Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't have to sign a Lease Agreement

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just about to move into a new place (renting) and I seen on Capital D the other night that you are not obliged to sign a rental agreement when moving into rented accomodation, this gives you a bit of lee-way if you have to move on if you lose your job and cant afford the place anymore.

They were saying that in the current rental climate that you have all the cards in your hand. I'm going to see if the landlord goes for it. Are there any pitfalls. I'll need something to record the paying of the deposit but I'm sure a receipt will do for that.

Any advice out there?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can try it but most landlords will probably think you're acting the bollix and tell you to clear off.

It also means you'd have no protection from the landlord if he wants to throw you out after a couple of weeks/months and tell you to go whistle for your deposit, whether you have what you claim to be a receipt or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Actually, most LL's will want you to sign but regardless you have rights and cannot but just thrown out, see [HTML]www.threshold.ie[/HTML] for more details

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Radiotower wrote: »
    I seen on Capital D the other night that you are not obliged to sign a rental agreement when moving into rented accomodation,
    I think this sentence has the wrong emphasis. If a landlor tells you to sign the lease and you don't, he is under no obligation to give you the place.

Advertisement