Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection

Options
  • 23-04-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

ok so i play wireless 85% on my laptop - would it better for me to plug the ethernet cable in and play plugged? will my fps increase and wnt get random drops?

also recently got sky in does this affect my internet connection as its connected to my little phoen boxx thingy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What do you mean by 85% You use wireless 85% of the time or your signal is at 85%?

Whenever I have played WoW wirelessly, the lag has always been increased by 100-200ms and there are random 1-2sec lag spikes every 1-2 mins. If I were you, I would use the ethernet cable whenever it is not inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

no i use wireless 85% of the time.

woudl thsi also have effect to why i keep gettign random dc's. like it just kicks me out to the log in screen every so often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah it could be the problem. I never play wirelessly myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I play wirelessly all the time without a problem (compared to wired players), but it really depends on alot of factors. Definately if you have the choice to play connected directly to the router, do it and see if it makes a difference. It might be you have a dodgy wireless card, or maybe there's some sort of intermittent interference around your house (power cables, lots of walls etc between you and the wireless device for example).

The sky box shouldnt make a difference.

If you still get disconnected, try playing without addons for a bit (say in BGs where it doesnt matter much if you win or lose), and see if that works better, this might hint at some addon problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

If you are using windows vista, then thats an issue with the auto wlan config feature. Which can normally be turned off in XP but needs to be, or you will have the same issue; but cannot be manually disabled without the use of command prompt commands.

I have them at home and I'll post it when I'm back there later today.

The lag every 30 seconds - 2 mins is Windows searching for a better wlan connection and causes the line to freeze up.

Since I've got it sorted I have absolutely no issues with my ping while on wireless.

• Advertisement

yea they is a check box in the settings to search for a better connection so im thinking that thats what it is.

like every nwo and again i get completly disconnected from my internet and have to plug out the box and plug it back in. itsa netopia box and ive had it for about 5years im thinkin i might need a need router!

it never happens playin wow but if i tab out to cehck out somethign on a website and lave it a few mins then i might get dc'ld. its just really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Go download a programme called "Vista Anti Lag" - it helps an awful lot when playing games in Vista on wireless. Also make sure to turn off ALL power saving settings on your wireless card. You'll need to go to the advanced settings in the power tab.

Do a continous ping on your routers internal IP address while you play, it should really be very low, preferably <1ms and at worst maybe 3ms but anything above that can be problematic for gaming - if you're getting spikes then that's of course fairly bad/

I had to play for a while via wireless on Vista and even though after a lot of messing about to get the connection working right (changing the channel, power savings, vista anti lag etc., etc.,) it still was no way near as good enough as just running a simple lan cable.

If you absolutely must you wireless, at least use the vista anti-lag while gaming.

so from what im getting there is two issues.

1 - random disconnects from the wow server just to the log in screen and can log straight back in. your sayin thats more than likely an addon. only one i could think of is auctioneer or carbonite? recount/omen/onebag/xperl all too smll to cause a dc.

2nd issue - actually disconnection of my laptop from my wirelss router.
    and issue here is with vista.

85% of the time i can play 'wired up' but just dont out of sheer comfort of not having another wire hangin out along with my mouse and power. but wen doing anything serious i 'wire up'

cheers for all answers. ill prob follow up in few days/week after sustained play to tell you if any of these work.

Advertisement