Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Israel was a Christian EU state- Would we put up with their policies?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

After the walk out from the UN racisim meeting in Durban by the (All white) representatives of several EU countries, I have to say how dissapointed I am with their obviously pre-planned boycott.

Is the state of Israel beyond criticism? Why?

Given the actions of their politicians and their army in the recent assault on Gaza and the killing of so many Children, is it not just right but important to question their policies?

The new FM of Israel is on record as saying that 90% of Israeli Arabs have no business staying in Israel - If this were any other FM he would be rounded on by the international community?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but did you smoke some funny stuff lately? Did you actually read what the president of Iran was saying?

Do I like Israel? Hell no but if you want to talk offenders I'd start with walking over to Syria, Saudi Arabia etc. before I start banging on Israel about being racists. Do you have any idea what happens in Saudi Arabia? How their Filipino maids can expect to be beaten and often raped and kicked out on a moments notice while earning slave level wages? Do you have any idea how the Indians who build Dubai lives when they are not doing their 12h on the building site? Did you happen to read requirement for a woman to be raped according to some of these states by the way for a court hearing? The rape has to be WITNESSED by three Muslim men; if not you had not been raped as a woman. And lets not even go in on Iran and their treatment of people (hint, read up on the acid in face attacks).

Pointing out Israel alone as some kind of racial bully boy standing alone in that part of the world is such a big insult to any thinking person that I can't believe people would support it. The only thing done wrong was bothering to attend in the first place, UN is a waste of money organisation. We have dictator states on the board of human rights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gamblor1975

Saudi Arabia and the regeime that leads it is supported by the good ole US of A. No chance of them interfering in their affairs when they need their oil.

On Point - Israel has a new even more right wing govt. that even a lot of Israelis are worried about. I'm sure if the German FM said he wanted to remove 90% of the Turkish/German population from Germany there would be uproar and rightly so.

So when a State leader stands at a meeting about racism and questions the laws by which the palastinians and a large minority of Israeli arabs have to live under, why should elected representatives of supposedly civil countries walk out?

Would they have stayed if the speech was given by the Prime minister of Nigeria or Denmark? Israel is not perfect, no country is, but Claiming to be a democracy does not really fit with the goal of Zionism or the idea of a "Jewish state". Anyone who speaks of this is called an Anti-semite or a stoner!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Saudi Arabia and the regeime that leads it is supported by the good ole US of A. No chance of them interfering in their affairs when they need their oil.

On Point - Israel has a new even more right wing govt. that even a lot of Israelis are worried about. I'm sure if the German FM said he wanted to remove 90% of the Turkish/German population from Germany there would be uproar and rightly so.

So when a State leader stands at a meeting about racism and questions the laws by which the palastinians and a large minority of Israeli arabs have to live under, why should elected representatives of supposedly civil countries walk out?

Would they have stayed if the speech was given by the Prime minister of Nigeria or Denmark? Israel is not perfect, no country is, but Claiming to be a democracy does not really fit with the goal of Zionism or the idea of a "Jewish state". Anyone who speaks of this is called an Anti-semite or a stoner!

I see that the EU has decided to freeze a proposed upgrade in EU-Israel relations, as a result of the new government and the Gaza offensive.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Nody wrote: »
    Did you happen to read requirement for a woman to be raped according to some of these states by the way for a court hearing? The rape has to be WITNESSED by three Muslim men; if not you had not been raped as a woman.

Don't forget if a married woman accuses a man of rape and can't prove it (because of the lack of witnesses) she is taken to have admitted sex outside marriage and she can be punished for this.

Bottom line the EU does not support all Israeli policies (remember the reaction to the Gaza offensive) but unlike Iran the EU can still show respect for the Israeli people by not sitting through that anti-semitic diatribe by Ahmedinejad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Plenty of European countries put up with Apartheid South Africa for quite a long time, until they eventually coped on. So, yeah some European countries will put up with all kinds of despots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sorry but did you smoke some funny stuff lately? Did you actually read what the president of Iran was saying?

Do I like Israel? Hell no but if you want to talk offenders I'd start with walking over to Syria, Saudi Arabia etc. before I start banging on Israel about being racists. Do you have any idea what happens in Saudi Arabia? How their Filipino maids can expect to be beaten and often raped and kicked out on a moments notice while earning slave level wages? Do you have any idea how the Indians who build Dubai lives when they are not doing their 12h on the building site? Did you happen to read requirement for a woman to be raped according to some of these states by the way for a court hearing? The rape has to be WITNESSED by three Muslim men; if not you had not been raped as a woman. And lets not even go in on Iran and their treatment of people (hint, read up on the acid in face attacks).

