Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To anyone doing Computer science...

Options
  • 23-04-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hello,

I am currently a 6th year student and doing my leaving soon (Grrrr).
    I put computer science as my first choice on my CAO and it looks like the only course in the whole of Ireland that seems interesting.
    During the easter holidays it became apparent that I am a complete waster and have absolutly no initative to do any study. (1hr total over the easter :mad:)
    So I was just wondering if there is an alternate route into the college, either through a PLC college or other.

Any help Appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Rathmines do a course in computer programming that is one year
    long and can allow you to transfer into first year DIT Computer Science.

You will have programming, Networking ect which are interesting.
    Be prepared to work hard and endure some dodegy subjects.

Just remember, falling behind is the worst thing you can do.
    Lecturing standards vary from Good, to almost comical/surreal.

I don't want to scare you off, but there is a VERY poor retention rate across
    most of the Computing courses in DIT. There is a good reason why such
    courses attract a sub 300 points CAO score.

Keep an open mind and pick the course that suits you the most.
    If you work hard, you will be fine.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

If you are in any way unsure about doing Computer Science, then don't do the honours degree at DIT. it doesn't allow you to leave with a qualification after year 2 or 3. So, if you get majorly pissed/bored with the course half-way through, what do you do? it happened to me after year 3 and then I left (I'm now on the verge of my second degree in something else though).

You're better of starting with a Higher Cert (2 years) somewhere, or else and ordinary BSc (three years).

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NerfNerder

Kevster wrote: »
    Hi,

If you are in any way unsure about doing Computer Science, then don't do the honours degree at DIT. it doesn't allow you to leave with a qualification after year 2 or 3.

The other computer course in DIT allows you to exit after second year with a certificate and third year with an ordinary degree. Well it did when I started it anyway, so that could also be worth looking into if you are not dure. The code is dt211. As the others said above though you need to be prepared to do a serious amount of study in the computing courses to be successful in them. Not trying to scare you, just advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm not so sure... ...I know that there was a course where you could leave after years 2 and 3 a few years ago, but that course is now gone/changed. DT211 just seems to be a straight honours degree now.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt211/index3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NerfNerder

Kevster wrote: »
    I'm not so sure... ...I know that there was a course where you could leave after years 2 and 3 a few years ago, but that course is now gone/changed. DT211 just seems to be a straight honours degree now.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt211/index3.html

Ah I see they have changed it. I started it before they changed it, so I still have the chance to get out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

You could get out of it when it was FT211, but they changed it to DT211.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Dudes,

DT211 changed its name from FT211 because the DIT changed the name of all courses. This change did NOT eliminate the exit points at year 2 and 3.

As someone who is involved in DT211/3 I can assure you that the exit points ARE still there, as stated in the FAQ from the website :-

DT211 B.Sc. in Computing is a 4 year full-time degree course leading to an Honours B.Sc. in Computing with optional exit points after years two (with a Higher Certificate) or after year three (with an ordinary degree).

Question 2:-
    http://www.comp.dit.ie//DT211/DT211FAQ.html

The course co-oridnator is Patricia O'Byrne who is an absolutely lovely person and will be happy to take an queries about the course.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/pobyrne/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Posted some info of my experience in the IT sector right now in here, if its any use to anyone.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59976731&postcount=108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

NiteOwl2 wrote: »
    The course co-oridnator is Patricia O'Byrne who is an absolutely lovely person and will be happy to take an queries about the course.
    [/quote]

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

donfarrell wrote: »
    Hello,

During the easter holidays it became apparent that I am a complete waster and have absolutly no initative to do any study. (1hr total over the easter :mad:)

Seems like you'll fit right in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Colaiste Dhulaigh took me and whats left of 20 wasters in '07. 6 of us left now and hopefully we will all get into DIT.

Either way they have a progression route with DIT, I got 250 on the LC with a failed maths. Repeated the maths in night classes while doing the first year of Comp Sci in Dhulaigh. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff that have dragged me kicking and screaming this far. Great people who really care about their students.

As far as the course contents. I believe the first year is pretty basic. Maintanence and Theory behind hardware, networking. Spreadsheet methods, Java programming,maths, web authoring and communications.

Second year has Java programming, Visual Basic(Windows programming). Networks, data communication, web authoring, comp architecture, databases etc etc.

It is a pretty solid route to DIT if you pull your own wait and actually have an interest in computers, As it stands now I have seen some 14 people and heard of a further 11 drop out of Computer Science courses because they never gave a rats about computers in the first place, lacking experience with them etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

bobbbb wrote: »
    Posted some info of my experience in the IT sector right now in here, if its any use to anyone.

Companies right now are just not willing to make that investment in grads. They need experienced people who can hit the ground running and know the businesses intricacies inside out. They need people with the experience to know what is the best way to work and complete their assignments.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59976731&postcount=108

But what happens when the experienced people ask for more money? And it is happening, there are IT jobs out there - companies then have to decide wheter to pay more money to the experienced worker or employ a graduate, and at this moment it is the companies who are financially suffering - so in a lot of cases companies have to cut loses and employ graduates

Perspective employees / graduates need to keep this in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

john47832 wrote: »
    But what happens when the experienced people ask for more money? And it is happening, there are IT jobs out there - companies then have to decide wheter to pay more money to the experienced worker or employ a graduate, and at this moment it is the companies who are financially suffering - so in a lot of cases companies have to cut loses and employ graduates

Perspective employees / graduates need to keep this in mind

They are already asking for more money. Sometimes you have to let them leave. Others you have to keep. Generally they themselves know what they can command.

In good times grads are taken on for this reason. But right now grads jusrt re not worth the investment before they start paying off. As you say though it will get better for grads once the economy starts to pick up.

Advertisement