Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - No Upload in Tallaght/firhouse

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having intermittent problems with UPC broadband in the evenings. The upload speed has dropped to zero for the past few weeks, usually happens from 7pm to 9pm onwards.

The download speed can drop as low as 2Mbs but the 0.01 upload makes surfing impossible. Tested using speedtest.net & upcmail.nl/speedtest

Have had engineers out to test the line twice and am on my second cable modem. No wireless, just ethernet cable connection.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

UPC throttle certain type of traffic between 17:00 and 00:00 Monday to Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

If that is the case everyone would be affected and gettting the same performance issues I'm getting.

I asked them about that when I spoke to a tech support bod earlier and she said it is untrue and not to believe everything you read on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

cdb wrote: »
    If that is the case everyone would be affected and gettting the same performance issues I'm getting.

I asked them about that when I spoke to a tech support bod earlier and she said it is untrue and not to believe everything you read on boards!

Check the P2P thread and another similar thread to this one that was posted last week some time.

I've posted an email I got from UPC confirming it after I asked them why P2P programs weren't working correctly.

If you want I will forward the email to you.

I don't doubt it Chopper, just saying that if it is an issue with traffic shaping or throttling, or new node installation or whatever, why would they go to all the bother of sending out engineers on two occasions, running multiple line tests and checks, modem reboots, replacing ethernet cables etc and generally wasting my time and theirs if they know that none of it makes any difference. Would it not be easy enough to resolve or at least explain if it was traffic shaping/throttling?

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what you are saying and you may be spot on, but if everyone in the area was unable to download a single webpage would boards not be lit up with angry punters.

So after countless calls to UPC (10+), a new modem and two site visits by engineers, the problem is still occuring and browsing is impossible after 9 p.m.

The broadband technical support team have effectively washed their hands of it, they say that my pc is at fault despite me borrowing a laptop and seeing the same non-existient upload speed.

I was advised by UPC themselves that the only way forward was to raise an official complaint with UPC.

How does a public facing company manage to achieve such appalling levels of customer service so consistently. If there was an annual prize for worst customer service they'd be reigning champions!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Have you checked with any of your neighbours that have UPC broadband?

I'm in Aylesbury myself(not too far from you), and I've never had a problem...yet.

Just talking to the next door neighbour who has UPC broadband. He said he was getting the same poor internet performance last week but as he works night shifts he hasn't be around to check it since. He even called UPc to complain but got the usual 'plug out the modem' routine.

If you are online later can you post the speed you get after 10 o'clock.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

UPC throttle certain type of traffic between 17:00 and 00:00 Monday to Friday.

Do you know what type of traffic?

Is the fault fixed??

The automated answering service on UPc's broadband support line last night said that engineers were working on known problems in the Rathfarnham area affecting a number of estates. Mine was one of those mentioned. It seems to be better but not perfect, going to keep an eye on it anyway and see how it goes later on.

Edit: the post below shows a slight improvement but internet usage is fairly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im in Knocklyon and for the last 5 days or so everyday between 4 and 5 my connection drops and can take up to 10 mins to reconnect.
    Working from home with no phone or BB is highly productive!

• Advertisement

464484053.png

This is the first speedtest to complete without an upload error while the problem is occuring. 0.06 Mb/s up is actually quite good these days

464713777.png

This is what I got at 10am on Saturday morning. All looks good at that time.

Advertisement