Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird door to door chugger behaviour

Options
  • 23-04-2009 7:03pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My husband has been home working all day and there have been 2 chuggers in red vests going around since about 11am randomly knocking on doors. They knocked here around 2pm and he ignored them. They came back again at 5 (in fact they've been going past about once an hour and not knocking, we live on a cul de sac). The charity is a UK one I never heard of. They went in next door there and when she didn't answer they noted something down.

Am I being totally paranoid thinking they might be scoping out work times and who lives where? Anyone else have these guys around?

When we answered the door at 5 we were told they couldn't leave any info for us to consider but would come back in a half hour, they haven't despite going past twice now and even visiting next door.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 midouri

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My husband has been home working all day and there have been 2 chuggers in red vests going around since about 11am randomly knocking on doors. They knocked here around 2pm and he ignored them. They came back again at 5 (in fact they've been going past about once an hour and not knocking, we live on a cul de sac). The charity is a UK one I never heard of. They went in next door there and when she didn't answer they noted something down.

Am I being totally paranoid thinking they might be scoping out work times and who lives where? Anyone else have these guys around?

When we answered the door at 5 we were told they couldn't leave any info for us to consider but would come back in a half hour, they haven't despite going past twice now and even visiting next door.

It all sounds a bit suspicious....i would tip off the local garda station...no harm in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The next time you answer the door or meet a chugger on the street you should ask them for a loan of €50. Usually shuts them up.

I'd be ringing the Guards about the red vests though, it sounds very dodgy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What would the guards actually do though? I was thinking of calling them over next time they go by and asking why they're around all day and to see their ID. I've found now that they do have an Irish subsidary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They came to my house and somebody else answered. Both were non-Irish Nationals and were looking for a monthly/weekly donation. They were very persistant but would not leave any information for us to study. They represented some crowd called HRI and it was a Research Group.

The next time they call I'll tell them to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Well they can verify whether or not these people are genuine or not. If you see identification have you the training & administration back up to find out if it is a proper registered charity that has representatives in the area?
    Also it's no harm to make them aware that these people are in the area because you need a permit from the local Garda station to collect money for charity. These people may not have a valid permit.
    And it might stop them calling to your door hounding you for your hard earned cash.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    They came to my house and somebody else answered. Both were non-Irish Nationals and were looking for a monthly/weekly donation. They were very persistant but would not leave any information for us to study. They represented some crowd called HRI and it was a Research Group.

The next time they call I'll tell them to **** off.

That's them but one of these lads is Irish. It's just the hitting one house on the street then fecking off and coming back later. Why not just hit them all in a line? Makes no sense. Also why didn't they come back when they said they would? Shouldn't be letting the ****ers ruin my evening I suppose.

Called Salthill Garda Station and they were concerned enough to send a car out. Hopefully it's above board but if not at least I've done something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 midouri

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Called Salthill Garda Station and they were concerned enough to send a car out. Hopefully it's above board but if not at least I've done something.

Good thinking...Irish people in general are reluctant to call the guards and think someone else will do it but....the more that call and report these things the better!! At least by doing this you may have prevented some future burglaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Here Here. Well done for calling the guards.
    We Irish do tend to be wary of calling the police.
    Something seriously has to be done in relation to chuggers.
    They annoy us on shop street and now they are calling to our homes.
    Can the city council not put some by-law in place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They have been around all evening here in Knocknacarra, called a number of times but I was too busy enjoying my chill to bother with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Yes like the other posters said-Id call the Gardai.It does sound suspicious.

They came back! Asked about being about all day and checking one house at a time. Just said they were trying to get every house. They had ID cards and I noted names just in case and told them to be aware that their odd behaviour might make residents uneasy. Seemed taken aback by it! Anyway I reckon they are being paid to collect and have nothing better to do. Won't be calling back here in a hurry after the grilling they got anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

A few months ago, a dude called to our house, looking for donations for a charity for brain damaged children.
    Had id etc..., had no problems that he was legit.

I stopped him after about 30 seconds and asked him if he was going to be looking for bank account details and he said yes.
    I politely told him I don't give out bank details. Also asked him if there was a website or leaflet with more details.
    Response I got was an ignorant, well fine then, type grunt.
    Wrong response, slams door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The coast is clear...

*well no sign of em yet anyway ;)

The coast is clear...

*well no sign of em yet anyway ;)

Worse than the Mormons, at least they only call once. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mormons don't usually go door to door.

You're thinking jehova's witnesses - prosthelization is part of their religion. They're different - they're the ones with all the child abuse scandals. The mormons are the ones with all the polygamus sect scandals.

Xiney - keeping track of all the religions of the world based on why they're probably going to hell anyway since 1985.

Xiney wrote: »
    mormons don't usually go door to door.

You're thinking jehova's witnesses - prosthelization is part of their religion. They're different - they're the ones with all the child abuse scandals. The mormons are the ones with all the polygamus sect scandals.

Xiney - keeping track of all the religions of the world based on why they're probably going to hell anyway since 1985.

Well I know these guys have come to my door over the years:
    http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e419fb40e21cef00VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints#Missionary

There are polyamous Mormon sects, but the majority of Mormons are just regular conservative religious.

I've never actually had Jehova's Witnesses at the door, but I did go to school with one and she was totally lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

wow, never had a mormon come to my door - who knew! I stand corrected (but not on the scandals that made them famous! That I'm sure about)

And yeah, I've known lots of sound jehova's witnesses, they're generally really nice people. Consequently I never yell at them or tell them to f*ck off if they come to my door (not worth it on anyone anyway, apart from maybe politicians) The only two mormons I've known though, one was gay and left the church and was pretty cool, and the other was a total bitch but it had very little to do with her religion, I'd wager.

Xiney wrote: »
    wow, never had a mormon come to my door - who knew! I stand corrected (but not on the scandals that made them famous! That I'm sure about)

Tis true, but the sex scandal stuff is church members who broke off into sects because they did not like the church modernising. They're not officially Mormon, so you'll see they have a different church name when referring to themselves, and the news will refer to them as a Mormon sect and would get their asses handed to them if they said they were Mormon.

The LDS missionaries are the lads in suits with usually black badges on them. AFAIK there are some Baptist Missionaries about as well and these are the lads who will ask you "Have you Accepted Jesus Christ as your Personal Saviour?" when you open the door. The Jehovah's Witnesses get all the credit!

Advertisement