Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perceived IT skills shortage

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jank wrote: »
    eh?

Not sure what you mean by that, but if my post wasn't clear, I work for an IT company who has trouble getting employees in Ireland. So have a look at the advert, and if your experience/skills roughly match up, apply if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

problem with IT jobs in ireland is that they nearly all require u to have a european language........ this essentially rules out most of the irish applicants..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

problem with IT jobs in ireland is that they nearly all require u to have a european language........ this essentially rules out most of the irish applicants..
    Eh? that's not true. Support jobs yes, but definately not programming jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Eh? that's not true. Support jobs yes, but definately not programming jobs

hes thinking of it support jobs like SAP i would not even call that IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Can someone tell me the advantages of studying Computer Science, Linguistics and French in trinity college? I really like french and computers so it looks like a really interesting course, however what is linguistics and will the extras help me get a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ionix5891 wrote: »
    hes thinking of it support jobs like SAP i would not even call that IT
    Say what?!?

You wouldn't call one of the biggest software companies in the world I.T.?

Or maybe you're talking about their support op in the Eastpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Say what?!?

You wouldn't call one of the biggest software companies in the world I.T.?

Or maybe you're talking about their support op in the Eastpoint?

im talking about "IT" support reading out answers from a script over the phone

as for SAP software i unfortunately had the privilege of working with that utter rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the advantages of studying Computer Science, Linguistics and French in trinity college? I really like french and computers so it looks like a really interesting course, however what is linguistics and will the extras help me get a job?

Linguistics is its own area and well worth getting into IMO. It is the study of natural language so useful if you want to get into search engine and other things.

Look it up on wikipedia.

If French is being offered as well then they you can probably be expected to make some sort of primitive translator in the course at some point and you'd be looking at that area if you liked the idea of the course I'd say.

Although it probably wouldn't stop you getting into another area as it will have most of the normal computer science stuff in there too I'd imagine and the natural language side of things would be the focus of the course but you couldn't do it without learning a programming language. You'd probably look at how computer languages are developed too and maybe make your own compiler at some point.

That's just from the name though, someone who works there could probably give you more info. Names can be misleading sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

dave-higgz wrote: »

Unless you're keen on tech support or localisation maybe, forget that course. Make it easier for yourself and just do the IT part (computer science). Linguistics is roughly how natural languages are constructed.

If you do the French you will naturally have to lose some of the subjects the CS guys will be doing so you wont be as strong in that area as you could be. Likewise for the French part.

You can always do a post grad with languages after if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Owen101 wrote: »
    Unless you're keen on tech support or localisation maybe, forget that course. Make it easier for yourself and just do the IT part (computer science). Linguistics is roughly how natural languages are constructed.

If you do the French you will naturally have to lose some of the subjects the CS guys will be doing so you wont be as strong in that area as you could be. Likewise for the French part.

You can always do a post grad with languages after if you want.

Well I thought that knowing how natural language works will help you better understand programming language??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that, but if my post wasn't clear, I work for an IT company who has trouble getting employees in Ireland. So have a look at the advert, and if your experience/skills roughly match up, apply if interested.

Oh right sorry mis-understood you there. Ill send a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 canadiantz

Hello,

We are looking for a programmer and web design guy for a new business development here in Ireland.

Basically, We have a business plan that has the potential to change the retail industry in ireland, and we're looking for someone with the skills to develop an auction site, and the know how to create a system that can send information from the purchaser to the retail outlet, please get in contact.

If you are an entrapeneur at heart, and have the skills necessary to complete these tasks, and will be able to lead a team of IT professionals, please get in contact with me ASAP.

Regards,

Advertisement