Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quay Street Taxi Rank

Options
  • 23-04-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I passed by it yesterday & counted over 50 taxis in the queue, stretching from the start of quay street, all the way round to the back of the shopping mall as far as Dominos Pizzas.

Overkill to say the least - plus they're blocking up half the roads by double parking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

maybe it was a queue for pizza that stretched all the way to quey street?

All be it a backwards queue for pizza!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

You'd never think there was a taxi rank on abbey street all be it a small one. There is always a queue but I've never been bothered counting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Typical Taxi Drivers with no consideration at all for any other road users........ I despise them greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

frag420 wrote: »
    maybe it was a queue for pizza that stretched all the way to quey street?

All be it a backwards queue for pizza!!

:D

Taxi drivers are extremely inconsiderate road users in general, though Dublin taxi drivers take it to the extreme - I used to hate getting cabs in Dublin & have to listen to a whinging, racist, sexist rant AND have to pay for it. It's liked being forced to listen to the Joe Duffy show.

Most Sligo cabbies are sound apart from the few who think they own the road.

:D

Taxi drivers are extremely inconsiderate road users in general, though Dublin taxi drivers take it to the extreme - I used to hate getting cabs in Dublin & have to listen to a whinging, racist, sexist rant AND have to pay for it. It's liked being forced to listen to the Joe Duffy show.

Most Sligo cabbies are sound apart from the few who think they own the road.

+1

When you get into a taxi with them they are sound and so down to earth but I hate the way they think they own the road. No consideration for anyone else on the road, hence I don't let them out in front of me if they are at a junction and trying to get in front of me.
    I find that they almost just drive out onto the road when coming down High Street I think onto Castle Street/Gratten Street:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I passed by it yesterday & counted over 50 taxis in the queue

Lol, I can picture you walking along counting. "Doh, lost my count, baaaack to the beginning! :D

The taxi firm I use, use it as a base. If they are at a loose end, they head back there. There should be a couple of ranks in town, the one on Abbey Street never seemed to happen. I have never seen a taxi waiting for a fare there.

i think I have only seen a taxi there at about 2:30 in the morning when the crowds come out of Envy.
    Sure the whole of Castle Street/Gratten Street seems to become a taxi rank at around the same time.

Where else around the town would be suitable for a taxi rank? Somewhere on Stephen Street or the Mall possibly?

Lol, I can picture you walking along counting. "Doh, lost my count, baaaack to the beginning! :D

Walking? Please, I was driving by, like any civilised non-student. :D

bobcar61 wrote: »
    or the Mall possibly?

I still don't know where the Mall is - someone told me once, but I forgot since. Is it actually a Mall? Am I missing out on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

the mall is the continuation of stephen street up towards the hospital.

The leitrim bar is on it, so it might be an ok place to put a taxi rank, even though most of the students wouldn't have far to walk. (Then again, not that much farther than envy but I suspect the extra 200 m seems longer since you're a bit farther into town)

• Advertisement

I wonder if there was a taxi rank would many people go over there to pick one up or would there even be taxi's waiting there during the day or would they just keep using the current one on Quay Street?

Maybe one along the street where 4 Lights is...what's the name of that street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

I wonder if there was a taxi rank would many people go over there to pick one up or would there even be taxi's waiting there during the day or would they just keep using the current one on Quay Street?

Maybe one along the street where 4 Lights is...what's the name of that street?

John St.

And no. Can you imagine the carnage there on a saturday night if there was a rank there as well as all the usual shennanigans?

emcc wrote: »
    John St.

And no. Can you imagine the carnage there on a saturday night if there was a rank there as well as all the usual shennanigans?

But you could fit one in where the road widens.It could be a smallish one on the left hand side just before the back of the cathedral.

I wish I was the town planner,I'm sure I could do a better job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I couldn't care less how you lot get home at 3am. :pac:

During the day I mean, we need a few ranks around the town. There's no need to have 50 taxis sitting in one spot in town missing business, when there is plenty of other areas of town they could spread out to.

I got lost in Paris recently (not as glamorous as it sounds) and there was a taxi sign a bit away from the Metro, so I waited (and waited) and eventually a taxi came. We need more spots like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

But you could fit one in where the road widens.It could be a smallish one on the left hand side just before the back of the cathedral.

It's also quite poorly lit down that end of the street.

Moot point anyway as our town elders probably don't have the cost of a tin of paint to line out a new rank.

A few lights don't cost too much:)

Maybe not the best location looking at it now.

Something like Tequila said. Have like bus stops around the town, but have them as taxi stops instead. If there is someone standing there and a taxi comes along they can stop and pull in to pick you up. Although looking back at that idea, its just as handy to flag one down..same difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shabbah

They could have a rank on High Street on the right OR left hand side as you go down and rule out parking along that section of street from Harrys Bar down!

There's my plan! :D

A few lights don't cost too much:)

Maybe not the best location looking at it now.

Something like Tequila said. Have like bus stops around the town, but have them as taxi stops instead. If there is someone standing there and a taxi comes along they can stop and pull in to pick you up. Although looking back at that idea, its just as handy to flag one down..same difference!

If the 50 or so taximen, parked on their holes actually thought to drive around the town, they may do a bit more business instead of blocking roads.

Or should we provide a tax paid bus service to take people to their overcrowded ranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Somehow I wouldn't say the taximen are too happy having to wait an hour to get a €10 fare ....there's too many taxis in Sligo, and not enough ranks.

If O'Connell street was open to taxis only, it would the best sense of all .... sort of like an Airport pick up/drop off area in the centre of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

:mad:
    Big_Mac wrote: »
    Typical Taxi Drivers with no consideration at all for any other road users........ I despise them greatly.
    +1

when i was preganat wit my last child, (very heavily preganat, wk before i was due)
    i pulled up right outside the sligo city hotel on quay st, for my bro to run accross to the toilet in the hotel...

making my point not to park on the taxi rank, even doh that far down where i was their was only one taxi on the rank at he very top..

i waited in the car with my son, 18mths at the time and my sis, when this taxi man pulled his car right in front of mine and start to mime and point that i was on the taxi rank, and given me the signal to move my car i egnored him as i knew fine well i wasnt in the wrong..

he pulled his car rite beside mine bout 2 foot between us, and opened his door and kept banging his door of my side door he eventually struggled to get out and said to me he was ringing the guards as i was breaking the law been on the rank i said go ahead..

at this stage i was shaking and ready to cry and totally in a wreak..

he reversed back and got on his phone and wat looked like he was reading my reg, to who ever was on the phone(if it was anyone)

even typing this is making me so angry thinking bout it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Culchie wrote: »
    Somehow I wouldn't say the taximen are too happy having to wait an hour to get a €10 fare ....there's too many taxis in Sligo, and not enough ranks.

If O'Connell street was open to taxis only, it would the best sense of all .... sort of like an Airport pick up/drop off area in the centre of town.

it wouldn't work though. there'd be plenty of numpties not reading signs and following the taxis in there, or just plain ignoring them.

Maybe rockwood parade would be a good taxi rank.

Advertisement