Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband probs - dsl statistics?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have Eircom wireless broadband - 1mg package using the netopia router/modem in one.
    The connection drops a lot, sometimes it comes back itself after a minute or 2, other times i have to reboot the router. The last few days its been getting worse, really slow and dropping connection. Im not sure if its the wireless signal - i use a mac, sometimes when the connection drops it shows the wireless signal strength getting lower, other times when i lose connection the signal strength remains strong.
    Also getting packet loss when i ping. The router shows these stats but i dont know how to interpret them. Can anyone help? Thanks

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 26.00 30.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 6.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

speedy2007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have Eircom wireless broadband - 1mg package using the netopia router/modem in one.
    The connection drops a lot, sometimes it comes back itself after a minute or 2, other times i have to reboot the router. The last few days its been getting worse, really slow and dropping connection. Im not sure if its the wireless signal - i use a mac, sometimes when the connection drops it shows the wireless signal strength getting lower, other times when i lose connection the signal strength remains strong.
    Also getting packet loss when i ping. The router shows these stats but i dont know how to interpret them. Can anyone help? Thanks

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 26.00 30.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 6.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Your line is fine - you should connect directly to the router and see how good the performance is. You could also try changing the wireless channel or check if there is neighbour using the sam wireless channel.

By the way just to be pedantic there is no such thing as Eircom wireless bb - you get your bb over the telephone line and you are using a wireless router to distribute it. Its important to understand that if you want to try and diagnose where exactly your problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

i have the same problem with eircom netopia router. my wireless connection drops and i literally have to plug it out and then plug it back in to reset it.

when im 'wired up' as in use my ethernet cable directly into it ive no problems. im wondering how do i diagnose where the fault is.. im thinking its the actaul router itself as its quite old i ahve about 6years.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

This sounds very familiar. We just got Netopia router after a lot of battling to get the line in the first place. Now the DSL light is usually flashing (not finding a connection). We have started with the basic Eircom package.

i have the same problem with eircom netopia router. my wireless connection drops and i literally have to plug it out and then plug it back in to reset it.

when im 'wired up' as in use my ethernet cable directly into it ive no problems. im wondering how do i diagnose where the fault is.. im thinking its the actaul router itself as its quite old i ahve about 6years.

Any chance of a few capital letters next time you post? It makes things easier to read for people which is a help if you expect people in turn to help you.

Now have you actually tried anything to see if you can diagnose what might be wrong? More and more people are getting wireless routers with the result that often wireless networks clash so download netstumbler (google for it) and see if there are any wireless networks around you using the same wireless channel. Try changing you wireless channel anyway and see if it improves things.

Also are there any wireless gizmos in the house which be interfering such as a tv sender?

This sounds very familiar. We just got Netopia router after a lot of battling to get the line in the first place. Now the DSL light is usually flashing (not finding a connection). We have started with the basic Eircom package.

Could you post your line stats? How far are you from the exchange? Are you using a wireless network or ethernet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

dub45 wrote: »
    Your line is fine - you should connect directly to the router and see how good the performance is. You could also try changing the wireless channel or check if there is neighbour using the sam wireless channel.

By the way just to be pedantic there is no such thing as Eircom wireless bb - you get your bb over the telephone line and you are using a wireless router to distribute it. Its important to understand that if you want to try and diagnose where exactly your problem is.

Thanks for your help :) . I changed the wireless channel, seems a bit better so ill see how it goes for the next few days. I still get packet loss when i ping - is that something to be concerned about, or is that part and parcel of using a wireless connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

Well, I have a similar problem in Drogheda, 3Mb BB - actual speeds vary from 100Kb/s to 600Kb/s, only once, for a couple of hours, I had 2Mb/s. Now it's slow as a turtle again. Started to get worse couple of days ago, 3 I guess - I thought it's temporary... Any thoughts? Playing on xBox Live is unbearable - lags like hell...

I'm taking screenshots from IrishIspTest.com as an evidence :)

tamlinek wrote: »
    Well, I have a similar problem in Drogheda, 3Mb BB - actual speeds vary from 100Kb/s to 600Kb/s, only once, for a couple of hours, I had 2Mb/s. Now it's slow as a turtle again. Started to get worse couple of days ago, 3 I guess - I thought it's temporary... Any thoughts? Playing on xBox Live is unbearable - lags like hell...

I'm taking screenshots from IrishIspTest.com as an evidence :)

Its important to give as much information as possible when posting if you want help. You say you have a similar problem but similar to what?

You dont say if you using wireless or ethernet. Have you ever managed to get the full speed? Does your speed vary at different times of day? Have you checked your line stats? What speed are you actually syncing at?

Its important to give as much information as possible when posting if you want help. You say you have a similar problem but similar to what?

Okey dokey, I'll try.Problem is similar to the first poster's - dropping connection and slow speeds, getting worse recently.
    You dont say if you using wireless or ethernet. Have you ever managed to get the full speed? Does your speed vary at different times of day? Have you checked your line stats? What speed are you actually syncing at?

I'm using Mac OS X on desktop and Ubuntu on laptop - both with wifi, xBox 360 on ethernet, connectiong to Netgear DG834 and wirelessly to Netgear WG602v4. Modem is syncing with these details:

Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 3072 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

It was never fast (we moved in only 3 weeks ago), faster in the mornings, slower in the evenings (too many users?) but recently it's a disaster: dropping game sessions and lags on xbox, downloading one file from www takes almost all bandwith (80Kb/s download, speed test on second pc gives 25Kb/s - yesterday). I checked speeds on laptop connected with ethernet cable to router - the same results, it can't be wifi.

You will have to check your line stats then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The dropping connection could be a line issue or a WiFi issue. I'd direct connect to the modem and run a few sets of pings over a few hours and see if your still finding packet loss. If so try pinging with a diff comp and if same thing happens again its definitly the line. Have you run any speed tests? I'd imagine it aint too great ether, if your dropping packets the comp will be requesting these over and over until it gets them all, if its taking too long it may be timing out on ya.

Rule of thumb is to direct connect and run these tests, if no problem then its a WiFi issue.

it's as follows (current readings):

Downstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps
    Line Attenuation 37 db
    Noise Margin 13 db

Upstream
    Connection Speed 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 11.5 db
    Noise Margin 13 db

My current speed (on wifi) is:
    Downstream: 511 kb/s
    Upstream: 324kb/s

on ethernet (with wifi AS unplugged from modem/router):
    Downstream: 626 kb/s
    Upstream: 326 kb/s

without any additional network usage (only Safari with boards.ie and www.irishisptest.com)

well, any idea? Supermen on BB helpline do not have a clue about mac os x or linux, and just for them I won't install windows. But without windows they're worthless. I logged a line fault. What else?

Advertisement