Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand

Options
  • 23-04-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

i'm probably going to be moving to Thailand for a year or over.
    by the looks of it i'll be goin on my own, friends tied down, skint etc.

but i'm mad to get tah feck outta here bigtime, plus anyone i know who's went travellin said they'd much prefer it on their own if they went again because of obvious things like one wanting to do this/go here and the other wanting to do different.

anyway, my questions
    has anyone experience of thailand?
    how good do you think going solo would be?
    and last but not least how much spondoolies would ye recommend for a year there, not going absolutely mental but living comfortably enough?

ive worked out accomadation for a year would be less than 2 grand anyway which is sweet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Do you have a work visa? Otherwise, your visa stamp will be for 30-days. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't stay for a year, but would entail eleven border runs to Cambodia.

A meal on the streets would cost 20 baht, 100 baht for a beer and a taxi meter starts at 35 baht.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

You an get an educational visa which will cover you for 1 year from the thai consulate in birmingham in england.It will cost 105 pounds sterling you need to download a form fom their website( only about 8 questions nothing major) and have 2 passport sized photos and your passport with you when you go over.If you contact one of the many muay thai camps over there they will sned you a letter saying your are going to Thailand to study Muay Thai at their camp.I done it last year and got my Visa in about 2 monutes. The educational visa is for 4 90 day stays in a row so every 90 days you have to do a visa run.You can do these by bus or plane and they are handy enough all you do is leave the country get your passport stamped and head straight back. I spent 7 months in thailand last year and had a ball.If you have any more questions just let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Bidanged wrote: »
    I spent 7 months in thailand last year and had a ball.If you have any more questions just let me know!

If you wouldnt mind answering a few more questions that would be nice, Did you work over there??
    What was the cost of an aparment??
    How did you find the language barrier??
    What was the night-life like??
    Where was your favourite part of the country and why??

Nah I didnt work over there its very very hard to get a job over there unless your a thai just saved and saved before I went .

I spent most of my time in a muay Thai camp training on the island of Phuket.I rented a bungalow at a cost of about 150 euro a month I think it was bear in mind the camp was about 40 minutes away from the party bit if thats what your thinking but if you go to Phuket theres 21 beaches on it so you are never moe than ten minutes from one.

Most Thais have got decent english and they are the nicest folks you will ever run intoaswell I have to say you will see some of them living in rough circumstances but they are always smiling well most of them anyway

The nightlife depends on where you go if you are in the likes of Patong pattaya and bangkok it can get a bit much theres constant people trying to sell you suits and all manner of things and the girls wont leave you alone but if you go to the islands like Ko Laanta Phi Phi Phang nan and samuiits alot more like being away in europe and if you are into diving and stuff like that its unreal.You can go to Krabi if you like rockclimbing and the like theres a lot to do everywhere basically just some places are a bit much at night but everyhere you go you will be able to go and see some Muay Thai fights its Thailands national sport and its a great night out!

My fave part was Ko Phang nan its where they have the full moon parties its quiet duringthe day kinda lazy but it transforms at night into a big massive beach party thousands of people ona beach just having a laugh and Phi Phi was great aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Bidanged wrote: »
    Nah I didnt work over there its very very hard to get a job over there unless your a thai just saved and saved before I went .

I spent most of my time in a muay Thai camp training on the island of Phuket.I rented a bungalow at a cost of about 150 euro a month I think it was bear in mind the camp was about 40 minutes away from the party bit if thats what your thinking but if you go to Phuket theres 21 beaches on it so you are never moe than ten minutes from one.

Most Thais have got decent english and they are the nicest folks you will ever run intoaswell I have to say you will see some of them living in rough circumstances but they are always smiling well most of them anyway

The nightlife depends on where you go if you are in the likes of Patong pattaya and bangkok it can get a bit much theres constant people trying to sell you suits and all manner of things and the girls wont leave you alone but if you go to the islands like Ko Laanta Phi Phi Phang nan and samuiits alot more like being away in europe and if you are into diving and stuff like that its unreal.You can go to Krabi if you like rockclimbing and the like theres a lot to do everywhere basically just some places are a bit much at night but everyhere you go you will be able to go and see some Muay Thai fights its Thailands national sport and its a great night out!

