Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating System - Low Pressure

Options
  • 23-04-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Anyone with experience of a Volkera Mynute 14se boiler system.
    I've added a rad and to do so drained the system but when re-filling it I cannot get the pressure to go above 1/2 a bar.
    There definitely no leaks and no airlocks.
    I've also checked that the valve that allows for re-filling is open and not jammed shut.
    I've tried draining and refilling a second time but only get to the same level.
    Could there be a valve that limits the amount of water in the system or somesuch?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

1/2 a bar should be enough to allow the boiler to work! You didn't say if the boiler was working or not!!

It could be a number of things....
    1. If there is a Pressure Reducing Valve fitted it could be set at 1/2 bar.... I hate them!!:mad:
    2. It may only be fed from the tanks in the attic and so will only have whatever pressure the "head" height will give
    3. You may have a faulty gauge!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

Thanks Minigolf
    To answer you're questions it doesn't come on straight away.
    The pump works for a while, some times as long as an hour, the pressure builds up a little over the half bar and the boiler fires.
    Does that give any clues for your 3 pointers?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Air lock!!!??

Turn off the boiler/pump and let settle.... bleed downstairs first then upstairs.

Is the fill valve on a flexible pipe or a gate /lever valve??
    Where is the fill valve?

I did try that but will do it eactly as you suggest.
    The fill valve is upstairs in the hot press, its a gate valve
    Thanks

Hi MiniGolf
    I've done as you suggest and slap me with a wet fish and call me sally but there was quite a bit of air in the system again!!
    I've switched back on the heating and it fired up but still only the 1/2 bar pressure.
    I suppose the real test is if it fires 1st thing in the morning.
    Can it work alright on that little pressure?
    Thanks so much again for you help

• Advertisement

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Air lock!!!??

Turn off the boiler/pump and let settle.... bleed downstairs first then upstairs.

Is the fill valve on a flexible pipe or a gate /lever valve??
    Where is the fill valve?

Hi again,
    Thanks again to Minigolf for the help but I've given it a couple of days and the system still takes about an hour to fire when its been off for a while, the pressure still doesn't come over about 0.6bar.
    Any suggestions are gratefully received.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Hi , I have the same boiler in my house , it seems like its normal pressure for these boliers , i think the book says it should be 1.5 or 2 , but mine has always been about .6 and hasnt given any trouble yet (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

1/2 a bar pressure is fine on this boiler your problem is not pressure, the boiler shouldn't take so long to fire what might be wrong is that the water pressire switch isn't been closed straight away because the by-pass in the flow manifold is blocked with dirt after you drained the system. It's easy enough to clean if your handy but pressure needs to be drained from the boiler.

I have sent you a pm.

John

Advertisement