Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sms alerts

Options
  • 23-04-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Has anyone used / can reccomend an app that will forward snmp traps via sms messages?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi,

can you give a little more info on what your doing? Is it coming from a server, a piece of equipment???

I think I know of something that will do it but ill need a little more info as my snmp knowlwdge a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

What I'd do (linux):

Write a small script to handle the snmptraps, parsing them and then use gnokii and a mobile phone to send the sms messages. Alternativly, interface with a provider like clickatell.

Bear in mind this could result in a load of sms', unless you include some logic like "only alert me if you get x traps in y minutes" - unless you definitly want to get every trap.

I have small scripts that do both of these methods - let me know if thats what you want and i'll post them up...

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

does anyone know how to send a private text?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Stiff Kitten,

Unless you explain why you what to send "private" texts I sure as hell aint going to tell you!!! Let us know what for as text sending is a sensitive and often illegal practice if done for the wrong reasons.

OP

I use a service where emails can be converted to texts. Is it possible your packets can be mailed to an address? The system then converts it all an alerts your nominated number.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Converting mails to SMS would be the easiest solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 robtee

Right, so I have an snmp server (windows based) that I need to forward certain snmp traps to a group of mobile numbers. Easiest solution is to forward a mail to a mail server and have an app such as pagegate [http://www.notepager.com/pagegate.htm] monitor the mail account and forward an sms via a directly attached gsm dongle or similar.

The problem with doing this is being dependent on your mail server / path to mail server. I was wondering if anyone has set up something like this or had any experience implementing it?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

how do i send a text with my own number blocked??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

In general with a mobile you can't.

I'm not about to tell you how to do it either, as generally the only reason someone wants to do this is for underhanded purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Is it just me or is there two different conversations going on in this thread?

stiff kitten start a new thread if you've got a question to ask rather than hijacking someone elses thread with a one line question that has no relation to the original post.

Now can we get back to helping out robtee with his question.

*mumbles about hangovers & bad moods

Advertisement