My fave part was Ko Phang nan its where they have the full moon parties its quiet duringthe day kinda lazy but it transforms at night into a big massive beach party thousands of people ona beach just having a laugh and Phi Phi was great aswell

Thanks for the reply it was very helpfull. How much did your trip cost you if i dont mind me asking n for how long, oh and what kind of living did you get with that money like where you living it up or what?? I myself would be thinking of about 6months over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Max Cohen

excellent bidanged, i appreciate the reply.
    thought beer would be cheaper tho :eek:
    that's gonna be a big part of my diet!
    So im fairly safe with the 2 grand for accomadation you'd say?
    also, just wondering did you go it alone?
    cuz one of my mates is now on about goin but it will take him months to save up and i'm mad to get going tbh.
    i have my reservations about doin it but from what ive gathered it's meant to be great.
    a guy i know did a year there for 6 grand give or take but by the time i go i should have a decent enough bit more, nothing crazy but i should be alright...this is my biggest issue i suppose.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Max Cohen wrote: »
    excellent bidanged, i appreciate the reply.
    thought beer would be cheaper tho :eek:
    that's gonna be a big part of my diet!
    So im fairly safe with the 2 grand for accomadation you'd say?
    also, just wondering did you go it alone?
    cuz one of my mates is now on about goin but it will take him months to save up and i'm mad to get going tbh.
    i have my reservations about doin it but from what ive gathered it's meant to be great.
    a guy i know did a year there for 6 grand give or take but by the time i go i should have a decent enough bit more, nothing crazy but i should be alright...this is my biggest issue i suppose.
    cheers

you can get beer for about 35 baht for a big bottle in the 7 elevens and its about 60 baht on the beach on koh phangan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BUSHtheBOLLOX

im off to thailand myself in august for 6 months.im just wondering about my shots if anybody could shed some light on the subject like prices or even the cheapest place to get them.my mate got his and they set him back 300euro in the clinic in dun laoghaire,any info would really help.thanks

Went to the tropica clinic i think its called just off grafton st in dublin opposite side to bruxekkes and my jabs cost me 147 yoyo just call in and make an appointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowstar

hey just saw this post. Im currently livin in Bangkok but seems were goin about it 2 diff ways ha ha!! Im here to save money and head off again. Ive done my travellin bit already and now workin like mad to get out of here. Been back in Bangkok for about a month or so. Stayin in a place that costs about 100e a month so 2000 shud be grand for accom. Not sure what its like on the islands but livin in Bangkok on ur own is quite lonely at times tbh. But for a guy I think its alot easier here, loads of thai girls hittin on u and wanting to be friends etc.. think all d males r terrified of us!! Beer in a 7/11 is now 60baht cheapest but 100 for anythin that wont give u a headache!! The islands are lovely koh Tao was my fav d water there is savage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowstar

oh yea got my jabs in the topical medical center as wel think it was best cos u only get one charge to see the doctor plus d diff jabs even if u go back a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Having looked at this old threads, Would like to open it up again...... I bought two condo in 2005 for €110,000, rented them to Aussie and English guy, got 25,000 baht a month from both, That is nearly €620 a month, Made €44,000 including interest from Thai Bank and Condo maintence... Planning to retire there in few years time... Will live in one condo and rent the other to live on.. 15,000 baht rent income
    40,000 pension
    16,000 house in ireland rent
    That is a total of 71,000 baht available to live on... 60,000 baht is sufficient
    Will invest Lump sum pension and Condo rent income into Post office bonds for 10 years at 47.5% tax free... Roughly 150,000 to invest, Potential returns of €221,250 including €71,250 interest... That is all my plan, Depending the Euro, they may collapse sometime dragging the Irish bank into it... Hopefully it wont...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

How did you bypass the restriction on Foreigners owning property introduced under the Thaksin Shinawatra regime?

