Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marco Pierre White Dawson Street

• 23-04-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Anyone been yet?
    Was thinking of going on Saturday.
    Any reviews.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Went last night as part of the Dine in Dublin week - have to say, not impressed.
    Seating was very tight, the service was poor and the food was very hit and miss. More miss than hit. And all the miss was bland, bland, bland.
    I couldn’t recommend it. And based on our experience last night, I would actively tell people to avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Really? Thats so dissappointing :( I was going to try it out next week.

http://www.tasteofireland.ie/frontend/reviews/show/507-Marco-Pierre-White-Steakhouse-and-Grill-

Yeah - we were really looking forward to it too!

Room - tables were squashed in, the two people of the of the group who were sitting on tables that were adjacent to others and were constantly being asked to move or people were squeezing behind them. And the waiter couldn't reach me, so I was handed all my meals and my dessert spoon was 'chucked' at me.

Service - waiter was on another planet. Everytime we tried to convey an order the lights were on, but no one was at home. It took a while to order… We were served in a timely fashion though. But that was his only positive. He did arrive at our table with rubbish from another one, plonked it on a plate before he proceeded to clear. He also had to be asked (after a long wait) to return our change. Our water was never topped up, we were never offered any more bread or wine.

Food - more miss than hit. The main complaint was blandness. The ribeye was surprisingly void of flavour, the hollandaise/béarnaise were oddly tasteless. I ordered the liver for mains, which was nice and perfectly cooked. But I got a very small portion. And it was topped by two Denny 'finest quality bacon' rashers. The vegetarian option was a disgrace. Tasteless goats cheese on oily croutons on a small bed of lamb's lettuce. My friend couldn’t eat it. Dessert was more of a hit. Eton mess & crème brulee were quite good. Bread & butter pudding was swimming in its own pool of butter. Which was very off putting.

The dine in dublin menu appeared to offer good value - on average you would have saved €10 - €15 eur on your meal. And the choices also appeared to be decent picks from the a la carte.

And it was topped by two Denny 'finest quality bacon' rashers.

Haha! It was not! :D Was it? Really? I hardly believe it.

Deepsense wrote: »
    Haha! It was not! :D Was it? Really? I hardly believe it.

Well from the menu it says... 'Calves Liver with Finest Quality Bacon'.
    The rashers were really thin (and don't get me wrong, I love Denny rashers) but I don't think you would be able to cut regular 'butchers' bacon that thinly without it falling apart?! I can honestly say that I am 99% sure that it was unsmoked back rashers from a packet - Denny or otherwise. I should have taken a photo!!!

• Advertisement

I thought it would have been streaky or something more along those lines. Ho well....Ill post after Ive been. I hope its better than what you guys experienced.

Is there a review thread? Have I missed it?

Nah it looked (and tasted like) commoner gardener breakfast back bacon from Denny & co! Will C&P my review into the other thread. Would be interested to hear how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it says a lot about Ireland and our knowledge of food when a top chef opens a 'steakhouse and grill' over here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think it says a lot about Ireland and our knowledge of food when a top chef opens a 'steakhouse and grill' over here...

Dunno about that

The guy seems to like good simple tasty food

and besides there are more than enough fancy restaurants around, I reckon it is a smart move, gap in the market and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

He's got a "steakhouse and grill" in London too. The menu looks tremendous...of course there's a lot more on it than the menu over here:rolleyes:

I do think we are light years behind somewhere like London and its a real struggle to find good value quality food in this city but I suppose when you take into account size and the fact that traditionally we were quite a poor county its to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn't be so sceptical. A good steakhouse is hard to find in Ireland. It's a real skill to be able to cook steak well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

olaola wrote: »
    Went last night as part of the Dine in Dublin week - have to say, not impressed.
    Seating was very tight, the service was poor and the food was very hit and miss. More miss than hit. And all the miss was bland, bland, bland.
    I couldn’t recommend it. And based on our experience last night, I would actively tell people to avoid.

I have to agree. Was really disappointed especially with the service. We were given sighs and grumbles when we asked about items on the menu and because we didn't order wine.

I'd not bother going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Im glad i saw this before heading in, was going to check it out in the next few weeks, think ill go somewhere else now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am going on Friday

Curiosity got the better of me

Will report back with my experience of the place

Advertisement