know that trying to engage in it is silly. The vast majority of posters on AH think that politics is a song by Coldplay. The rest think discussion of politics belongs in the politics forum. Maybe the thread should have been moved, but I think there's some sort of rule that after a number of replies the thread has been AH-ified.
    Sometimes we'll clean up the thread and move it if it's a slow day and there are only a few replies.
    Other than that, we tend to leave it.
    It's not a strict rule really. We play it by ear and see what happens.

As for rules, we are working on a new charter at the moment and it will be a lot clearer than the current one.

Advertisement