Can you inform me how to form a shell company which enables a foreigner to purchase Thai property without a Thai business partner?

Otherwise, its nice to see someone do well and reap the rewards and relax in life.

dermo88 wrote: »
    How did you bypass the restriction on Foreigners owning property introduced under the Thaksin Shinawatra regime?

Can you inform me how to form a shell company which enables a foreigner to purchase Thai property without a Thai business partner?

Otherwise, its nice to see someone do well and reap the rewards and relax in life.

You can own the condo 100% . but Thai must own 51 % of the condo building with farang owning 49%,. House can be owned from farang but had to be on land owned by thai not farang. Leased every 10/20/30 years to the thai, I think. Very complicated rules . Buying a property in Thailand is very risky business because of their politics are not healthy, also the Red shirts and the Yellow shirts supporters hating each other , they both respect the King but what will happen if the King dies, will there be a civil war between the red shirts and the yellow shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzare

i live in thailand ..its brilliant .. you will love it

the websites below have great forums, both of which will tell you all the ino you need to know.

get yourself a triple entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Dublin, you can get a decent apartment here for 150 euro a month..

cost of living is cheap, food is fantastic, the women are beautiful, and the sun shines all the time

www.ajarn.com

www.thaivisa.com

Going to Thailand this tuesday(4th Sept) for 6 weeks break... Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Please, please, please don't go to live in Thailand without travel insurance. Bailing a sick relative out of there broke our bank this year.

Please, please, please don't go to live in Thailand without travel insurance. Bailing a sick relative out of there broke our bank this year.

Oh yeah defintely, Would be a fool if you dont have one. Living as a Expat in Thailand you have to insure yourself for up to 50,000 bt (€1,315) approx a year. Depending your age. I heard some companies wont insure you if you are over 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm unsure as to what our relative would have paid for travel insurance but he was not officially an ex-pat, just living there on a year to year basis, flying in and out of Malaysia to get his passport stamped and going home once a year to get his visa renewed.

He said that "you can only get travel insurance for up to 30 days" which is patent nonsense and that "it's an extra expense" - no **** Sherlock, but it wouldn't have been as expensive as us having to fly out to bail his ass out of a Thai hospital the day after we bought a house.

He's 60 and a heavy smoker and drinker. When he took his inevitable stroke his country's health insurance would pay for his hospital care while he needed it. Anything else, like surgery and rehab, would have to happen in his own country. We had to talk the Thai hospital into keeping him in until we could arrange flights home. At one stage we were facing an over 60k bill for an accompanied stretcher flight back. Thankfully he was eventually able to get on his feet enough to make it (accompanied) to a toilet and so the return flight requirements were downgraded to business class flights with a relative.

As soon as he's done in rehab he's going back, he says. If he goes without travel insurance then good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

interesting stuff....i wonder what ever happened to 'Max Cohen' as he hasnt posted any updates since his move, maybe he switched full-time to 'Thaivisa' or 'Pattaya addicts':D

im a dub living over here in Chonburi, about 15km's to pattaya, once you go outside of the tourist area's most Thai's will not be able to speak english but they will try if you make an effort, its all about respect over here, treat others the way you would like to be treated.....& smile alot:)

Anyone coming over here should try to learn a few basic phrases;

Good free thai language website is http://www.freelearningthai.com/speakingthai.htm

Also, very respectful is 'wai'

Thais don't normally shake hands when they greet one another but press the palms together in a prayer-like gesture.

They call this: "wai". If you meet a Thai & they greet you like this, then you should respond by doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

I'm living in Bangkok for over two years and if anybody wants to ask a question shoot away. It's a great country to spend some time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm living in Bangkok for over two years and if anybody wants to ask a question shoot away. It's a great country to spend some time in.

Would I be crazy to even consider looking for a graduate management job there if I only speak English?
    Best Western Hotels only have their ads in English so is it safe to assume that you can start work with no Thai?
    Do you know anyone who works other than teaching English?

Yes you can but it would be difficult. I suppose half the people I know teach English but there are ways of getting some other jobs. You would probably only get a job by moving with a multinational company by transference. They are quite protectionist to most jobs and if a Thai can take up a job then its forbidden in law for a foreigner to do it. If you google you will find a list of jobs exempt, teaching among that list obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Is anyone living in Bangkok?

Best websites I have found so far are
    http://www.mrroomfinder.com/startsearch.php
    http://en.9apartment.com/search/

Is there anywhere possible to find info on what the different suburbs are like? Will be working in Sathorn/Sathon which seems to be a central business area. Any recommendations on what suburbs are cheaper to live in but still an easy/short commute by train/metro?

Regarding accommodation is it normal for places to not have a kitchen? What's the deal?

crazy8 wrote: »
    Is anyone living in Bangkok?

Best websites I have found so far are
    http://www.mrroomfinder.com/startsearch.php
    http://en.9apartment.com/search/

Is there anywhere possible to find info on what the different suburbs are like? Will be working in Sathorn/Sathon which seems to be a central business area. Any recommendations on what suburbs are cheaper to live in but still an easy/short commute by train/metro?

Regarding accommodation is it normal for places to not have a kitchen? What's the deal?

Have a look at BK Magazine, they have done some good neighbourhood comparisons over the years. Where exactly will you be working? I live in Sathorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>ive worked out accomadation for a year would be less than 2 grand anyway which is sweet <<
    Old post this from 6 years ago .I have lived in Thailand for the last 7 years now ,so can maybe update it .Main difference from back then is that the Thai bath has increased in value against the Euro .From around B48 back then to B35 now .
    Things are still cheap though compared to Ireland ,especially accommodation .Where i live in Chiang Mai you can get a basic studio apartment ,with its own bathroom /toilet ,balcony for around B5000 a month upwards .There is no shortage of such places and you can get a place ,within a day or two .Two months deposit plus a month in advance usually required .
    Street meals usually B30 .Scooter rental from B2,500 a month .Beer not so cheap ,as take away prices about the same as Ireland but pub prices cheaper at roughly B80 a pint (E2 a pint ,as they serve 630ml ) .
    For anyone thinking of doing English teaching ,a degree is required (in any subject ) plus the TEFL .Pay starts at around B25,000 a month .Those with a couple years experience and working at an International school can earn double that .Any other questions feel free to ask .

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

I have been to Chiang Mai before but didn't stay there long. I used it as a starting point with a friend of mine for a biking trip through the mountains- the Mae Hong song loop. What a trip, amazing scenery and the roads were in much better state than I thought they would be. Much better than equivalent roads you would find in Ireland. The bikes were more so off-road and weren't ideal but probably better to have than a full road bike due to the little bit of exploring we done off the main roads. You mention the increased buying power of the baht so for someone who is living off foreign sources income over that period they would have lost a lot of there buying power. I presume this trend will continue not just on the exchange rate but on the prices of things locally in Thailand as the country becomes more affluent over time, what is your take on this? Have you lived exclusively in chiang mai while in Thailand or have you tried a few different places? For me I think chiang mai would be top of my list for a place to relocate if I was to go to Thailand, it's just the language barrier there that often turns me off, I would think that is a hard language to learn? Would be interested in your insight into how things have changed there while you have been there? How the expats there are, friendly and generally nice or untrustworthy? How do the locals and foreigners get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I definitely lean towards Chiang Mai as a place to live. I've never actually lived there, but I spent a month there in April and it was just so much more relaxed compared to Bangkok. So much cheaper to live in Chiang Mai too. My friend rents a 3 bedroom house there (not in the center, but within daily commuting distance) and he pays about 8000 baht a month. I rent a 1 bedroom apartment on the outskirts of Bangkok and it costs me 11,000 a month. Bangkok has a way of just eating up your money if you're not careful.

Advertisement