Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Source & amp for Sennheiser HD800

• 23-04-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at going a bit nutty and buying a pair of Sennheiser HD800's to replace my perfectly good HD595's. When I set myself on something, I can't relax till I have it.

The question is what CD player and headphone amp would be a good enough source to do justice to these headphones?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Buying headphones first is a unique way of building a system but I suppose it's as valid as any. One thing I will say is that The 800s are great headphones and there's no point in plugging them into cheap and cheerful gear. Expect to dig a little deep for better quality stuff. You might be better off looking for a good pre-amp or integrated amp that has a headphone socket rather than just a 'phone amp. It means you can add speakers or a power amp later, they're generally better quality than a stand-alone 'phone amp as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

All reputable brand CD players will produce a higher quality output than any headphone could resolve, so it doesn't matter which you get.

I doubt you even need a headphone amp. If the CD player has a headphone output, I very much doubt you would get an improvement in sound quality by using an amp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

cnocbui: I'm sorry, but you really don't seem to understand how GOOD these phones are... Even with my HD595's I need an amp for some sources.

So yes, a great source and connection WILL make the difference with these cans. It's just what to go for that has me befuzzled.

To purely power these cans will require more than jst a headphone socket as well. You aren't getting nearly all that high end cans can offer if they arent being powered sufficiently.

With my current 595's I'm prone to melting into a great track, I wanna melt more. Expensive, but it's not really something you will change for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui: I'm sorry, but you really don't seem to understand how GOOD these phones are... Even with my HD595's I need an amp for some sources.

I have a pair of Sony MDR D-77s 5 - 30,000hz fq response, with amorphous diamond coated 40mm drivers.

I might have a small inkling as to how good yours are. :cool:
    So yes, a great source and connection WILL make the difference with these cans. It's just what to go for that has me befuzzled.

To purely power these cans will require more than jst a headphone socket as well. You aren't getting nearly all that high end cans can offer if they arent being powered sufficiently.

With my current 595's I'm prone to melting into a great track, I wanna melt more. Expensive, but it's not really something you will change for a very long time.

Your phones sensitivity: 102 dB (1kHz/1Vrms) - (wish they would give the spec in mW)

So with your phones, you get 102 db sound level for an input of 1 volt. So let's imagine you would really like to inflict permanent hearing damage and like to listen at 111 db. That's going to require a staggering 2.8 volts to achieve.

A single suitably biased transistor will give you that.

I personally do not see how you could possibly need a seperate 'amp' to provide 2.8 volts, but if you do, go for it.

Advertisement