Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java.Observable

Options
  • 23-04-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

I have a JFrame observing another class. And this works fine when I launch the JFrame normally. However when I create the JFrame from within another JFrame, the Observing JFrame does not observe. It just stays with its default values for everything.

I'm adding the observer using object.addObserver(this);

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It is probably not working because JFrame is a Top Level component and it does not make sense to create one inside another, and will probably result in all kinds of unexpected behaviour. If you want a window within a window in your application use a JDialog or an Internal Frame instead.

See here for more details

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/toplevel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Sorry I meant opening a new JFrame, in a new window, from a button in original one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Could you post up a little more code perhaps? Don't have much to go on at the moment. Where is object.addObserver(this); called from for example?

public class GameWindow extends JFrame implements java.util.Observer
    {
    	public GameWindow() {
                	aTable.addObserver(this);
                	aTable.initialise();           
    	}
    }

public class Table extends java.util.Observable {

public Table() {
    	}
    }

class LoginWindow {
    	private void singlePlayerClicked()
    	{
    			GameWindow g = new GameWindow();
    	}
    }

If the code is left to wait for user interaction in the GameWindow JFrame it just freezes as a white window, with the observed Table running correctly.
    If I remove the user interaction, the GameWindow runs fine, JFrame opens correctly however it doesn't observe the Table correctly and none of the values are ever updated in the JFrame.

I think I've included what I think are the important parts of the code, I didn't originally write most of it as it was done by another guy in the project group.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

In your aTable.initialise(); method try adding

setChanged();
    notifyObservers();

at the end. Not sure if this is where you want the callback to happen but.

• Advertisement

Unfortuantely thats in it already.

If I was to launch GameWindow from main it all works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Unfortuantely thats in it already.

If I was to launch GameWindow from main it all works perfectly.

Well then as marco_polo has said can you show us all code releated to the observer pattern

I'll get the guy who wrote it to write a smaller project that causes the same bug, couple of thousand lines involved so it'd be pretty tedious for anyone here to look through.

I got the brain going and I think I have an answer. I suspect that it is a threading issue.

The JVM uses a single thread per JVM to handle all GUI events called the event dispatch thread. As you are creating the second JFrame within this event handling thread (when the user clicks a button) it is likely the cause of your problem.

If you kick off a new thread for the second JFrame I think it should work ok.

Something like this should do
    private void singlePlayerClicked(){

Runnable r = new Runnable() {
              public void run() {
                  new GameWindow();
              }
        });
    Thread.start (r)

** EDIT oh wait when you remove the user interaction it still doesn't observe.
    Only half way there so :o

Advertisement