Pointing out Israel alone as some kind of racial bully boy standing alone in that part of the world is such a big insult to any thinking person that I can't believe people would support it. The only thing done wrong was bothering to attend in the first place, UN is a waste of money organisation. We have dictator states on the board of human rights etc.

What have Saudi Arabia and Dubai got to do with Palestine and Israel?

Saudi Arabia and Dubai are US supporters like ourselves, and Israel. Does this mean Ireland and Israel support the rape of Filipino women?

Are you equating muslims with terrorists? Are you saying that all muslims are rapists? Are you saying the Irish and Israelis support the rape of Filipino women?

Explain yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, its bizarre that these countries are rarely mentioned and the West just goes on and on about Iran all the time. The walk out was very much a pot and kettle situation imho. The people who walked out are just as guilty of the same focus on there own pet causes.

To be fair Adminjaed is full of crap and is a big hypocrite, but a lot of what he said was actually true, sure it was hyperbole and in some cases he went off the reservation, but he really is no more of a hypocrite than those who walked out, who turn a blind eye to the same countries you mentioned above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dresden8 wrote: »
    What have Saudi Arabia and Dubai got to do with Palestine and Israel?
    That they are located in the same area of the world and are as much a big bunch of racists as any other nation down there and that singling out Israel as some kind of racist bully in an area of equality is a folly at best.
    Saudi Arabia and Dubai are US supporters like ourselves, and Israel. Does this mean Ireland and Israel support the rape of Filipino women?
    Yes, that was exactly the point :rolleyes:,
    Are you equating muslims with terrorists?
    Yes they are all ebil turban brown skinned terrorists who want to take my freeeeeeedoooom fries!!!1 Omgz, I heard someone say Allah, I need to run to the police right now and report him!
    Are you saying that all muslims are rapists?
    That would be an impressive in a very sick way kind of record but no, it is has nothing to do with religion and all with the country and it's traditions
    . Are you saying the Irish and Israelis support the rape of Filipino women?
    Yes, that was exactly what the intent of the post, damn, you caught me red handed.
    Explain yourself.
    Read the post a tad better next time and esp. read it in the context of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gamblor1975

Looks like it was you doing the smoking Nody.:D

I'm sure there are lots of bad things happeneing in all of the countries you mention but Israel is the only one of those with the complete support of the US and the EU. Why is this? How can we complain to China and others about their HR abuses while not saying at least the same to the Israeli Govt.

I understand that the creation of Israel was a US/Europian nation building exercise but we would not be very good friends to them if we let their country descend into what seems to be a right wing racist and ever more facist looking Nation.

The new US govt. seem to be rocking the boat a little compared to previous administrations wrt Israel and the settlers (land theives). Will George Mitchell be able to talk some sense into their FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

weren't the countries that walk out of this where the exact same ones that supported the apartheid in South Africa? :cool:

what the Iranian guy said was stupid but the other side of the coin ain't much better as seen by the massacre that was done only a few months ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

How can we complain to China and others about their HR abuses while not saying at least the same to the Israeli Govt.
    Because "diplomacy" is always about using both sides of your mouth simultaneously. Always has been and always will. I would say however that there was widespread condemnation of Israels most recent foray into Palestine. How much of it was lipservice though?

To answer the original question though, no I don't think it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Note Franco.

And regarding questioning their policies, I would personally be doing a lot more than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

After the walk out from the UN racisim meeting in Durban by the (All white) (........)community?

Though the state of Israel should indeed be treated as a 'rgoue' state, that doesn't really excuse the Iranian president from overstating his case, not least because his own house isn't exactly in order. In essence he's providing a few an excuse to to avoid annoying America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

The UN is a complete joke, I was so happy when most Western governments walked out. How could any sane and moral person stay and listen to ImADinnerJackets racist rant against Israel?? at a supposedly anti-racism conference??? lmao! What a farce and waste of money the UN is :)

If Israel were in the EU I would happily give them my support. As an atheist the majority's choice of religious deity in that country is irrelevant. I'd be more concerned with the practices of desert barbarians in the region.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=7402099&page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If Israel were in the EU I would happily give them my support. As an atheist the majority's choice of religious deity in that country is irrelevant. I'd be more concerned with the practices of desert barbarians in the region.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=7402099&page=1

Thats a bit odd, because Israel has legalised torture in certain cases......

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thread closed before it becomes another Israel/Palestine wagoncirclefest. It's barely, if at all, relevant to the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement