Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand buyers guide

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy myself a shotgun at the minute and I was just wodering if anyone had any advice on the problems a second hand shotgun might have, and what i should look for to make sure i'm getting a gun in good nick- mechanically especially. As i would like to be able to give it the once over in the shop before I commit fully to it.

Aesthetically the condition of the stock and forend wood is the obvious place to start since they are the main parts you can see, after this i would only be feeling weight, balance and checking the fit and so on.

Obviously a o/u shotgun is a relatively simple piece of kit compared to some semi autos etc. and beretta would, as far as i can tell, would be one of the most reliable makes available, therefore there isn't going to be alot of aspects i can check out without a socket set and screwdriver.

Any advice would be useful and if anyone knows of things to be checked on other specific makes or models or even the things to check out on rifles, pistols and possibly second hand accessories like scopes etc. this could be a good buyers guide for everyone looking to buy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

the irish shooters digest this month have a great article in it ,on wot to be looking out for in buying second hand shotguns
    check no oil has seeped into the wood
    screws are not burred in the action
    check the ejectors
    bring snap caps with ya and get permission to dry fire the gun
    check the safety works
    screw the chokes in and out
    theres some ofhe points from the shooters digest this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

endasmail wrote: »
    the irish shooters digest this month have a great article in it ,on wot to be looking out for in buying second hand shotguns
    check no oil has seeped into the wood
    screws are not burred in the action
    check the ejectors
    bring snap caps with ya and get permission to dry fire the gun
    check the safety works
    screw the chokes in and out
    theres some ofhe points from the shooters digest this month

+1 and check hingepin for play

and............................................

Make sure it fits:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The best advice I was given was to hold the barrel lighty by the hinge pin and ding the barrel with your car key. If it rings like a bell then the barrrel is crack free and sound.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Take off the forend, hold the gun upside down (parallel to the ground) open the top lever and shake the gun hard side to side. If there is any movement in the barrells, it's too loose.

Examine the inside of the barrells carefully for any dents or pitting (make sure they are clean).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

When examaning the barrells look through from the muzzle end as this will show up any dents or pitting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement