Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Championship Mode Update on Friday

Options
  • 23-04-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post this for those who might not be aware of it and I didnt see any mention of it on here.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2009/04/16/sfivs_free_championship_mode_update_
    Championship Mode, in a nutshell, means hot tournament action and match replays that let you watch the best of the best. Championship Mode goes live for both PS3 and Xbox 360 on Friday, April 24, and it comes entirely FREE.
    Capcom is bringing new options to Street Fighter IV with an eye towards serious players. Street Fighter IV’s Championship Mode update expands on the fighting fun by offering players the chance to compete in tournaments and to watch replays of the best tournament matches. Best of all: it comes to you at no cost! The Championship Mode update will be available for both PS3 and Xbox 360 owners on Friday, April 24 (times TBD).

Championship Mode offers you the chance to compete in 5 different grades of tournaments, creating the right challenge for players of every skill level. You’ll score Grade Points (GP) for tournament wins, and as your GP total grows, you’ll become eligible to enter into more exclusive tournaments. Winning tournaments will also net you Championship Points (CP). CP are like “prize money” up for grabs in the tournament. The higher the GP skill of the players in a particular tournament, the bigger the CP prize!

Replay Mode allows you to select and watch the best Championship Mode tournament matches.

On the PlayStation Network, you can rate matches while you watch according to characteristics such as “awesome” or “funny.” Replays are then ranked based on these vote ratings.

On Xbox Live, instead of rating the matches, you can choose to download and save your favorite replays to study the players’ techniques. You’ll also be able to turn on the input commands from both players to be able to review their button and joystick motions in precise detail.

I'm actually very pissed off. I've been hearing about this update that was doing to add a replay mode to the game well before SFIV was even released over here and I was REALLY looking forward having replays of epic matchs I have with people online.

Replays are also a great way to see holes in your game and so forth. I thought I was going to have replays save to my HD after matchs for me to watch back if I feel like it. As implies by the name. But its looking like its barley even a replay feature at all. **** sake :mad::mad::mad:

I like this though but its only in tournaments:
    Last, but most certainly not least, disconnecters, aka pullers, aka ragequitters, your days are numbered: If you disconnect during a match, the system will also dock you your progress in the tournament, so pullers will never be able to advance into the higher ranks of tournaments. What’s even more fun is that the system also happily displays your disconnect percentage, so if you've got a bad habit, it's right there for everyone to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, that's really **** about the replays. Do I also remember when they originally talking about replays that everyone could record their own and upload to a dedicated website for anyone to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jim wrote: »
    Yea, that's really **** about the replays. Do I also remember when they originally talking about replays that everyone could record their own and upload to a dedicated website for anyone to watch?

As far as I remember the early bits of info about this basically gave the impression that if you play championship mode you'd automatically have replays of matchs you play and then have a choice on if you wanna upload that replay.

I think you'd watch other peoples replays through a option in-game and not a website. Just like what its going to be doing with 'top player replays' now. Its not a replay mode at all, its a 'watch players with high points' feature. Which is load of bollocks. If anyone wants to watch top players , they've youtube and so forth, where you can watch 'REAL' top players, tourney players.

On 2DF every match you played generated a tiny replay file that automatically uploaded to the website for anyone and everyone to watch. http://2dfighter.com/games/default.aspx?game=3

Supcom had something similar, a reply system where you could keep all the replays you wanted, and watch other people replays in ranked matchs.

All replays are , are simple tiny files that make a record of the users inputs, and play those back using the games engine. Its a basic feckin thing. bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Incidentally:
    Capcom Europe SFIV Official Tournament

Xbox LIVE only :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Something tells me well get replays for everyone really soon. With paid for DLC.

And just when i had managed to pull off chun lis air combo into ultra setup too. Would lvoe to see replays of that :(

GG CAPCOM

Official patch has borked the game, and barred all but the top 5000 people from playing the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Haha, you serious?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Incidentally:
    Capcom Europe SFIV Official Tournament

Xbox LIVE only :(

Doesnt matter, capcom decided Ireland was not part of the EU and didnt include us anyways, 360 or not.

Everyone here whos got SFIV should join this for the lulz, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543800

I played little online tourneys on 2df and it put a interesting spin on playing the game , its not about winning its about taking part.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    And just when i had managed to pull off chun lis air combo into ultra setup too. Would lvoe to see replays of that :(

Nice. Replays are great for that, you've a really close match and you pull off something like that. Or when someone pulls that off on you, help you learn how to do it/counter it as you can watch back with out being in the heat of battle so you can take in much more. Fighting games are a great spectator game :p

Is the patch out? I'm in college so I've not tried it yet if its out already.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Haha, you serious?

a few reports on different forums say its knackered online alright, but might be just on 360 as one guy said his ps3 version is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

0ubliette wrote: »

I know, I pulled off a textbook Akuma flowchart win yesterday :o If only I had a recording of that :rolleyes:
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Everyone here whos got SFIV should join this for the lulz, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543800

I'm in. So if anyone's thinking of not playing because only the pros are doing it, think again as I'm in it :pac: It will be nice to get my ass handed to me... oh and now there are recordings of it... brilliant! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Tis fun, I'm currently ranked 72nd on the GP leaderboards. I'm sure that'll soon end as I'm gonna go make food, but hurray.

edit: The lame thing is (on xbox) you can only upload a replay if you're in the top 5000 CP, and then when you do, I think it goes back to 0.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It will be nice to get my ass handed to me... oh and now there are recordings of it... brilliant! :rolleyes:

Nope there isnt. They BSed us. A real replay system better be on the PC version..:mad:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah nonesense update.

The PC version's release date will be announced on May 1st. I can only hope a decent online system is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

how exactly does championship mode work? I've played a few rounds in it and I've found the players I've been matched against are a lot more similar to me in skill level. A lot more so than the other 2 modes.

They're dynamic tournaments, you're matched against someone in your grade, if you win, then next time you'll be matched against someone who also just won one, if you win that then you'll be matched against someone who just won two also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I quite like the championship mode cause you get to fight a lot more decent fighters and none of them will rage quit on you. Also I feel like I can play other characters if I want to mess around cause if you loose it doesn't matter. You only start again from that sub grade until you get 3 wins in a roll and move up. I am get grade G3-B at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Hit 54th in the world last night, wonder how far I've dropped....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I can never find anyone with a decent connection to play :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

At the moment Im 40th in the world championship point rankings with 42474 points in one tourney. Im only like 200th in grade points but the CP is all about beating good people in tournements and I'll be honest, Im well chuffed coz im the highest irish player on the list :D

Pity I wont stay there.

GP is a much better ranking system for skill than CP imo, though well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How so? GP is based not on skill, but on time. You could win 50% of your matches and still end up in like G1 if you put enough hours in. You only get really high CP by beating several top rated players ina row in tournament play. They are inter-related, but in my mind its a better litmus test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement