Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a chance?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi folks, a little help would be great!

Im applying to study as a mature student, and was wondering what are the odds of me being accepted.

Bit about me: I left school 2mths before my leaving (dumb I know) to attend a course in computerized accounts packages. This led me to a career in a/cs. Im now 30, and it doesnt feel right. Now when at school, I didnt do science. It wasnt compulsary then. I have a career path in mind, but my work exp is not relevant. What are my odds for an ordinary degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi Ericka,

Saying you want to do it is a major decision and it should all fall in place from here on. Go to the college you want to attend and speak to the right people. Show them that you have the time and inclination along with a strong interest in your chosen field and your chances should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

Thanks for that Smashey.

Ive applied to a few colleges, all require application via CAO solely. Which I have done online. Is there a point prior to CAO offers where the colleges ask to meet with you? For example DIT. I spoke to Michael Seery about what Id like to do career wise, as the Forensic & Enviromental course was of particular interest. So he advised me to lay down a foundation in science. So Ive chosen a few courses.

But I suppose what Im afraid of is the fact that mature students are considered based on their life and work experiences, which I dont have any.

Would I still be considered for ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Ericka wrote: »

But I suppose what Im afraid of is the fact that mature students are considered based on their life and work experiences, which I dont have any.

You say you think your life and work experience is not appropriate but it doesn't have to fit exactly into a certain box. Like say for the forensic and environmental analysis course at DIT, an analytical mind, logical perspective and an ability to problem solve is important to succeed in the course. From your accounts experience you can certainly claim to have an analytical mind, a logical perspective and an ability to problem solve. I imagine being able to work as part of a team would be pretty important as a forensic analyst and you have proven over the past (10?) years that you are a team player.

At the moment you are certainly lacking in the scientific knowledge that is advantageous as a foundation but in my opinion that is the easiest hurdle to cross. Your life and work experience as I see it are very compatible to the course you listed above.

However even if you were accepted into that course to start in September, maybe it would be better to have a foundation year in science behind you so that you are on a level playing pitch with everyone else in the class as regards science. Having said that a lot of people in the class will have only done 1 science subject for the leaving cert so the other 2 will be new to them.

If you are worried about not getting into the course you want as a mature student your other option would be to do the leaving cert and just get in on your points.

Another option is to do a certificate course and then try to get advanced entry into the course you really want in 2 years.

If you could prove to them that you would do background reading over the summer would that assist in your application?

Thank you both for your replies, you've been a huge help. Im definitely feeling more optimistic now.

Certainly never thought I could connect my work experience to science! :)

I have chosen two courses at DIT (ordinary degrees)

* Science

* Medicinal chemistry & pharmacutical science

Hope I have at least a shot at either of those. It was my plan to get reading over the summer, and to take maths grinds in addition. So I will give it a mention too.

thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

no prob :) keep us updated on your progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd highly recommend doing the access to science and engineering course in UCD if you're unsuccessful in getting a place this year.

It's a part time course so you can study and work. It allows you to bring your knowledge of science up to university level. You study Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Study Skills.

I applied last year for a science related course but as my background was in Art so I didn't get in. So I spent this year doing the course and getting relevant work experience to the course. I got offered a place in Trinity 2 weeks ago!! :D
    I'm glad I didn't get a place last year because I think I'd be lost! The course has really given me the confidence to start in September.

Pm me if you like.

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend doing the access to science and engineering course in UCD if you're unsuccessful in getting a place this year.

Thanks for that Larianne :)

Well, I'm going to try for the access course if I'm not lucky this round. The courses I've applied for are Levels 6/7's mostly, from what I gather they would be the kind that will start a subject from scratch. So fingers crossed! :eek:

My next hurdle is the personal statement. When I was nosing around the charter, I found some samples. So I've an idea how to structure the statement. But trying to word it right is another thing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Just a quick reminder, OP, that the CAO Late Application deadline is this Friday the 1st of May!

Also, once you have sent in a late application, you should contact Cathy McCartney, the Mature Student Recruitment Officer at DIT (ms.admissions@dit.ie, (01) 402 3439) and tell her that you've sent in a late application - that way she can track you through the system. You should tell her:

- your name
    - your CAO number
    - the course(s) you've applied for
    - when you sent in your application.

Best of luck with your application!

Bob
    (Mature Student Support Officer, DIT)

ditmature wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder, OP, that the CAO Late Application deadline is this Friday the 1st of May!

Also, once you have sent in a late application, you should contact Cathy McCartney, the Mature Student Recruitment Officer at DIT (ms.admissions@dit.ie, (01) 402 3439) and tell her that you've sent in a late application - that way she can track you through the system. You should tell her:

- your name
    - your CAO number
    - the course(s) you've applied for
    - when you sent in your application.

Best of luck with your application!

Bob
    (Mature Student Support Officer, DIT)

Hey thanks a mil for the tip! will email her straight away. I got my application in on time, and the receipt post card is back. yay! :) So I should contact the mature student recruitment for each college I've applied to? Really hope I get DIT though :)

Im just a little worried that my personal statement wasn't long enough. It was only a page, and not a full one at that! :o But I think I got all the important stuff in there. The next step I assume is mature interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Yup, that's the next step. If successful, you should be invited to interview in the next few weeks...

Note: If the course(s) that you have applied for are particularly popular and have a lot of mature applicants, we can't guarantee that your application will be given the same consideration as one that came in on time. Sorry...

Best of luck!

Bob

• Advertisement

ditmature wrote: »
    Note: If the course(s) that you have applied for are particularly popular and have a lot of mature applicants, we can't guarantee that your application will be given the same consideration as one that came in on time. Sorry...

Best of luck!

Bob

Well heres hoping all the matures are going for business and languages this year! :D

I emailed Cathy and she replied back this morning, which was a relief of sorts. Given that I want to go down the forensic science route eventually, I have to go over what I'm going to say at the interview, don't want to freak anyone out :pac: You've been a great help Bob, thanks a million. Fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Erika, I started the Forensic course in DIT last year as a mature student. So if you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask me. :)
    I had done a science PLC course after Leaving cert, and had experence of working in a lab, and found some parts a bit hard to begin with. But there is no better feeling than doing some thing you are interested in.
    Is there any PLC course that would help you going into a science degree? (That question is to every one :D)

Erika, I started the Forensic course in DIT last year as a mature student. So if you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask me. :)
    I had done a science PLC course after Leaving cert, and had experence of working in a lab, and found some parts a bit hard to begin with. But there is no better feeling than doing some thing you are interested in.
    Is there any PLC course that would help you going into a science degree? (That question is to every one :D)

Hi Tony - oh my god! what is it like?? :eek:

I haven't done a PLC course or anything, but yeah, I definitely would :) I'll do whatever it takes to get onto a degree. I've an insaitable interest in forensics. All aspects of it to be honest. Watching post-mortem procedures online, researching forensics crime scene procedue, and have a stack of books from the library on DNA and the likes. I think I'm freaking everyone out at this point :D

Well, first year is made up of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Plant, micro and cell), IT, Professional Skills, and Forensics and Environmental......stuff.
    And there are practical labs for Physics, Chemistry and the 3 biology classes.
    In semester 2 we had one lecture a week in Forensics and Environmental stuff and a 2 hour lab every second week. Just doing stuff like finger printing, testing unknown chemicals, etc.
    There is a lot of chemistry involved, it is really a analytical chemistry course. Just so you know, it's nothing like CSI :P but is interesting. I'm loving it so far.
    Here is a course description

Best of luck to you in whatever you do!

Well, first year is made up of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Plant, micro and cell), IT, Professional Skills, and Forensics and Environmental......stuff.
    And there are practical labs for Physics, Chemistry and the 3 biology classes.
    In semester 2 we had one lecture a week in Forensics and Environmental stuff and a 2 hour lab every second week. Just doing stuff like finger printing, testing unknown chemicals, etc.
    There is a lot of chemistry involved, it is really a analytical chemistry course. Just so you know, it's nothing like CSI :P but is interesting. I'm loving it so far.
    Here is a course description

Best of luck to you in whatever you do!

I laughed at the CSI reference, thats what my mother calls me .. "oh here comes CSI" :D No my interest in it, has nothing to do with those kinds of shows. In fact, they make me cringe. Its not a glamourous job, and you have to be capable of being emotionally detatched too. Thats not for everyone, but I think I'd manage it ;)

So you are doing the Forensic and envirnonmental?! I threw that onto my CAO application too. I know I wouldn't get it because I don't have a science background, but no harm in them knowing the direction I want to go in. I have applied for two PLC courses: Pre-uni Science and Medical laboratory science. At this point, I don't care where I have to go to set me in on the right path :) Can't wait to sink my teeth into it all :D

Is that Med Lab science in Colaiste Dhulaigh by any chance? :D Did that meself, few years ago. Was a few people in it to get the science for college.

Is that Med Lab science in Colaiste Dhulaigh by any chance? :D Did that meself, few years ago. Was a few people in it to get the science for college.

The very one. I was really psyched when I read up on the courses. If that is what I have to do, then fair enough.

Helllllo mentor! :D

either of those plc courses would help. Talk to m. Seery as well about it. I seem to remember some colleges having an agreement to accept students who have done them. But make sure first :) best of luck grass hopper!

Advertisement